Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Inconsistency of US Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loseyourname you are absolutly right, this actually did bother me... and i was expecting some womans movement people to intervien...

the reason why they did try him for 2 was because they wanted to put that into the law... so if someone in the future was to be tried for abortion that way a judge can take the petterson case and "interpret" it and say GUILTY!

i am pro-choice and i think the man was guilty of killing his wife, but i dont remember who it was on this thread they pointed out that people are not allowed to have an abortion, as in DOCTORS will not give an abortion to a woman if she is past the 3 months... so after the 1st trimester the fetus is a fetus or an embryo and guess what, every animal who is born through this type of birth, looks exactly the same the first trimester... so after the second trimester starts the thing is more human like, but still cant survive... but i say if a woman wants to get an abortion AFTER the third trimester has started she should be shot... that is a child at that time, and it can survive, thanks to doctors, outside the woumb...
    SO if the fetus was in the second trimester this could be a the reason why he was tried for both, but if it wasnt, then it is a political tool to be used against womens reproductive rights...

but i guess i would like to know WHY IS abortion a TOPIC!!!???!!!??? in armenia, in any part of europe, in asia... PEOPLE HAVE MOVED ON!!! why are we tlaking about something they talked about 50 yrs ago... they have moved on, we MUST MOVE ON!!!

leave the xxxxing women alone... if men were the ones that got pregnant abortion would not even be under discussion because they would want their freedom, and they wouldnt want someone discussing their utirus...

Comment

Ok, here's the thing. Firstly you have the whole trimester thing which many already mentioned. The supreme court ruled that the clump of cells in a woman's womb before the third trimester is not legally a baby (human). Anything before that is considered life, but not a person. Then you have a few other things:

The woman always has the last say when it comes to abortions for the main reason that it is her body being affected. It is her life that will be most altered. A guy can just grab his balls and walk away. It's easy for him to say he wants to keep it or not, but the baby is not growing in him, it is growing in her. Therefore she is the one with the most emotional and physical (obviously) attachment to the baby. Now when the baby is born, the father can claim his paternal rights, etc, but that is another discussion. As long as the child is unborn, the mother has final say. That's why a man doesn't have the right to kill his unborn. He'd be violating the mother's body.

Actually, if a man beats his pregnant wife. She can use excessive force to defend herself. Like let's say he punches her in the stomach, she can shoot him. Even if it is not in the third term yet. As I already said, the supreme court ruled that the cells in the body are considered life (although not human - or a person). So she would be protecting her unborn child (who is potentially a person) from life threatening danger. Juries also tend to be very sympathetic in these cases of pregnant women who were victims of wifebeaters.

Comment

Okay, now address the fact that in a multiple homicide case, the fetus is considered a person.

Comment

csc you are absolutly correct... i think your take on this right on the money... i think a pregnant woman is a lot more vulnerable in dangerous situations, so thats why we would be more sympathetic toward her... its like a healthy man going and attacking a physically challanged person... can she run fast? no, can she even move fast? no... when my cousin was pregnant, when she ran it was pretty funny to watch, but i cant imagine anyone trying to do soemthing to her... I WOULD RIP THEIR HEAD OFF...

but i can also see why the court would want to consider it life... it is life, but you all hear this, we will see this case be used and interpreted against women getting abortions... and essentially this country will be moving backwards when it comes to science, and medical advancement...

Comment

Abortion is an advancement of medical science? Other than sterilizing the calipers, what's the major advance in the last hundred years?

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname
              Abortion is an advancement of medical science? Other than sterilizing the calipers, what's the major advance in the last hundred years?
              Haha, now you see how extremely myopic she is just for the sake of advancing her argument.
              Achkerov kute.

Comment

I’m not sure if I understand this right…. You are comparing a woman’s choice to have abortion because she knows she’s not capable of having a child, she was raped, or other reasons to a man who physically abuses a woman hurting both her and the fetus causing the fetus to die? Or even worse, in Peterson’s case causing both the mother (living/breathing human) and the fetus to die? What it comes down to is the "action" taken to kill the fetus, and if inhumane, ought to be punished. I don’t want to comment on this any further, cause these are waaay too different to be compared together.

Comment

Originally posted by CatWoman
                  I?m not sure if I understand this right?. You are comparing a woman?s choice to have abortion because she knows she?s not capable of having a child, she was raped, or other reasons to a man who physically abuses a woman hurting both her and the fetus causing the fetus to die? Or even worse, in Peterson?s case causing both the mother (living/breathing human) and the fetus to die? What it comes down to is the "action" taken to kill the fetus, and if inhumane, ought to be punished. I don?t want to comment on this any further, cause these are waaay too different to be compared together.
                  I'm commenting on a human fetus being granted rights in one case, and then having those rights taken away in another case. It doesn't come down to action, because legal foundationalism should not be a matter of pragmatism.

Comment

I still think the “action” taken is what matters and not just in human fetus case, in many other cases as well. For example, you can humanely euthanize an aggressive dog and that’s absolutely fine; however, beating and abusing the same aggressive dog till it dies is a crime and gets both jail time and penalty. And in your case, when husbands/men cause the fetus to die, they do so by physically hurting the mother.

Comment

i think that there is a major inconsistency of the law being APPLIED, and i agree that it is being used as a political tool... however this time, if a jury is the judge, and we'll take what catwoman said, that there is a difference between beating a woman who is pregnant to death and simply a woman getting an abortion, the jury is a lot more simpathetic to the beaten woman... so if a jury is to be the deciding one, and they see a man who has brutely killed his wife and had no mercy with her, even though she was pregnant, they dont see a problem with convicting him...

so a law might be emotionless, but human beings are not... the law might say dont steal, but if a man steals bread for his starving family, people dont convict them and send them to prision, WELL unless you live in california and its your 3rd strike and then you get locked up and put away for stealing something that costs $2.

and as far as the stem cell research thing goes, jilbagh may have not been talking about someone in specific here on this forum, but in general, "pro-lifers" are against stem cell research... but then again "pro-lifers" are general for the death penalty as well... which is another contradiction... LOL!

i am pro-choice and for the death penalty ONLY ONLY ONLY when the person has actually committed the crime and has done it in a away that is horrenbous! and we have more then enough proof...

Comment

Working...
                      X