Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Fahrenheit 911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway...

I would say the movie is not going to be all good and all bad. His previous movies were not all good or all bad. If you do not care, that is one thing. But leave presumptions out of criticism.
    Last edited by ckBejug; 06-29-2004, 12:51 PM.

Comment

I'd rather sit home and count my pennies again.
      That's what I'll be doing too.

Comment

Originally posted by dusken
        I would say the movie is not going to be all good and all bad. His previous movies were not all good or all bad. If you do not care, that is one thing. But leave presumptions out of criticism.
        Only problem is he calls them "documentaries".

Comment

An excellent point made by Jeffrey Tucker on the LRC Blog:

Tom's post argues that Moore's film focusses so much energy on exposing Bush and the Republicans, to the exclusion of the regime in the broadest sense, that one receives a distorted view: the problem isn't the state as such but rather the bad guys and interest groups that control the state.

Tom's point is exactly right. However: this is precisely the same mistake that the Clinton haters made in the 1990s. I recall hoping that all this Clinton bashing, including the attempted impeachment, would impart the bare-bones point that the government cannot be trusted. Surely, the rank-and-file would be less likely to favor government power in the future, after witnessing all of Clinton's abuses.

But no: the Clinton haters managed to somehow miss the broader point. I still hear GOPers going on about the big-government presidency of Clinton, as if they had been asleep for years. The adoration afforded Bush--the biggest big-government, arbitrary-power, shred-the-constitution, imperial president ever--is proof enough that these people never learn.

The two wings of American politics both favor some form of presidential dictatorship and only cry "Tyrant!" when the other guys are in power. Right now, the Left seems less threatening than the Right but only to the same extent to which the Right seemed less threatening than the Left during the 1990s. Libertarians have a nice solution to this problem: despise them all.
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

I listened to part of an interview with Moore who said he was also anti-Clinton as well. Or was it anti-Democrat? I cannot remember. Funny either way.

Comment

Originally posted by patlajan
              Did I say I watched the movie? No I didn't. Based on two of his movies I've seen I'm not gonna watch his next movie because I think he's a joke.

I'll watch the movie on cable when I need a good laugh. But my money is not going toward promoting more misinformation for the sake of humor.
              Did I say THIS current movie? NO, I didn't. You said he bends facts in his MOVIES. Plural.
              I am asking for examples of this fact bending.
              [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
              -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

I already posted a link for Bowling In Colombine. It's called www.bowlingfortruth.com. Go enlighten yourself.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
                  I already posted a link for Bowling In Colombine. It's called www.bowlingfortruth.com. Go enlighten yourself.
                  I havn't read the entire site, but from what I've seen it says the title is incorrect becaues the boys didn't go to bowling class that day... WHO THE HELL CARES? Does that matter?

and "was it fair to blame K-Mart?"

Did we see the same movie? I don't remember him blaming K-Mart. I remember him showing how easy it is for children to get ammunition and advocating stricter laws.

You think that saying children shouldn't be able to buy bullets at K-Mart is wrong?

-- like I said, i havn't read the entire thing and i dont have time to do it now, but at first glance at least, it seems to be misinterpreting messages of the movie or making assumptions about what they were at the very least and picking out petty, insignificant, falsities.

You can't say that Moore got it wrong that the boys went to bowling class that morning, so that discredits everything he says.

--------

** edit to add:
                  I read "Dude, Where's My Country?" and he does cite sources of information.
                  [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                  -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie
                    I havn't read the entire site, but from what I've seen it says the title is incorrect becaues the boys didn't go to bowling class that day... WHO THE HELL CARES? Does that matter?

and "was it fair to blame K-Mart?"

Did we see the same movie? I don't remember him blaming K-Mart. I remember him showing how easy it is for children to get ammunition and advocating stricter laws.

You think that saying children shouldn't be able to buy bullets at K-Mart is wrong?

-- like I said, i havn't read the entire thing and i dont have time to do it now, but at first glance at least, it seems to be misinterpreting messages of the movie or making assumptions about what they were at the very least and picking out petty, insignificant, falsities.

You can't say that Moore got it wrong that the boys went to bowling class that morning, so that discredits everything he says.

--------

** edit to add:
                    I read "Dude, Where's My Country?" and he does cite sources of information.

Read the part that explains the scene at the bank where he gets a free gun took two months and was set up in advance.
                    Also in the movie "The Big One", about people losing their jobs in the midwest, his movie said 30 thousand people lost their jobs when it was 10 thousand. His responce was that these are still people that lost their jobs and it doesn't matter if it was 30 thousand or 10 thousand. If that is so, why did he stretch the numbers?

Comment

Re: The Marilyn Manson Interview...

Even though I do not like Marilyn Manson and his "music," I would like to point out how unfair and hypocritical that critique is.

First of all, the author of that site somehow got the idea that if he shows how Moore's and Manson's arguments against the government were flawed, it would somehow validate pointing the finger at Marilyn Manson. Any attempt at pointing ones finger at a single thing for being the indirect cause of something like this is presumtuous and speculative.

Then there is this:
                      Moore then asks what Manson would say if he could talk directly to the kids at Columbine and the people in that community? What would he say?

Manson (solemnly): "I wouldn't say a single word to them. I'd listen to what they had to say. That's what no one did."

Clever way to dodge the question.
                      He did not dodge the question. Only a person who is an idiot and has a tendency for rhetoric in place of valid arguments would say such a thing.

Fans of Manson's work or not - looks at quotes and writings by the Columbine boys compared to Manson's lyrics - appears as though they shared a writer.
                      Really? From whose Republican, literature-doctorate perspective is that? "Um...this is violent and, um...that is violent. Wow, how similar they are." No. I used to listen to Manson's shytty music and I can tell you right off, that not only did most of it not make sense (it was evasive and abstract and said nothing directly) but it never really suggested that something was proper action on the part of the audience. And, he never said that the audience's peers were enemies in any way.

Oh, and how about that beauty, "Fans of Manson's work or not..." Laughable. Clever way to overlook the fact that THEY WERE NOT INFLUENCED BY MARILYN MANSON. When was that last time you hated an artist while not only respecting what they said and how they said it, but being extremely familiar with every word they wrote?

Let me add this:
                      Did anyone single out Chuck Palahniuk for "Fight Club"? Did anyone single out Arnold Schartzenegger for being in one action movie after another, at least one of which is shown on television everyday? Did anyone single out any of the other thousands of bands that at some point in time wrote violent or explicit lyrics? No. Is the reason they did not single out anyone else because all of the parents and the entire nation were already authorities on everything Marilyn Manson? No. They were just phucking stupid and did not want to blame themselves. I mean come on! The guy has paint on his face!
                      Last edited by dusken; 06-29-2004, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X