Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The meaning of your first name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

she is really pretty and i totally admire her diva like attitude... she is hot, she is TALENTED, and she has made young armenians go back and listen to music OHHHHH roughly 600 to 700 years old...

she rocks!!! she is someone who armenian women could look up to and say, WTF am i doing??? you know that saying: "nstem taghtin, spasem baghtin"??? well after seeing her i was like NO WAY... LOL! i am going to pave my own way... and look at me YAY!

Comment

lol

cute

--

Comment

Originally posted by nunechka
        she is really pretty and i totally admire her diva like attitude... she is hot, she is TALENTED, and she has made young armenians go back and listen to music OHHHHH roughly 600 to 700 years old...

she rocks!!! she is someone who armenian women could look up to and say, WTF am i doing??? you know that saying: "nstem taghtin, spasem baghtin"??? well after seeing her i was like NO WAY... LOL! i am going to pave my own way... and look at me YAY!

hMMMMMmmmm it sounds like a commercial for Yesayan.. I bet you really are Nune Yesayan

nice

Comment

i am not... lol

anywho, VARTAN means giver of roses... you can tell by splitting the name into 2...

vart - rose
          tan - give

Comment

name is Gor... as in Gor Eshxan(sp?)

Comment

My name is elusive.
              Achkerov kute.

Comment

why are you repeating yourself aziz? you already said this...

Comment

Originally posted by nunechka
                  why are you repeating yourself aziz? you already said this...
                  Did you say as5es? .
                  Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by gevo
                    THOSE STRANGE SOUNDING ARMENIAN FAMILY NAMES

Have you ever thought about the meaning of "ian"? Most Armenian names end
                    in "ian" or "yan," meaning the "son of ," but some Diaspora Armenians have
                    changed these endings to blend in their host societies. Today in Turkey
                    "oglu" often replaces "ian," while Russian Armenians may change the endings
                    to "ov"; e.g., Gary Kasparov, Serge Parajanov. A name ending in "ian" is
                    not always exclusively Armenian, since the ending can also be occasionally
                    found in names in Irish, Persian, English, Philippine and some other cultures.
                    Armenian last names generally fall into five specific categories:
                    Aristocracy, Parent, Geography, Occupation or Trait.

Aristocracy
                    The ancient Armenian aristocracy ("Nakharar" class) was derived from
                    Parthian-Persian stock and many of their names ended in "uni" or "ooni."
                    Most of these families were destroyed over the centuries but some still
                    survive today; e.g., Sasuni, Rshtuni.

Parent
                    Many Armenian names are derived from the first names of an ancestor,; e.g.,
                    Davidian, "son of David," Stepanian, "son of Stepan," or Krikorian, "son of
                    Krikor/Grigor." Until the 19th century, virtually all first names had a
                    religious origin, so most of those last names are also religious.

Geography
                    Some last names are based on geographic origin and end in "lian" (Turkish)
                    or "tsian" (Armenian). Typical examples are Sivaslian "from Sivas,"
                    Urfalian "from Urfa" and Vanetzian "from Van." These names were typically
                    given to an immigrant who migrated from a different region of Armenia.
                    Obviously everyone living in Marash would not call himself or herself
                    "Marashlian".

Occupation
                    Most last names were taken from the professions of an ancestor. These names
                    frequently originated with the tax collectors who needed to identify all
                    individuals for tax purposes. Typical examples are Najarian "son of a
                    carpenter," Arabian "son of a wagon/ teamster," and Vosgarichian "son of a
                    goldsmith." Many of these occupations are not Armenian, since the tax man
                    (typically a Moslem Turk, Persian, Arab, etc.) would use his own native
                    word for the occupation; e.g., the name Boyajian is based on the
                    Arab/Turkish term "boyaji" "one who dyes."

