Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Wild Edible Plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wild Edible Plants

Nice pic retro. I'll try to identify these mushrooms in the woods (I don't find many mushrooms usually, I have to go on the right day, I guess if the weather has been rainy the past few days?).

For beginners, I think it's crucial to not try to find mushrooms to eat, so much as to familiarize yourself with their characteristics... Even for seasoned mushroom hunters, there are cases where someone makes one careless error, and ends up getting poisoned, even dying. So it's always important to familiarize oneself with the class of mushroom, its characteristics and how they are expressed by the different species. Do your research and learn about all the lookalikes, and always make sure you can positively identify what you want to eat based on this.

From what I've been reading, maybe the morphology of Boletus Edulis is reliable enough to distinguish it from all other species if you really know what you're doing, but in other cases, an edible species is too similar to a toxic species to trust oneself with eating. In extreme cases, where the morphology of a fungi is practically indistinguishable from another species, only a genetic test can identify a particular species. When a theoretically edible of mushroom (or type of mushroom) has potentially toxic lookalikes that are too similar to distinguish from, it's best to leave them alone.

I don't want to scare people, or over-complicate mushroom hunting though, I just want to express my idea of how to be safe vs how to take chances (or even guarantee an event of poisoning).

Haykakan, I looked into the wolverine being dangerous to humans, though it's a killing machine towards its prey and can do serious damage to people if provoked and cornered, they are normally timid of humans and will only attack if they feel they cannot escape us. As long as they're given plenty of space, and aren't suddenly startled by us, they generally aren't a threat.
    Last edited by jgk3; 06-29-2012, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Am enjoying comments, conversation, pictures and info on this thread. Great idea and thanks to all for participating.
      Maybe I was misunderstood about friendliness of Wolverine. I thought he(wolverine) was friendly because he didn't try to jump my friend and I and neither did he show hostility or aggression.
      Have to go
      ---

Comment

Originally posted by Artashes View Post
        Am enjoying comments, conversation, pictures and info on this thread. Great idea and thanks to all for participating.
        Maybe I was misunderstood about friendliness of Wolverine. I thought he(wolverine) was friendly because he didn't try to jump my friend and I and neither did he show hostility or aggression.
        Have to go
        ---
        Don't think I would use the word timid to describe wolverines though. What the wolverine showed my friend and I that day was a complete lack of interest or concern.
        However feel this next story is important to convey.
        A friend was up in the Cascade mountains. He went fishing one day and caught some fish. Was Harding back to camp when a wolverine appeared out of nowhere(that's how they always show up). The wolverine came straight toward my friend. Both my opinion and my friends was the wolverine was not interested in the man but wanted the fish. My friend only had a fishing pole but otherwise--- have to go again
        --

Comment

Originally posted by Artashes View Post
          Don't think I would use the word timid to describe wolverines though. What the wolverine showed my friend and I that day was a complete lack of interest or concern.
          However feel this next story is important to convey.
          A friend was up in the Cascade mountains. He went fishing one day and caught some fish. Was Harding back to camp when a wolverine appeared out of nowhere(that's how they always show up). The wolverine came straight toward my friend. Both my opinion and my friends was the wolverine was not interested in the man but wanted the fish. My friend only had a fishing pole but otherwise--- have to go again
          --
          He had no weapon so he dropped the fish and left. I was not there or surly would have tried to prevent what happened next. Friend went back to camp and got a shot gun then went back to find wolverine having lunch. Knew the wolverine would come straight for him --- a sad story. The point being -- if you have something a wolverine wants they will show no temerity when expressing what they want.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
            np, you can call me Jeff btw. I'd love to see Alaska someday, all the wolverines known to be friendly?

Wild blueberries, yum... Last summer I had these for the first time in the East coast actually, in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. My dad was complaining that I was obsessing over them instead of enjoying an amazing view from the mountaintop of the ocean and the scenic cliffs and forests surrounding us :P

Unfortunately, we don't find wild blueberries much in the city, not even in our green areas. I think you really have to go out in the countryside. And instead of growing on bushes, they grew close to the ground when I found them, but they were growing everywhere I walked! And they were delicious, something about nature's authenticity in growing these fruits surpasses the ones bought in stores, even if the latter are sweet and juicy. I also think picking them yourself gets you the freshest, most alive tasting fruit you can get.

