Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft

The Return Of The Draft,
    A Bipartisan Production
    By Jacob Levich
    duckdaotsu.com
    6-2-4

Barring a sudden reversal in the direction of US foreign policy, a strong bipartisan push to reinstate the draft can be expected soon after the November elections. Whether or not Bush wins is irrelevant. The logic of empire requires more boots on the ground, and conscription looks like the only way to get them.

In fact the campaign for the draft is already under way, though election-year politics have dictated a nuanced approach. Long-dormant draft boards have been quietly reactivated and restaffed -- even as the Bush administration continues to claim, in the face of mounting evidence to the contrary, that current troop levels are sufficient.

Meanwhile, a consensus behind conscription is building on Capitol Hill. Senators Chuck Hagel (R-Neb) and Joseph Biden (D-Del), chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, are among many prominent politicians suddenly calling for a "national debate" on the draft. Open supporters of the draft include Sen. Ernest Hollings (D-SC) and Reps. Nydia Velazsquez (D-NY), Pete Stark (D-Cal), and Charles Rangel (D-NY). HR 163 and S 89, Democrat-sponsored bills to restore conscription, are quietly working their way through committee. According to The Hill, Republicans are ready to sign on as soon as they get the nod from the Bush administration.

Because the draft is potentially a catalyst for student protest, many leftists are happy to believe that the Establishment would never dare to reintroduce it. But that view fails to take into account the tremendous post-Seattle expansion of the state's repressive apparatus. Now that protest pens, mass arrests, chemical crowd control, and embedded journalists have become the norm at major demonstrations, the powerful may well believe that they have little to fear from free speech.

In any case, pro-draft forces appear willing to assume any downside risks involved in reviving conscription. A quick survey of the state of the empire shows why.

At this writing the US military is deeply mired in Iraq, fighting a brutal war of counterinsurgency that has stretched the 1.4-million strong, all-volunteer military to the limit. The Army has 10 active-duty divisions; nine of these are either in Iraq or Afghanistan, have just returned, or are about to be deployed there.

Hundreds of enlistees are killed or wounded every month. Tours are being extended and enlistments prolonged. Troops are even being transferred to Iraq from strategically critical US bases in South Korea. The 138,000 US soldiers officially stationed in Iraq have been quietly supplemented with at least 10,000 private military contractors; i.e., mercenaries. Even so, as recent events in Falluja and Najaf make clear, all these bodies are not nearly enough to sustain the occupation.

While conceding that the Iraq war has been a military and political disaster, the US power elite -- ranging from George Bush, to the New York Times editorial board, to Presidential candidate John Kerry -- agree that we must "stay the course" in Iraq. In plain language, that means crushing resistance to the occupation. To subdue a population that wants us to leave, and is increasingly willing to fight for independence, will require many more troops -- as many as 500,000, according to pre-war Pentagon estimates. Despite the machinations of Lakhdar Brahimi and Kofi Annan, Europe has so far shown little inclination to augment US troop strength with its own soldiers.

Moreover, our West Asian wars are only a part of the equation. Under cover of the "war on terror," the US has increased its military presence across the globe: at least 176,000 troops are now deployed in forward bases and "peacekeeping operations" overseas.

Official US policy calls for waging "pre-emptive war" and effecting "regime change" wherever threats to American power and security are perceived. Any new war -- with or without an escalation of the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan -- would require many thousands of new soldiers. No President will long tolerate an inability to wage war as and where he sees fit.

The math isn't hard to do. The empire needs bigger battalions. Enlistment is barely sufficient to maintain current troop levels. Only draftees can fill the gap.

Would President Kerry make any difference? There's no reason to think so. Kerry has scrupulously avoided taking a position on the draft, but his approach to foreign policy is virtually indistinguishable from that of George Bush. A member of the hawkish Democratic Leadership Council (DLC), he supports escalating the war in Iraq and further enhancing US military presence worldwide. A Kerry administration would therefore be subject to the same imperial logic that guides Bush -- and, on a purely pragmatic level, the former war hero and Vietnam protester would be a far more credible advocate for conscription.

Kerry calls military service "the highest form of national service." Not coincidentally, a proposal for universal "National Service" is available on his campaign web site. The proposal closely resembles a recent DLC policy blueprint (Magee, From Selective Service to National Service: A Blueprint for Citizenship and Security in the 21st Century, 1993) that antidraft advocates see as a stealth plan for staged reintroduction of conscription.

Kerry's plan does not mention a military draft -- yet -- but incenting youth to join the armed forces is manifestly at its heart. The proposal would require draft registration for women and appears to makes financial aid for college contingent on two years' national service beginning at the age of 18. Even without a draft as such, Kerry's program represents a massive militarization of young people that provides ample opportunities for "patriotic" indoctrination, along with near-coercive incentives to join up.

