Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Last names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last names

i have always wandered this and nobody has ever given me an exact answer...so maybe ya'll can help me

why is it that most (almost all) Armenian last names end with a
    -yan or -ian?

another question: my last name ends with -ts, well it ends with -iants, but how come mine ends with -ts rather then just -ian, does anybody know any history behind it?

and don't say that my last name is the only last name that ends with -ts, b/c one of my very close friends (who is Armenian) last name also ends with -ts and i've heard and read of several other Armenians whose last name ends with -ts or -tz

please solve the mystery

I wouldn't know how there are last names that don't end in -yan, but the two other "minority" endings would probably be the "ts" and "ni".

Most royal families had last names that ended with -ni, such as Arshagouni, Knouni, Bakhlavooni, Siuni, etc. There were of course the ian-s too, like Mamigonian for example.

And their kingdoms were referred to as Arshagooniants takavorootyoon, Knounyants takavorotyooon, yevayln.

Therefore, the -nts ending probably shows from what region you come from, or from which family you're descended.

It's deeeeefinitely Armenian though. Nobody can say anything about that. Just less common...

Comment

Also I think some Armenian didn't have last names, and they were called using there dads name, like if your dads name was Hagop theyd be like Souren Hagop, after a while families started adding ian to what there last name would be, instead of Souren Hagop, it would be Souren Hagopian.

Comment

so does that mean my family was part of a kingdom???
        hehehe.....so does that make me a princess

Princess Inessa..now doesnt that just fit perfectly together

ahhhhhh....that would be the day

Comment

hey my last name was originally Zeitlints.

some of my relatives evolved it to Zeitlian and Zeitlian.

My dad has it as Zetilyan. I kept it short Zetlyan.

The root of the last name is the important part, the rest is due to time and regional bullxxxx.

Comment

Armenian last names rule man....in a lot of cases its the only way u could tell if someone is Armenian or not....its so awesome.....although some of em are too long, but whatever they're so unique!

Comment

a little off topic, well not really, i was at the hawaii vs usc fball game this year, and on the hawaii team there was a player with a last name that sounded armenian. and he was playing defense so he kept getting burned so it would be like mike williams 12 yards on edgarian. im like wow thats cool. but it came out 2 be edgariam or something, but it made me pay attention to that guy 10 times more.

Comment

I personally get excited when during my first day of school. When the professor calls out names and stuff, I listen carefully for Armenian names...unless it's like Gago Gagoyan...then I try to make friends with him/her. Janaaa I'm so nice! My last name is actually the first name of my great great great great great grandfather, with a "yan" at the end. I used to think that all Armenian last names were like that, but then I heard that Armenians from Turkey and some other Mid-East countries use the profession of the ancestor, and add a "ian" at the end. Por ejemplo, my best friend's last name is Tatloyan.....Her ancestors owned a sugar company....Tatle (which means sugar) coms from that. I think.

Alright that's enough!

Comment

hahhaha
                  or during the first day of class, when the teacher stares at a last name and kinda stops there, and I KNOW FOR A FACT it's MY last name without her/him pronouncing even the first letter.
                  can't beat DEKERMENJIAN.
                  lol
                  yup
                  that would be my last name in English.
                  terrible.
                  yet another reason I should reconsider getting married

Comment

//deleted//
                    Last edited by Mischa; 02-23-2004, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X