Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

What Are Your Life's Dreams and Goals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Are Your Life's Dreams and Goals?

Originally posted by Moldy Cheese
    I figured this out yesterday.

You should patent it.
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

I figured this out yesterday.

Just curious, how do you interpret it?
      What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Siamanto
        Just curious, how do you interpret it?
        I'm a bit buzzed as I write this, so bear with me.

Basically, our entire lives, we strive to reach some goal, whether it's getting a Ph.D., becoming an actor/actress, or marrying the man of one's dreams . We don't appreciate the present until it becomes the past. We don't realize that the present should be appreciated without any ties to the future *dramatic sob*. When we make this mistake, we live to regret it when the awareness sets in that our life has passed us by.

I hope I made sense.

Comment

Basically, our entire lives, we strive to reach some goal, whether it's getting a Ph.D., becoming an actor/actress, or marrying the man of one's dreams . We don't appreciate the present until it becomes the past. We don't realize that the present should be appreciated without any ties to the future *dramatic sob*. When we make this mistake, we live to regret it when the awareness sets in that our life has passed us by.

I hope I made sense.

First of all, I apologize for the late reply; lately, I can't seem to find the time to be active on the forum.

You made sense to me and, personally, I think that your interpretation of the text seem to be correct with the exception of "We don't appreciate the present until it becomes the past."
          In fact, the author continues as follows:
          "This perspective has helped me to see that there is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way. So, treasure every moment that you have. And treasure it more because you shared it with someone special, special enough to spend your time … and remember that time waits for no one…"
          (Integral Text)

I was curious because I tried to read and interpret the text within the context of the thread and, ironically, it sounded to me as the words of a person who actually lacks a goal. I will explain myself, but I understand that the author meant to talk about happiness and he may have expressed himself differently if his intent was "a life's goals and dreams."

The last sentence of the quotation - i.e. "At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life." - reminds of me Sisyphus and expresses - more obviously - than the rest of the quotation a "pessimistic" and "defeatist" view of life.
          I believe that a person who has a goal and a dream sees beyond the "stepping stones" that he calls "obstacles;" he sounds like a person who's too focused on the present while dreams, goals are projections in the future.
          What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

First of all, I apologize for the late reply; lately, I can't seem to find the time to be active on the forum.

You made sense to me and, personally, I think that your interpretation of the text seem to be correct with the exception of "We don't appreciate the present until it becomes the past."
            In fact, the author continues as follows:
            "This perspective has helped me to see that there is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way. So, treasure every moment that you have. And treasure it more because you shared it with someone special, special enough to spend your time … and remember that time waits for no one…"
            (Integral Text)
            The reason I stated that, "We don't appreciate the present until it becomes the past," is the following. The obstacles of life are regarded as negative, and most people do not enjoy them. However, when these experiences pass from the present to the past, they gain more appreciative value because of time lost. People always long for the things that are out of their reach, and what is more out of reach than the past?

I was curious because I tried to read and interpret the text within the context of the thread and, ironically, it sounded to me as the words of a person who actually lacks a goal. I will explain myself, but I understand that the author meant to talk about happiness and he may have expressed himself differently if his intent was "a life's goals and dreams."

The last sentence of the quotation - i.e. "At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life." - reminds of me Sisyphus and expresses - more obviously - than the rest of the quotation a "pessimistic" and "defeatist" view of life.
            I believe that a person who has a goal and a dream sees beyond the "stepping stones" that he calls "obstacles;" he sounds like a person who's too focused on the present while dreams, goals are projections in the future.
            Personally, I don't think the quote is meant to disagree with the theme of "a life's goals and dreams." What the quote IS saying, however, is that just because you are yearning for something in the future, does not mean that you should not enjoy the present. The "obstacles" should not be viewed negatively, but rather appreciated for their own sake and regarded as a lesson in life, if nothing else. If focus is retained, the obstacles will be overcome and the goal will materialize in due time. Enjoying the present should not compromise the future.

No one is guaranteed tomorrow, so why should all of your energy for life’s enjoyment be concentrated in the future? If you don't enjoy the present, you will live to regret it.

In the last few years, I (like Souza) have come to the realization that happiness is not the peak of the mountain, but is rather the journey to the top. Happiness is sporadic moments in time, not a continuous state that one can reach.

Comment

My goal is to purchase a small grape orchard...with a little cottage looking house, where I will make wine, and drink my way to an eternal slumber..

Oh yea, I also want to be one of the top 10 players in the WPT

Comment

^ Turn that frown upside down in your location!

Glendale is where it's at!

Comment

My goal is to be One-Ways manager when he makes it big so I can cash in.
                  Achkerov kute.

Comment

Everyone wants to be my manager.

Comment

• Re: What Are Your Life's Dreams and Goals?

I hope I made sense.
                      Trying to remember that it's the journey and not the destination can be difficult sometimes ... that's the idea though.

Comment

Working...
                      X