Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Wild Edible Plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wild Edible Plants

sorry to hear that... I don't know how to express it because I haven't experienced it. The reason I just wrote "sorry to hear that..." at first was simply because I did not want to pretend I knew your pain, but I realized that it was too cold on its own and doesn't reflect that I felt for you regardless.
    Last edited by jgk3; 07-13-2012, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Jerusalem Artichoke:

I'm quite certain I found the large, yellow flowers of these tall plants before in September. Learned a lot about them from this video, the tubers are cultivated and eaten as a potato substitute for diabetics. I've always been searching for some root crops that are easy to grow or find, that provide you with sustenance, and I think this is a good example of that.

Comment

Today while I was in the woods, I noticed that wherever there were dragonflies, there are no mosquitoes Which means you can hang around in those sections and relax, and really take your time observing everything around you without worry if you get bothered by those blood suckers.

I also found some eastern prickly gooseberries, the ripe ones are delicious! They were growing on the forest edge, a pleasant surprise treat:

(Correction about the spikes): they can prick if you squeeze your fingers too hard against the ripened fruit, but you can chew the berry and neutralize the spikes very easily without pain, the reward for this lack of intimidation is its distinct, very pleasant taste.
        Last edited by jgk3; 07-24-2012, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
          sorry to hear that... I don't know how to express it because I haven't experienced it. The reason I just wrote "sorry to hear that..." at first was simply because I did not want to pretend I knew your pain, but I realized that it was too cold on its own and doesn't reflect that I felt for you regardless.
          Jeff, thanks for the thought. No worries.

Comment

Today while I was in the woods, I noticed that wherever there were dragonflies, there are no mosquitoes Which means you can hang around in those sections and relax, and really take your time observing everything around you without worry if you get bothered by those blood suckers.

I also found some eastern prickly gooseberries, the ripe ones are delicious! They were growing on the forest edge, a pleasant surprise treat:

don't be intimidated by the spikes, they don't poke us at all.
            Again enjoyed the gooseberry pics and info. We in Alaska are rich in wild edible berries. I'll try to gather names of various berries and pics such as the salmon berries etc to share and help keep thread alive.
            We have both the Dragon fly and the Damsel fly up here and yes the mosquitoes are in big trouble around these master acrobatic fliers. I enjoy the company of both Dragon and Damsel flies and believe they show an interest in us. Like many in the animal kingdom if a person is in the woods alone they will come close to first observe us and many times introduce themselves to us. Both the Damsel and Dragon fly will act similar to the swallows and come play around and accompany a non threatening person.
            Artashes

Comment

Cool I'm happy to read your posts again.

I've been so caught up with learning only what's common in the east, because I can actually find it personally in my area, but I'd be fascinated the read about the types of berries you guys have, we don't have ones like the salmon berry, which makes them that much more exotic for people like me here.

Comment

Cool I'm happy to read your posts again.

I've been so caught up with learning only what's common in the east, because I can actually find it personally in my area, but I'd be fascinated the read about the types of berries you guys have, we don't have ones like the salmon berry, which makes them that much more exotic for people like me here.
                To JGK3: I have nice info/ pic on Salmon berries(both varieties) in Alaska but once again am playing hell with iPad 3. Apparently when the apple "expert" wrote the 3 pages of instructions for me to follow(how intuitive) she also assumed the one thing she put on my computer that ties everything together was known to me.
                Hey, I dressed myself this morning but you don't want to push it any further than that. I guess she didn't know that.
                Will get final (I hope) piece to the puzzle in next couple of days and post --- Salmon berries ---
                Artashes

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X