Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

2004 in film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 in film

Here's my retrospective of the movies released in 2004. I still have a lot of catching up to do, but I've seen most of the biggies. From what I've seen, '04 is this century's worst year for film. Now, let me start with some honorable mentions...

16. Maria Full of Grace
    15. Mean Creek
    14. Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (I liked the first volume much more...)
    13. Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
    12. Spider-Man 2
    11. The Aviator

Now, here is my top ten...

10. Open Water
    9. Mean Girls (Go ahead and laugh, this one was my guilty pleasure)
    8. Closer
    7. Hotel Rwanda
    6. Hero (Christopher Doyle's cinematography is outstanding)
    5. Sideways (Armenians! My church is in it, bonus points for that)
    4. Friday Night Lights (Billy Bob Thornton, before Bad News Bears...)

3. The Incredibles

Not as good as Finding Nemo, but still very enjoyable. Michael Giacchino's score was also very well done.

2. Before Sunset

Jesse and Celine. They're perfect together and so is this movie. I would call it the best romance movie of the year if it were not for...

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

A favorite ever since I saw it last year, watching it three or four more times since has increased my love for it. This one is worth seeing before anything else; definitely Kaufman's best!

These films I like, but don't care very much for:

Dawn of the Dead
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    Ray
    Wicker Park

These films I don't like:
    Collateral
    Finding Neverland
    National Treasure

I hate these films:
    13 Going on 30
    Catwoman
    Christmas with the Kranks
    Eurotrip (Eurotrash)
    The Girl Next Door
    Jersey Girl
    Napoleon Dynamite (I'm one of those people who doesn't "get it")
    The Perfect Score
    Saved!
    Twisted

Comment

I would definitely have the Incredibles in the top 3.
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
        I would definitely have the Incredibles in the top 3.
        Yeah, I thought it was very good, but not as great as Finding Nemo.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo
          These films I like, but don't care very much for:

Dawn of the Dead
          Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
          Ray
          Wicker Park

These films I don't like:
          Collateral
          Finding Neverland
          National Treasure

I hate these films:
          13 Going on 30
          Catwoman
          Christmas with the Kranks
          Eurotrip (Eurotrash)
          The Girl Next Door
          Jersey Girl
          Napoleon Dynamite (I'm one of those people who doesn't "get it")
          The Perfect Score
          Saved!
          Twisted

I would definitely pick out the following films that I like in no particular order:

Dawn of the Dead
          Collateral
          Ray
          Napoleon Dynamite
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

I would also add the following classics, excluding some others that I forgot but I will add when I remember.

Sunset Blvd
            The Best Years of Our Lives
            On The Waterfront
            Chinatown
            City Lights
            I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang
            Achkerov kute.

Comment

I would definitely pick out the following films that I like in no particular order:

Dawn of the Dead
              Collateral
              Ray
              Napoleon Dynamite
              I just could not stand Napoleon Dynamite. Total waste of time.

Collateral was a disappointment for me. I had been anticipating it for a long time and it failed to deliver. Plus, Tom Cruise is evil now; jumping on sofas et. all. So points off for that! I did like the cinematography, though!

Comment

I would also add the following classics, excluding some others that I forgot but I will add when I remember.

Sunset Blvd
                The Best Years of Our Lives
                On The Waterfront
                Chinatown
                City Lights
                I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang
                Chinatown is one of my all time favorite movies and Roman Polanski is one of my favorite filmmakers.

Sunset Blvd. is also a favorite. Gloria Swanson gives one of the best performances of all time. I love the scenes with Cecil B. DeMille.

I saw On the Waterfront a long time ago and I remember not liking it very much. I just remember Karl Malden and Eva Marie Saint going crazy. Perhaps it's time for me to see it again...

And we really need a Movie Discussion forum on here.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo
                  Chinatown is one of my all time favorite movies and Roman Polanski is one of my favorite filmmakers.

Sunset Blvd. is also a favorite. Gloria Swanson gives one of the best performances of all time. I love the scenes with Cecil B. DeMille.

I saw On the Waterfront a long time ago and I remember not liking it very much. I just remember Karl Malden and Eva Marie Saint going crazy. Perhaps it's time for me to see it again...

And we really need a Movie Discussion forum on here.
                  I thought On The Waterfront was one of Brandos greatest roles, right next to A Streetcar Named Desire (also a favorite).

Sunset Blvd is also one of my favorites, and it is in the film noir category, which I really like. I loved how it captured the evolution of film, from the silent films to talking pictures, and how this transformation left the old generation behind. It was just a movie that we can definitely call "timeless".

I also recommend the Best Years of our Lives, which is set in post-WWII America and it is a really interesting movie, that really defines what 'comfort' in a movie is, of veterans who return home to their families in small town America and how the war has changed both them and their families. There are some beautiful scenes, and there is a certain innocence or purity to the film that is lacking in almost every film of our generation.
                  Achkerov kute.

Comment

Sunset Blvd is also one of my favorites, and it is in the film noir category, which I really like. I loved how it captured the evolution of film, from the silent films to talking pictures, and how this transformation left the old generation behind. It was just a movie that we can definitely call "timeless".
                    I also loved how Norma Desmond still thought she had a fan following and that directors were still after her. "I am big. It's the pictures that got small!" William Holden also gave a great performance. Of course, his character is an arse, but in film noirs, usually everbody is.

And my favorite part of Chinatown is... "She's my sister! *slap* She's my daughter! *slap* She's my sister! *slap*"

Comment

Working...
                    X