Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Underage Drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underage Drinking

I recently was at one of my friends dorms where we all just hung around talking and drinking. I asked my friends whether their parents knew that they drank alcohol (we're all under 21 mind you). I was shocked to hear that most of them said that their parents didnt know and that they wouldnt tell them. I'm sure that in reality their parents assume that their kids are drinking in college, but the fact that they had never told their parents really shocked me. I mean is drinking really such a taboo that kids cant honeslty tell their parents what they seldomly do (well at least my friends and I seldomly do this, cant say the same for other college students) on the weekends? I tell my parents, or at least my mom, everything. And the trust we have between us is more important than anything in the world. I think I would rather my kids tell me that they drink than have them lying to me about it or not bothering to mention it. I think this is more common among American parents, because drinking is not as big of a deal in our house as other things. As long as you know your limits and are able to control yourself when drinking why is it frowned upon among parents? I've met people at school who had never drank alcohol until coming to college. This really surprised me since I knew what alcohol tasted like since I was 8. Not that I drank it on a daily basis but my dad let me take a sip when I was very young and from the age of 13 I was able to drink on holiday occasions, although I never did because I never liked the taste of wine, and still dont.
    so what do you guys thing, have you noticed this among your friends or is this similar to you? Is drinking such a taboo that we have to hide it from our parents?

p.s. this post in no way implies that I want the age limit for drinking to drop, 21 is fine with me

Originally posted by Inna
    I recently was at one of my friends dorms where we all just hung around talking and drinking. I asked my friends whether their parents knew that they drank alcohol (we're all under 21 mind you). I was shocked to hear that most of them said that their parents didnt know and that they wouldnt tell them. I'm sure that in reality their parents assume that their kids are drinking in college, but the fact that they had never told their parents really shocked me. I mean is drinking really such a taboo that kids cant honeslty tell their parents what they seldomly do (well at least my friends and I seldomly do this, cant say the same for other college students) on the weekends? I tell my parents, or at least my mom, everything. And the trust we have between us is more important than anything in the world. I think I would rather my kids tell me that they drink than have them lying to me about it or not bothering to mention it. I think this is more common among American parents, because drinking is not as big of a deal in our house as other things. As long as you know your limits and are able to control yourself when drinking why is it frowned upon among parents? I've met people at school who had never drank alcohol until coming to college. This really surprised me since I knew what alcohol tasted like since I was 8. Not that I drank it on a daily basis but my dad let me take a sip when I was very young and from the age of 13 I was able to drink on holiday occasions, although I never did because I never liked the taste of wine, and still dont.
    so what do you guys thing, have you noticed this among your friends or is this similar to you? Is drinking such a taboo that we have to hide it from our parents?

p.s. this post in no way implies that I want the age limit for drinking to drop, 21 is fine with me
    Kids in my school don't necessarily hide the fact that they drink from their parents. However, they lie about how much they drink.

Comment

Originally posted by thedebutante
      Kids in my school don't necessarily hide the fact that they drink from their parents. However, they lie about how much they drink.
      thats another thing, why lie about it? are their parents going to be disappointed in them or love them less because of the amount of acohol they consume?

Comment

I have always hated drinking. I always thought it was nasty and still think its nasty. Like you Inna my dad would let me take a sip during special occasions. And my friends dont drink either. If we do its like margarites. Strawberry of course. I dont know why its such a taboo or if it is one to tell your parents that you drink. Unless your a crazy alcoholic. But its so normal for college students to drink and not tell their parents. Most of them dont even live at home, so why tell them at all?
        You can't hold a man down without staying down with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Inna
          thats another thing, why lie about it? are their parents going to be disappointed in them or love them less because of the amount of acohol they consume?
          No. Their parents are going to be worried.

Comment

My sister's in college now, and just about everyone down there drinks like a fish. Most of their parents know, but many know only that they drink, and not how much as debutante said. Why? Is that not obvious? Too many college kids put 10 times more effort into their drinking and "being cool" then into their school work. Their excuse of "but mooooom, college is hard" for their bad grades would flush down the toilet much like everything they drink.

I never understood drinking either. You....consume something that tastes like sh*t so you can act like a retard? Someone tell me where the good part comes in. Don't feed me the "you have to know your limitations" garbage. Most people behave like idiots even with just the "light buzz" that the "good" drinkers stop at. If you're not even interested in at least achieving a buzz, then you're not drinking alcohol for the effects of it. So that leaves us with drinking for the taste of it, but that's just ridiculous seeing as to how any alcoholic beverage tastes like vomit. And don't give me this "depends on the drink" crap. Any beverage tastes 100 times better without the alcohol then it does with it. There is no reason for alcohol consumption other than either a deep dependancy/psychological issues, or because it's deemed as "cool" by society/your peers.

The sh*t people do to fit in. It's astounding.

Comment

speaking of dirnking. http://www.coorslight.com/beergame/

Comment

Originally posted by Harut82
                Speaking of beer games,
                Any beer pongers (beiruters) in the house?

Comment

I often found the "I'm so cool cause I drink" attitude rather idiotic. So many kids seem to want to start drinking and I just can't understand what's so special about it.

My parents never forbid me to drink or smoke or any of that when I was growing up and I have ended up not smoking or drinking and I never even felt the need to do it. So go figure! I mean don't get me wrong, I may have a beer now and then when hanging with buddies or at a restaurant or a glass of wine with xhorovats but that's about it.

It almost seems like kids now a days grow up watching girls gone wild and stupid collage movies and they figure that's how they're supposed to behave. No one tells them that there are actually people that go through college and ... guess what ... surprise... they actually STUDY their ass off!!!!
                  this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Glow
                    My sister's in college now, and just about everyone down there drinks like a fish. Most of their parents know, but many know only that they drink, and not how much as debutante said. Why? Is that not obvious? Too many college kids put 10 times more effort into their drinking and "being cool" then into their school work. Their excuse of "but mooooom, college is hard" for their bad grades would flush down the toilet much like everything they drink.

I never understood drinking either. You....consume something that tastes like sh*t so you can act like a retard? Someone tell me where the good part comes in. Don't feed me the "you have to know your limitations" garbage. Most people behave like idiots even with just the "light buzz" that the "good" drinkers stop at. If you're not even interested in at least achieving a buzz, then you're not drinking alcohol for the effects of it. So that leaves us with drinking for the taste of it, but that's just ridiculous seeing as to how any alcoholic beverage tastes like vomit. And don't give me this "depends on the drink" crap. Any beverage tastes 100 times better without the alcohol then it does with it. There is no reason for alcohol consumption other than either a deep dependancy/psychological issues, or because it's deemed as "cool" by society/your peers.

The sh*t people do to fit in. It's astounding.
                    Unfortunately, not all of us can be as unique and special like yourself. For example, my imagination and uniqueness is not heightened enough to be in tune with your level, thus my mediocre existence relies on an occasional drink at social gatherings to sort of lapse into the mirth of intoxication. As with anything else, moderation is the key. But some people need that escapism, thus we have alcoholics who abuse it, like any other thing. As George Bernard Shaw stated, "Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life".

As far as drinks go, yes, depending on the drink, the taste of the drink will vary. Only someone who doesn't drink obviously, someone such as yourself, wouldn't know.

As far as age limits on drinking. I am against them. Get rid of stupid age limit laws.
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Working...
                    X