Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Why Honesty Is Not A Commodity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Honesty Is Not A Commodity

Recently I've discovered that my family is among the most honest ones out of my extended kinships. Of course, not to sound holier than thou or from a moral high ground, this is based on my subjective experiences with my immediate associations and surroundings with my extended family. I was always under the impression that the family is "holy" and since we are linked by blood we will not harm each other. We are "from the same blood, from the same kind". We "expect harm from strangers, but not from loved ones". Of course this is about as comforting a bullshyt as a pacifier is to someone suffering from a bullet wound to the ass. Harm comes from all directions. I am at the point where I cannot internalize this. It is all too much, too fast, for too long and at the wrong time. And if I do not express this here as calisthenic endeavor into catharsis, I might end up beating up a cat or something ( since I hate cats ).

I was always taught to be an open person. I saw and learned from my parents that I shouldn't be a tight wad. When out with friends it is always a gesture of good will to offer to pay. Such a notion is not "Armo" when you see your Armenian dads fighting over who should pay the bill. It is a universal act of openness, not confined to a certain culture. Indeed, generosity, kindness, honesty are not social conventions confined to a certain family or people, but are universal markers of what humans aim to attain throughout time. It is the universal yard stick which we strive to, compare to, and measure our actions by ( at least those that think to ). Woe to the man who does not offer honesty, kindness, generosity, and openness of the heart and who sits idly in the confines of his greed and his self and his wants. Such is taught by all religions and philosophies. I learned that when someone kindly asks for some help, it is nice to offer something to help, no matter how much you offer, whether money or not, it is still something and translates as an act of kindness to that person. It was a sign of generosity and openness of the heart.

Families are but social relationships linked by blood but not by choice. We seek friends but not family. We choose friends but we don't choose family. Friends more often than not reflect us as persons, families often times do not. Famly is handed down to us either because God wants to test us, or tease us, depending on how you view it. If your uncle, or aunt or cousin was slothful, vain, and greedy, you did not choose to associate with him, you were given this life, and with it, its attachments. Of course some have ignoble parents, but others as in my case have dishonest extensions. Most of us do not complain about the flaws of our families, but simply learn to deal with them, and accept them, or forget them and live life. Indeed, when is it too much? My parents being victims of deception and dishonesty, from all corners of the family, is intolerable. I try to blame my parents for being open, for being kind, for being generous. But I have found that this blame is unjust. Their reply is "What would you have done? Would you have done exactly what we have? Have we raised you like that?" My emphatic reply was a "No". Honesty presupposes dishonesty. Thus those who are honest, will be evident to the deceiver, although the honest ones will often faithfully put trust in their fellow man, be it family or friend. And from then I understand that I could not blame them. Indeed, if no one were honest, there would be no case for faith or hope, and human civilization would have ended eons ago. To be honest and generous is to expose oneself. I ignorantly believed that to avoid deception, and dishonesty, my folks should not have been as open hearted and inviting in the first place. Fear of the exposure to dishonesty and an unwillingness to be honest and generous only makes one as worse as the deceiving serpents that one is trying to avoid. And before you know it, you are transformed into that which you despised.

My family has never been rich, except in spirit, but it has never been poor. My folks have never been greedy or hesitated to spend on friends, family or even their children. Despite the idea of saving money to "get ahead" for personal satisfactions, in my family, money has been used to the goodness of friends and family, and even us as their children, and rarely when my folks took that minor occasion to indulge, as eastern Armenians say "ktnerits ekav". My folks have always loaned money, to friends, family, that often went unpaid for months. They did not complain. They patiently waited and went about their merry ways. Of course when goodness is given it is hoped that one would understand that what we are offering is not money in and of itself, but our kindness and generosity that is offered through that money. We are not obligated to pay anyone. Why do we do it then? We do so as a means of kindness because we want to. It is not money we are offering, it is our heart and kindness. One would logically expect that this kindness be reciprocated in the form of honesty, not money. But that is not so. When someone needs money, is it bad to ask for some help? Does asking for some help tarnish ones ego and delusions of grandeur? If one really is in need of money, one should ask. My folks have never closed the door on someones face. Does one really need to engage in chicanery and deception in order to rip money off of family, the same family that helped you in the most dire times when none of the pretenders would? Are people this stupid? Are humans this hollow? Do they actually think we are only offering a material means of exchange, and not extending our character and honesty with it? If the only thing we are offering is material commodity, and not our spirits, and if by this interpretation it should come to mean that man is a mindless, soulless material creature, then do they honestly think we are foolish enough to "give out free money"? Methinks tis a lie.

