Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Terri Schiavo (the brain dead woman)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CatWoman
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]I think it's better to know a bit more about the case before giving opinions that make us "sound" open-minded, when in reality we're clueless about what we just said and why we said it and what is the controversy over...
    I am not clueless about anything that I have said so far. In fact, I recommend you to re-read what I and others have told you in this thread, without frustration, it may really make sense to you this time.

Plus, if a person's brain is dead, it is equivalent to being dead. Whatever the reasons may be why this woman reached this state, it certainly
    1. is not a worldwide issue,
    2. is not reversible,
    3. should be dealt with by people who are directly involved, not me or you.

Comment

Well apes DO HAVE personalities you know!! So does my dog...
      OK my whole point is that the topics on news will be getting more ridiculous (hence people's "feelings" will be getting more refined and subtle ) as the real worldwide issues will be getting sharper and more controversial.

Personally I never had feelings for dead people. And I'm suppressing the feelings for dying and suffering people, because I can't be hypocritical or blind enough to have feelings for some and not have for some others, based on the quantity of news coverage time dedicated to them.
      Last edited by rabinovich; 03-22-2005, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rabinovich
        I am not clueless about anything that I have said so far. In fact, I recommend you to re-read what I and others have told you in this thread, without frustration, it may really make sense to you this time.

Plus, if a person's brain is dead, it is equivalent to being dead. Whatever the reasons may be why this woman reached this state, it certainly
        1. is not a worldwide issue,
        2. is not reversible,
        3. should be dealt with by people who are directly involved, not me or you.

I just re-read the posts, all people are sayin is the woman is practically dead, her brain is dead, pull the tube... But no one's saying was the brain always dead or did they let it die? Why all of a sudden now that the last rehab check is paid the husband decides to kill her? ahhh that's where it gets interesting... (at least for me )

About your points:
        1- No it's not
        2- She never had therapy so we'll never know
        3- Yes, but since the congress is involved we might as well , also we're just foruming right? (on a rainy Tuesday afternoon) hahaha

Comment

Or a snowy Tuesday afternoon...

The Vadican has gotten involved, as well as the National Humanitarians, and the bioethicist that testified against Dr. Kevorkian. This gets sadder and sadder...poor woman

Btw, people ARE apes! We are just the lucky (or unlucky lol) ones

Comment

I Why all of a sudden now that the last rehab check is paid the husband decides to kill her? ahhh that's where it gets interesting... (at least for me )
            He's been trying hasn't he?
            [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
            -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

I just re-read the posts, all people are sayin is the woman is practically dead, her brain is dead, pull the tube... But no one's saying was the brain always dead or did they let it die? Why all of a sudden now that the last rehab check is paid the husband decides to kill her? ahhh that's where it gets interesting... (at least for me )
              That's a whole different issue. I am not competent enough to comment on that, but I do sense some man-hatred inspired biased thoughts flying around

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie
                He's been trying hasn't he?
                Not until he received the last rehab penny. He never before mentioned "Terri's will do die in such situations", sure he wanted her dead from the beginning, but never made an effort to get her killed.
                But he sure tried to help her with the therapy, the man deserves a medallion for husband of the year!

Comment

Not until he received the last rehab penny. He never before mentioned "Terri's will do die in such situations", sure he wanted her dead from the beginning, but never made an effort to get her killed.
                  But he sure tried to help her with the therapy, the man deserves a medallion for husband of the year!
                  You are SO misinformed it's not even funny. He has spent EVERY SINGLE PENNY he got from the malpractice settlement on lawyers. He was offered 10 MILLION DOLLARS from different groups who came together to try to buy off from him the final decision as to what would happen to Terry. They told him back off and give the decision to her parents and we'll give you 10 million dollars, he refused it. If he was in it for the money he would have taken that and run, instead he has spent the last 8 years of the 15 years she has been in this condition trying to let her go, to no avail. She is not coming back, no amount of therapy will grow back a persons cerebral cortex, no amount of praying will make her dead brain cells come to life again.

