Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

I have a decision to make...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a decision to make...

I have a decision to make on Thursday...

I have applied for a dorm to live in for the next Fall and Winter semesters, which gives me one room (and a bathroom of course) to share with a roommate. We would share phone, tv, mini fridge...It is an upper classman dorm. Something I really dont like about this is the beds are like from the wall, to have room under, because the room is so small. Like the top of a bunk bed. I dont feel safe with it. This would cost about $8, 500.

My cousin has come across a really good deal for an apartment on campus through connections. She just called me tonight to let me know. (she would be living in a different house, she found this for me) I would live on the second floor of a house with two other girls (also upper classmen) sharing a living room, bathroom, kitchen, and balcony. We would have our own bedrooms. I'd be able to have my tv to myself, and whatever they are doing (tv, music, phone, sleeping, etc) wouldnt get in my way of doing whatever I wanna do. I'd be able to get it for like $6, 000 for the year.

A draw back to the apartment is that I wouldnt have a floor full of new people to meet, it wouldnt give me regular meals like the room & board at the dorm, and its like 5 minutes further away than the dorm in walking from classes.

I am driving over to look at it Thursday, and meet them. I'd sign the lease then. Those of you who have experience with university living...What do you think?? Which should I choose?
    Last edited by ArmoBarbi; 05-03-2005, 09:38 PM.

I'd hate to have people around me, but number two is definitely better. I would recommend commuting, but it looks like you're a rather social person.

Comment

My sister hated dorm rooms so much, she got a doctors note saying she was "allergic" to the dust (and there really was quite a bit of dust there) to get out of it after her Freshman year (first 2 years, dorm living is mandetory at her school, unless you have a medical reason for not being able to stay there). She went to a much nicer 3 bedroom apartment sophmore year, shared with people she knows. Then Junior/this past year, they moved into a townhouse, and next year, they've already got a big house with a huge yard picked out.

Comment

Cool

Tom, commuting isnt really an option at this point, not to mention I wanna live there anyway, its such a great place. Although it would be best in terms of money to live home of course, but its time to be grown up already anyway

Comment

Live in the apartment. Dorms suck, having a roommate sucks, and dining hall food sucks. It's much better to have your own space and make your own food. You'll meet plenty of people in classes, clubs, sports, and whatever else you do. Getting drunk with 19 year-olds isn't going to add a whole lot.

Comment

Clubs, sports, classes, PEOPLE?! It's high school all over again. Shudder.

Comment

I think you guys are right....Now Im worried that they will take someone before Thursday and Ill miss my chance haha

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname
                Live in the apartment. Dorms suck, having a roommate sucks, and dining hall food sucks. It's much better to have your own space and make your own food. You'll meet plenty of people in classes, clubs, sports, and whatever else you do. Getting drunk with 19 year-olds isn't going to add a whole lot.
                Yup.... pretty much what loseyourname said.

It's better to have your own space and your own privacy. With the amount of time you spend in classes or libraries or university games... you'll meet a good amount of people.

Comment

Apartment .
                  Achkerov kute.

Comment

k, i dont know why everyone has such a negative opinion of dorms. personally, i love living in a dorm. ya the food might not be too hot, but it's always nice to have people around all the time when you want them (just close your door if you don't). this is my second year living in a dorm and i'm having a blast. it really depends on the type of person you are. i really love the fact that i can just walk into the hall and find something to do by just walking into someone else's room. you meet awesome people and nothing beats those 4 a.m. converstions in the lounge.

also, about that bed situation. freshman year i had my bed lofted up too (so that it looked like a bunk bed minus the bed on the lower level). my desk was placed under the lofting and there was lots of room for a futon and other things. i think that it's pretty safe. unless you get drunk and you're missing the outer bar on the bunk, you dont have to worry about falling off. the only time i heard about someone falling was when my friend got really drunk and hadnt attached the outer bar. he basically woke up on the floor and wasn't hurt at all. haha.

Comment

Working...
                    X