"Money is the root of all evil" is about as wise as the advice you get from a thief, which is not much. Money is as good as its creators and users. Money is a reflection of us as humans, because it is created by us. It is a subjective value placed on a commodity as a means of exchange, but not on a moral, since you cannot place subjective values on morals. This little idea of "money" determines the happiness and well being of us. It represents something. But it is not something in and of itself. It is responsible for us feeling pleasure, and also pain and springs from our consciousness, since it is there where pain and pleasure are hardwired. If we were automatons, impervious to the sensitivies of pleasure and pain, we would not need money. Whether we lived in the streets or in a house it wouldn't matter then. Money represents the power to get pleasure for ourselves. The absence of money means pain and hardship. For those people that this becomes an end in itself, it only becomes a pleasure in itself, the pleasure found in having the power to get pleasure, often times at the expense of your friends and family. As Arthur Schopenhaur stated, "Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money." Greed deadens the nerves of sympathy of people and makes them deaf to the demands of honesty, and generosity. The universal pursuit of greed dethrones honor. Selfishess rules as the business of life. There is nothing wrong with wealth. When wealth is earned honestly it is just. When it is earned by pillaging the bonds of family, friends and love, it is unjust. I only hope that we should be wise enough and vigilant enough, to heed the deceivers ahead of time, before becoming deceived.
    Last edited by Anonymouse; 11-06-2004, 04:34 PM.
    Achkerov kute.

Six viewers and no one commented on this? Just to say anything good at all? Come now. Well, I'll be the first.

I can somewhat relate to what you're saying about your parents being very generous. I just want to mention something at random, which has to do with this topic.

From my personal experience, I noticed that when you do something generous for family members, they do not take advantage of your constant generosity. In fact, they try to stop you. This is very different with friends, close friends too. Family members just seem to realize your kindness more because they know you for a very long time, unlike friends who think that this is the way (being generious all the time) you are.

I'd type more but I have places to go, people to see. ( I think that's how it's said.)
    I see...

Comment

You know as I have gown older I have realized how much my family means to me.

Though, I hate seeing my family struggle. And I know no matter what I do I cannot get ride of what my father and mother have given me. Meaning as some people say I am "to nice, or a goodtwoshoes, or I'm sheltered." But you know what I have realized I have something many people dont have. My parents are still alive from all the things they have gone through. There is nothing more I can ask for. I have been given this life, because I know God knows I can get through it. Like Anony said "My family has never been rich, except in spirit." I dont care what anyone says, I rather have that then millions of dollars. They are everything to me.

But to actually talk about the tread. I see that in my parents. I see how they do something out of the goodness of their heart, but eventually get slapped in the face. I have realized yes, if you do have money then people respect you and people notice you. And you can do whatever to prove your love and your kindness but some people will never really see you and your humanity.

No there isnt anything wrong with wealth. I do not care of the guy next to me has more money then I. I dont care if someone drives a better car then me. More props to them. They worked their asses off to get somewhere, I am no one to put them down or even feel an ounce of jealousy. But what hurts me the most is my family and I are not taken seriously because I dont have what they have

God I dont even know if this has anything to do with the thread. But it made me feel better writting about it. I'm such a girl sometimes.
      You can't hold a man down without staying down with him.

Comment

You right anonymouse, but money DOES change people.. its extremely sad.
        How do you hurt a masochist?
        -By leaving him alone.Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by XxgoeyxX
          You know as I have gown older I have realized how much my family means to me.

Though, I hate seeing my family struggle. And I know no matter what I do I cannot get ride of what my father and mother have given me. Meaning as some people say I am "to nice, or a goodtwoshoes, or I'm sheltered." But you know what I have realized I have something many people dont have. My parents are still alive from all the things they have gone through. There is nothing more I can ask for. I have been given this life, because I know God knows I can get through it. Like Anony said "My family has never been rich, except in spirit." I dont care what anyone says, I rather have that then millions of dollars. They are everything to me.

But to actually talk about the tread. I see that in my parents. I see how they do something out of the goodness of their heart, but eventually get slapped in the face. I have realized yes, if you do have money then people respect you and people notice you. And you can do whatever to prove your love and your kindness but some people will never really see you and your humanity.