Your fathers obsession remark reminds me of ken and I trying to get blueberrys in the bag to take back with us. Initially the blueberrys kept finding their way into our mouths instead of the bag. Same problem with picking cherrys in Utah.
            Nova Scotia--- mmmm --- close to Nova Scotia is Labrador(Canada). If your ever in Labrador look to the streams and rivers on a sunny day. Labradorite(a rock) occurs naturally in these streams and is spectacular in its natural setting. A plain grey rock but has a " Schiller" effect somewhat similar to tigers eye. If oriented to the light properly it glows a beautiful electric blue. One can go to these streams and they look - magical - .
            My friend brought me back a box of these stones-- lucky me --
            Artashes

Comment

That is sad about your friend and the wolverine... If I had his mentality, I would've shot my dog dozens of times already for stealing my food

Your discussion about all these gems and pretty rocks has gotten me interested in collecting them. I've also been reading about fire-starting using rocks. Apparently you don't need flint, you can do just fine with quartz, found in old river beds or mining sites, by striking a sharp edge of the crystal against high carbon steel vigorously, causing the steel to become molten... this if it lands on a tinder bundle can start a fire. I've also been interested in finding rocks to knap with, to make stone blades. I seem to find the same old clay type rocks everywhere though. Maybe if I go to the mountain, I'll find more interesting formations.

Comment

That is sad about your friend and the wolverine... If I had his mentality, I would've shot my dog dozens of times already for stealing my food

Your discussion about all these gems and pretty rocks has gotten me interested in collecting them. I've also been reading about fire-starting using rocks. Apparently you don't need flint, you can do just fine with quartz, found in old river beds or mining sites, by striking a sharp edge of the crystal against high carbon steel vigorously, causing the steel to become molten... this if it lands on a tinder bundle can start a fire. I've also been interested in finding rocks to knap with, to make stone blades. I seem to find the same old clay type rocks everywhere though. Maybe if I go to the mountain, I'll find more interesting formations.
                Yes I too was extremely displeased with friends action and attitude. A real shame.
                New Era Gems -- Grass Valley, California on a road named Rattlesnake road is owned by Steve Ulitowski(sp?) puts out nice catalog and is straight shooter.Also Snyder and sons(sp?) out of San Diego,Ca. Puts out nice catalog. Both are helpful souls for inquisitive questions concerning stones.
                Mountains are generally good place for rock hounding. Also streams/rivers. However lowland needs to be looked at with imagination. Think of what the land shape looked like 1000, 10,000, 1,000,000 etc years ago and then look.
                Upper Michigan peninsula has much copper and excellent pipestone. Canada is rich -- have to go--2

Comment

Also you mention interest in starting fire. As a child was mesmerized by the word "tinderbox". Before I had to come out of retirement I was carving most every day. One of my favorite things to carve we're tinderboxes. Of the many shapes I've made one was the main stalk of a naturally shed Elk antler. Cut one side of round and make lid of cut piece. Hollow the main part and make compartments for various useful fire starting stuff then inlay stones and ivory and metals.
                  How I miss being retired. Sigh
                  Also used to always carry finely flaked magnesium(plenty) for tough fire starting times.
                  Artashes

Comment

Thanks for the tip, and I find it cool that you used to carve... I would totally do that too if I weren't so busy myself. If I may ask, how come you came out of retirement?

Comment

Thanks for the tip, and I find it cool that you used to carve... I would totally do that too if I weren't so busy myself. If I may ask, how come you came out of retirement?
                      Hate to say I was stupid but...
                      14 years ago(approx.) lived on Kodiak Island. Several old WW2 front loader boats were being used to deliver supplies to outlying villages. Pull up to the beach, drop the front ramp and drive a truck off or simply offload supplies. A couple of buddies were running one of these between villages and ran one aground. The idiots were drinking. I financed everything and put in several hundred hours to boot. To cut a long story short the boat pays the main fiberglasser and he goes from pay house straight to airport. By the time I catch on and get to airport plane is gone. Dispite the fact I was honest in all my actions I find great fault with me.
                      I made my money by sitting in a small well lite room not financing others. That cost me 15 years.
                      As Arnold once said: xxxx happens.
                      Artashes

Comment

Working...
                      X