Her husband is not the only one who testified in those TWENTY DIFFERENT COURT CASES that her wish was not be given such life saving measures. There were others friend of HERS that said they knew she wouldn't have wanted to go on this long. As for the dumbasses who claim that he was choking her or abusing her and that's why this happened, the fact of the matter is that it was a chemical imbalance that stopped her heart. She was anorexic and the potassium levels in her body were so diminished that she had heart failure that led to oxygen being cut off from her brain and as a result her brain cells died. She suffered a hypoxic brain injury as a result of extended time with no pulse/breathing. When brain cells in your cerebral cortex DIE there is NO WAY they are coming back. The portions of her brain that control emotions, memory and language have been replaced with a fluid-filled sac. All the cells are dead. No amount of therapy or prayer will bring them back.

I think it is an awful way to die, to dehydrate to death, but at the moment you can bet she is put on enough medication that even if she knew what the hell was going on (which she DOESN'T) she will not feel a thing. I think that 15 years is far too long to punish a body like this and she should go where she was supposed to 15 years ago.

And if anyone hates the husband for moving on as he did with his girlfriend and kids, try to put it in perspective--- she was 25 when this happened, he waited 8 YEARS before making the decision to end it. She is now 40. He has been by her side and hasn't abandoned her at all. If he just wanted to be done with her he would have taken the initial malpractice settlement money and left her and her future to her parents, but he didn't. He stayed by her to see her will that he knew of carried out. I really wish there was some way she could be put to sleep rather than die because her body shuts down from lack of water and then food, but the end result is that she will finally move on to whatever is next (if there is a next) then all I can say is may she FINALLY rest in peace.
                  Last edited by ckBejug; 03-23-2005, 09:01 AM.
                  The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Oh come on you guys... you think everything is a cover up? Everything has to do with the war in Iraq? lol WHY? Siggie you think people will forget about the 9 BILLION missing because of Terri's case? Of course not. Have you gotten deep enough into this case to know what really happened? I don't think any of you have. It shouldn't matter what we want, what matters is what Terri's parents want and apparently they think not enough effort has been made in their daughter's recovery process and they can't watch her die knowing there was more they could have done for her but didn't, because of her husband!

Here are my main concerns:

1-What exactly caused her to collapse some years ago causing her brain injury? No one knows for sure, the husband might have as well beat the hell out of her, she can’t talk and no investigation was allowed so we’ll never know. An abusive man can beat his wife to a vegetative state, use his legal pass as next to kin to prevent the evidence from recovery, make money on insurances and doctors and after the checks are cleared suddenly remember that his wife expressed a wish to die in a similar situation.

2- Her husband prevented Terri from getting proper rehab, while he spent the rehab money he received on God knows what, probably the woman he lives with and the kids he has by her… WHY did he not let her receive the therapy doctors said she needed? And this man should be allowed to make the decision over her parents who gave her life? Something doesn't sound right here...

3- And lastly, by removing the tube, she’ll die from starvation… The most inhumane way to kill someone.

(ps I LOVE cats and I read somewhere that her husband killed Terri’s sick cat!!!!!! Soooo I don't like this man )

Maybe you guys should read what Carla Sauer, a nurse at Terri's hospital, said about all this:
                    This is such BS, by the way. You think if the husband was raving like a lunatic like this the police wouldn't have gotten involved? The problem is that people have this freaking noble cause syndrome and they think that the best cause of all is saving a human life, no matter how much unlike a 'life' that human happens to have. So, hmmm, let's see how we can make the public more sympathetic? Let's have some nurse say some BS about the husband and turn the public against this man who has done nothing wrong other than try to carry out his wife's will. And see how the gulliable people just eat it up. I am still rolling on the floor here laughing about REHAB for your brain. REHAB?!!? DOCTORS have the last word on situations likfe this. Even if it is the will of the husband or parents to let someone off life support, if there is any way a person can be rehabilitated then doctors will not allow life support to be pulled in favor of rehabilitiation. THERE IS NO WAY A DEAD BRAIN CAN BE REHABILITATED. You know the noises and movements she has made in all those videos? What you are seeing is reflex motion, not cognitive function. This is why the doctors have not stepped in to allow her to go on living. Don't you think 15 years has been enough torture for this poor woman?
                    Last edited by ckBejug; 03-23-2005, 09:16 AM.
                    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

This is why everyone needs to have a Living Will.

Comment

Working...
                      X