No there isnt anything wrong with wealth. I do not care of the guy next to me has more money then I. I dont care if someone drives a better car then me. More props to them. They worked their asses off to get somewhere, I am no one to put them down or even feel an ounce of jealousy. But what hurts me the most is my family and I are not taken seriously because I dont have what they have

God I dont even know if this has anything to do with the thread. But it made me feel better writting about it. I'm such a girl sometimes.
          Yes, money does warp people in ways unimaginable. Of course, some of these people are the ones I least expected to stick a knife behind your back. When they pretend to do you a "generous offer" as they say, but in reality have ulterior motives underneath, that really ticks me off. The only solution is to pull back your association with such peope.

However, wealth earned honestly is just. And I hope that those who attain wealth through honest means, do not forget where they came from and guiding principles that remain eternal to human relations. Honesty is rarely respected among the dishonest. And indeed one does get slapped in the face. There are those that argue that in a world of unethical manners and toil, one should engage in the same tactics in order to "get ahead". This "get ahead" part is basically saying the ends justify the means, and whatever the methods, it's important to "get ahead", simply for the sake of "getting ahead", whatever that means.
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

I think that most people tend to ‘live by the day’, and if it is convenient for them to be close with you today, than they will be. And if tomorrow their relationship with you hinders some sort of benefit they may receive if other wise/from another, then they do not think twice. They forget about everything, and lean the other way, just when it is in some way beneficial to them to do so. Everything is quickly forgotten.

Amazing.

Comment

In the end,we reap what we have sown.In Armenian it sounds :*lavutyun ara gecir jure*.If you do things with expectation to be appreciated ,better don't do it at all.Be honest and genuine for your own inner satisfaction and happiness.
              I'm a monstrous mass of vile, foul & corrupted matter.

Comment

Originally posted by sleuth
                In the end,we reap what we have sown.In Armenian it sounds :*lavutyun ara gecir jure*.If you do things with expectation to be appreciated ,better don't do it at all.Be honest and genuine for your own inner satisfaction and happiness.
                What are you trying to say, that we do things with expectations of "being appreciated"? I think you missed the point. We don't expect anything. I certainly don't, nor do my parents. When something does happen, one at least expects the same level of respect one gives. What we do not expect is to have family backstab you. Therein lies the difference.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
                  What are you trying to say, that we do things with expectations of "being appreciated"? I think you missed the point. We don't expect anything. I certainly don't, nor do my parents. When something does happen, one at least expects the same level of respect one gives. What we do not expect is to have family backstab you. Therein lies the difference.
                  I didn't mean your family in particular.But seems to me you are really disappointed for some reason (I am guessing backstabing from a family member). Am I right?Disappointment comes from expectetions, in general.As I said before we reap what we sown. And don't expect things even from family member.For certain type of humans, money is a source of a happiness.What Do you expect from them? If people are not honest, difficult issues can't be acknowledged and resolved.That's simple and plain. Don't be so lugubrious,be happy that your family doesn't belong to that category.Because in the end they going to sow what they reap.Does it make any sence?
                  As for me ,honesty is a core value and commodity,no matter how someone will take advantage of it.I'll stop to associate with a person who is deceitful.I am not going to diminish or compromise my moral values and principles because of someone(even if it's my own father).
                  My point: honesty is a core value and commodity,no matter what.Learn lesson and stay away from backstabers. If they are dishonest and deceitful it's their own problem .
                  Last edited by sleuth; 11-07-2004, 05:58 AM.
                  I'm a monstrous mass of vile, foul & corrupted matter.

Comment

Originally posted by sleuth
                    My point: honesty is a core value and commodity,no matter what.Learn lesson and stay away from backstabers. If they are dishonest and deceitful it's their own problem .
                    the problem is first of all in the person who does not tell the truth, in the person who thnks like "keeping up with the jone's" and in the Armenian society i have seen this to be worse and worse.. you are right.. STAY AWAY!!!...people sit there and drool over things they have seen someone else in their line of relatives have// and then as soon as they can somehow buy it (not even afford) they do so.. The problem i see from the core to be pride.. which leads into jealousy and then people wantonly destroy eachothers friendships, relationships.. etc.. I ahve as well seen this close to my family.. just because we can buy a certain thing, relatives ofcourse get jealous and "gossip" their stupid little ears off and more bullxxxx than i eve want to get into anymore.. But i have learned well how to deal with it.. if this were to happend ever in my family (when im marreid with a family) i will never let it escelate, if i cant help it.. then God be with all those who are stupid, and i will move away and not contact such people.. i dont need an extra source of moronic people to mes up the mere 75 or so years i have to live on this planet...
                    How do you hurt a masochist?
                    -By leaving him alone.Forever.

Comment

Working...
                    X