Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Wild Edible Plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wild Edible Plants

Yeah, regarding bears, there's the controversy about Timothy Treadwell, whom I'm sure you heard of since he lived with bears for 13 years in Alaska before he and his girlfriend got partially eaten by one... I do think there are some lessons to learn about body language that might help in defense against bears, but it's probably safest to still carry a weapon that can bail you out if all else fails. Another lesson is that walking around in fall is more dangerous than in summer or spring, since the bears are trying to pack as much body fat as possible for the winter in the fall.

If people decide to post pictures of mushrooms, I think they should include pictures of lookalikes that are poisonous, and in categories (such as boletes) that are common, to mention how there are tons and tons of varieties, of which many are toxic. Whereas for the morel, they are all safe, except that there are false morels (they look similar to the former, and yet are part of an entirely different division of fungi, you can say as distant as humans from lizards if you will) which are considered very poisonous. Links should be provided in this case, explaining ways to distinguish, and how similar some varieties can be, for example the last picture in the following link reminds one greatly of true morels: http://www.morelmushroom.info/Danger...se_Morels.html

In this link, there's a video which shows how the caps of skirt cap false morels (which are the most reminiscent of true morels) can be easily twisted off, whereas for the true morel, the caps are attached to the stem and cannot be removed without breaking it off.

Another great link, which explains the easiest way to distinguish between false morels and true morels, is to cut them lengthwise to see if the stem is hollow (true morel), or full and meaty (false morel): http://thegreatmorel.com/falsemorel.html
    Last edited by jgk3; 06-24-2012, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. Timothy Tredwell got by for 13 years amongst the big bruins is a testament to how laid back many of the bruisers up here are but to assume you are safe amongst them can easily cost your life no matter how many times one has safely walked with them.
      Again, thanks for the technical and highly enlightening info..
      Artashes

Comment

no problem, I'm learning this stuff at the same time too, even reviewing them and editing my post to try to be more accurate in info.

Comment

Originally posted by Artashes View Post
          A suggestion --- anytime someone shows a picture of a plant on this thread --- tell everyone viewing if they are poisnes or edible. The picture that you (Retro) showed is beautiful in my eyes. I would love to see what that tastes like. Is that ok?
          Artashes
          Porcini mushrooms are edible and they are used extensively dried in Italian cooking.

I harvest them in a very special secret location, then clean them in this manner, prior to returning to the drying facility.Harvesting in remote coastal BC C...

Comment

Hey, found this link on Porcini mushrooms, they grow around certain trees, like Spruce, pine, Birch, Oak and Hemlock, apparently the best time to pick them is late summer and fall. Talks about lookalikes and of other boletes which are poisonous: http://leslieland.com/2008/09/the-mu...utumn-porcini/

Comment

I found a link for low-growing fungus growing on Birch and Aspen trees, known as the True Tinder Fungus, prized for its ability to hold ignited coals for extended periods of time, and reports that as a tea it's known to have anti-cancer properties... Perhaps this is the one mentioned in your story Artashes? http://wildwoodsurvival.com/survival...ngus/true.html

The polypore growing higher up on the birch trees which I posted earlier (Birch Polypore) is also prized as tinder, but along with certain other shelf-type polypores seems to work well as a hearthboard itself for starting a fire using a hand-drill or bow-drill. Check this link out:

Last edited by jgk3; 06-26-2012, 11:56 AM.

Comment

On the pleasures of wild edibles ---
                In 1977 myself and a friend from New Zealand (Ken, around Christ Church) set of on a moped from Seward,Alaska (Resurection Bay) on the only road connecting Seward to Anchorage(Alaska). About 21 miles down this road if you leave the road going north(approx) for 7 miles there is a lake called lost lake. Post card beautiful scenery the whole way. All along the way wild blueberrys were growing and it was perfect picking time.
                Had some of the best blueberry pancakes that day.
                Also met my first Wolverine that day up close. An interesting fella in deed and fortunately for me friendly.
                Thanks for the scholarly input Joseph.
                Artashes

Comment

np, you can call me Jeff btw. I'd love to see Alaska someday, all the wolverines known to be friendly?

Wild blueberries, yum... Last summer I had these for the first time in the East coast actually, in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. My dad was complaining that I was obsessing over them instead of enjoying an amazing view from the mountaintop of the ocean and the scenic cliffs and forests surrounding us :P

Unfortunately, we don't find wild blueberries much in the city, not even in our green areas. I think you really have to go out in the countryside. And instead of growing on bushes, they grew close to the ground when I found them, but they were growing everywhere I walked! And they were delicious, something about nature's authenticity in growing these fruits surpasses the ones bought in stores, even if the latter are sweet and juicy. I also think picking them yourself gets you the freshest, most alive tasting fruit you can get.

Last edited by jgk3; 06-28-2012, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
                    Hey, found this link on Porcini mushrooms, they grow around certain trees, like Spruce, pine, Birch, Oak and Hemlock, apparently the best time to pick them is late summer and fall. Talks about lookalikes and of other boletes which are poisonous: http://leslieland.com/2008/09/the-mu...utumn-porcini/
                    They grow around the decomposing root system of old Birch and Oak trees during the autumn. The dangerous one Boletus satanas (Devil's Boletus) is very different from Boletus Edulis. However you need to know what your doing when you pick mushrooms and how to identify them.

This is the bad one. The Devil's Boletus!

Last edited by retro; 06-29-2012, 03:08 AM.

Comment

The wolverine is a relentless killing machine. It has unbelievable energy and persistance which is matched by a huge appetite to support its energetic lifestyle. A good size wolverine will make a good sized meal out of you so be careful.
                      Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Working...
                      X