The draft can still be stopped, but only if we act to prevent it. Although most Americans oppose the draft, public opinion alone is rarely enough to stop measures demanded by a consensus of the powerful. Historically, when US elites see a need to pass unpopular legislation (tax increases, benefit cuts, etc.) bipartisan action is taken early in the term and swiftly, before the people have a chance to register their displeasure.

That means we need to start organizing, educating, and speaking out -- right now. It is time to launch a preemptive strike of our own.

1. http://www.nodraft.info/

- Jacob Levich is a founding member of People Against the Draft(1). He can be reached at: [email protected]
    Achkerov kute.

Its useless to fight back it will happen. it has to ... the Bible says so haha... its scary to know how things are gonna be (more or less)... it really is this falls true with the quote which i also think is very true "anticipation of death is worse than death itslef"

R U READY?
    How do you hurt a masochist?
    -By leaving him alone.Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by gevo
      Its useless to fight back it will happen. it has to ... the Bible says so haha... its scary to know how things are gonna be (more or less)... it really is this falls true with the quote which i also think is very true "anticipation of death is worse than death itslef"

R U READY?
      You know, I am a Christian, I have read the Bible, yet the Bible has said many things that have not happened. In fact, many prophechies were not included in it. Furthermore, interpretation remains. Not to discount, but what in the Bible indicates that there will be a draft? I have always been of the persuasion of free will and Christianity fostered that spirit in Europe, not of determinism. William Bramley showed how easy it can be to make a prophecy.
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

I will go to jail before I go against my principles.

Comment

Even though I'm registered with Selective Services, they'll take you guys first. You guys are younger, plus my knee is messed up. So I get a medical discharge. Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
            You know, I am a Christian, I have read the Bible, yet the Bible has said many things that have not happened. In fact, many prophechies were not included in it. Furthermore, interpretation remains. Not to discount, but what in the Bible indicates that there will be a draft? I have always been of the persuasion of free will and Christianity fostered that spirit in Europe, not of determinism. William Bramley showed how easy it can be to make a prophecy.
            "2/3 of the jewish population will be wiped from the face of the earth, 1/3 will escape into the mountains of.. *i forget the name* and be saved from the hand of the largest army ever composed" who is going to kill 2/3 of the jewish population?? (remember at this time no nucs will be around ) and the rest of the world will suffer like casualties in trying to stand up for themselves, but will eventually give in.... Now, mouse, what prophecies that should have been executed have not thus far?? i would love to know cause i do not know of any **umm.. infact i know that there arent any )

Comment

here's my letter to congress....

Has this administration put this country in a hotter place than two squirrels getting it on in a wool sock in st. louis during summer?

A draft being proposed and developed for 2005 not only raises questions about our military being of volunteer brand, but takes away from the freedoms as citizen to reject war.

The public didn't and doesn't want occupation or a draft. The President and members of Congress represent the public, and they are not acting in the interest of the public.

How can you force a person to risk themselves in a war that they do not believe in?

How can you force a person to risk their lives in a mistake created by a mistake of a president?

Can't anyone with half a brain see the wrong in a draft?

Are we turning into a communist regime that can be compared to such countries that the US objects to?

Are we wearing the shoes of our own enemies?

Instead of GW Bush landing on a aircraft carrier declaring mission accomplished, how about he land on the soil of Iraq and run with the troops and see what war is like.

It's easy to talk and push things with no publicity because it will be unpopular in the public, but isn't your #1 duty to serve in the interest of the public? isn't it a duty of a member of congress or a member of this sham of an administration to represent the people of the US and do what would move this country forward?

If it is the objective to decrease the population of this country by instituting a draft, then the results will prove so.

Comment

Will it really happen?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/draft.asp

Comment

regardless if it happens now, or later.. it will happen!!!!! so might as well start training now.. lol.. i wouldnt mind actually.. i dont care either way... i would prefer not to have a draft as i can see all the superflous dramatic rioting that will come from it..

Comment

Originally posted by gevo
                    "2/3 of the jewish population will be wiped from the face of the earth, 1/3 will escape into the mountains of.. *i forget the name* and be saved from the hand of the largest army ever composed" who is going to kill 2/3 of the jewish population?? (remember at this time no nucs will be around ) and the rest of the world will suffer like casualties in trying to stand up for themselves, but will eventually give in.... Now, mouse, what prophecies that should have been executed have not thus far?? i would love to know cause i do not know of any **umm.. infact i know that there arent any )
                    I hardly consider that evidence of the draft.
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Working...
                    X