Trait
                    The most confusing and curious names are those based on some trait of an
                    ancestor. Typical examples are Topalian "son of the cripple," Dilsizian
                    "son of the tongueless one," or Sinanian "son of the spearpoint." Many of
                    the origins of these names are unclear unless one understands the original
                    context. As an example, Dilsizian indicates that an ancestor had his tongue
                    cut out by the Turks for using the Armenian language, while the term
                    "Sinan" was a slang term applied to somebody either with a very erect
                    military-like carriage or who was "hung like a horse." Some of these traits
                    are not physical, but rather reflect personality or social status; e.g.,
                    Melikian "son of the king" or Harutunian "son of the resurrection." The
                    name Harutunian could be based on an ancestor named Harutune (so-named
                    because he was born around Eastertime), or adopted by a convert to
                    Protestantism to show his status as a "born-again Christian."
                    Many last names today have been shortened or modified to aid pronunciations
                    by non-Armenians; e.g., the name "Mugerditchian/ Mkrtichian" becomes
                    "Mugar," "Husseniglian," becomes "Hewsen," and "Samourkashian" becomes
                    "Samour." These abbreviated names often drop the "ian" ending, and are not
                    immediately identifiable as being Armenian to an outsider.
                    The name categories of Occupation and Trait can differ significantly
                    between Eastern Armenians and Western Armenians, since the eastern names
                    often have Persian, Georgian or Russian roots, while the western names may
                    have Turkish, Arab, or Greek roots. Names with the prefix "Der" or "Ter"
                    show that one of the ancestors was a "Der Hayr" (a married parish priest),
                    a position of great social status among Armenians; e.g., DerBedrosian, Ter
                    Petrosian.
                    The study of Armenian Names is a fascinating exercise, since virtually
                    every aspect of the culture is reflected in names. There have been
                    extensive studies of Armenian names in the Armenian language, but little
                    has appeared in English and many Armenians (born outside of Armenia) do not
                    understand the significance of their own names.

The study of Armenian first names is also fascinating since virtually every
                    aspect of our culture is reflected in them.

GIRLS NAMES
                    AGHAVNI Armenian; "pigeon, dove"
                    ANAHID Armenian version of Diana. An Ancient Godess in Armenian Mythology
                    ANI Name of an ancient Armenian capital City
                    ANOUSH Armenian; "Sweet"
                    ARPIE Armenian; "rising of sun"
                    BERJOUIE Armenian; "gorgeous, elegant lady"
                    DEROUHI Armenian; "Lady of the house"
                    DZOVIG Armenian; "small sea"
                    GADAR Armenian; "apex, top of a mountain, perfect pure"
                    GAYANE Martyred Nun of Armenian Church. Cathedral built in name
                    HRIPSIME Martyred Nun of Armenian Church. Cathedral built in name
                    HOURIG Armenian; "small fire"
                    HAIGANOUSH Armenian; "sweet Armenian woman"
                    SATENIG Armenian; "An Armenian Princess"
                    SURPOOHIE Armenian: "sacred or holy women"
                    SIRANOUSH Armenian ; "Lovely woman"
                    SIRVARTArmenian: "dear rose, lovely rose"
                    SOSSYArmenian; "the plane tree"
                    TAKOUHIArmenian; "Queen, wearer of a crown"
                    TALINEName of an old old Armenian monastery
                    VARTOUHIArmenian; "beautiful as a rose"
                    VOSKIEArmenian; "gold"

BOYS NAMES
                    ANTRANIGArmenian; the oldest; the first born; coming first
                    ARA Name of legendary Armenian King and hero, Ara Keghetzig (Handsome)
                    ARAKELArmenian; "to send"
                    ARAMArmenian; "Father of King Ara"
                    AVEDISArmenian; good tidings, bringer of Good news
                    BAGHDASSARArmenian version of Balthasar; one of three wise Kings
                    BEDROSArmenian version of Peter
                    CARNIGArmenian; "small lamb"
                    xxxxRANThe great King of Armenia
                    DIRANArmenian; "one who rules"
                    GARABEDArmenian; "Caravan Leader, pioneer"
                    KEVORKArmenian version of George
                    GHOUGASArmenian; version of Luke
                    GOMIDASArmenian; a famous musician and Clergyman
                    HAGOPArmenian ; version of Jack or Jacob
                    HAIGLegendary Armenian Patriarch and hero
                    JIRAIRArmenian; strong and active working man
                    KHACHIGArmenian; "small cross"
                    KHAJAGArmenian; "one who has blue eyes; also beautiful flower"
                    KRIKORArmenian form of Gregory. Krikor was the first Christian leader
                    LEVONArmenian version of Leon; "Lion-like"
                    MANOOGArmenian; "small child, infant"
                    NISHANArmenian; "Cross, mark, sign"
                    PAPKEN"A Catholicos of Armenian Church"
                    RAZMIG Armenian. "A soldier; one who fights a battle"
                    SARKISArmenian version of Sergius, (to serve)
                    VAHANArmenian; "Shield"
                    YERVANTAn Armenian King
                    ZAVENArmenian version of Savinus, or Savin
                    What about people's whose last name end with -iants?? what exactly does that mean, and where does it come from?

Comment

inna its all over the history books... people with "uni" or "iants"... there used to be more of them, but turks killed most of them... they were the upper class or of some sort of royal level...

anonymouse NO! i said AZIZ! in armenian... although i know you wish i did say asses...

Comment

Working...
                      X