Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Stereotypes -- What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereotypes -- What would you do?

I can't remember what I was watching a few days ago when I saw a "coming up" commercial about Primetime I think it was...
    Anyway, they had a bunch of hidden camera situations set up. One was a follow-up to what they had done before with a couple fighting and the male getting a bit abusive to the female. They had used a white couple and wanted to see what would happen with a black couple. Nothing too interesting there.

Different scenario - A group of boys (3-4 of them) are bullying another kid at the park. They're throwing his stuff (water bottle, books, backpack) around and teasing him. They noticed that not many people did anything.

When they had the kids dress up in gang affiliated colors and clothing. Whether they actually did this successfully is debateable. They were wearing red and black mostly and I think one kid was wearing blue, but their pants were baggier and at least one kid had the hood on his sweatshirt up. People were more quick to get involved whereas they had thought they'd be less likely to because of perceived risk to themselves.

Finally, the topic of the poll and the most interesting one IMO.
    They had a camera and mic hidden in a cab and had the cab drivers make racist remarks and wanted to see what people would do. A few people made comments themselves. Most just avoided talking about it, but didn't disagree. A few said, I work with some [blank]s and they're good people or something to that effect.

My big problem with their "study" is that they're trying to generalize to how people respond to strangers who make racist comments, but they're not doing that. They have people in a CAB. If this person is saying somethign like "I'm sick of arabs... we should send everyone with brown skin back to where they came from" are you going to argue when they're in a position of control? What are your options if this person is insane and flips out if you disagree or call them on their crap? Are you gonna jump out of a moving car?
    So, I'm thinking that people are going to be way more likely to shut up and not say anything in this particular situation because they're vulnerable. It's not a good way to get at the general topic of what people do when a stranger starts talking like that.

Sorry, this got so long, but what do you think? Do you think that's probably why most people didn't say anything of was it somethign else?
    I would most likely speak up and tell them they are wrong.
    0.00%
    I would join in and agree with them.
    50.00%
    I would keep quiet and maybe try to change the subject.
    33.33%
    I would do something else (please post what that would be).
    16.67%
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Re: Stereotypes -- What would you do?

I voted I would keep quiet and maybe try to change the subject.

I was honest, and didn't lie about how I'd speak up. Honestly, I'm never the type to speak up and say something. I often hold it in. Whatever that might be. If somebody said something, I'd just think, "What a racist." - then say something to change the conversation up.

Also, this specific situation is racist. I think a lot of people are racists. They probably don't even know it. I'll be honest, I'm racist at times, too. It's just how it is, a lot of people are. But not to the point where I say something to hurt them, or do something about it. I won't use racial slurs, or if I was hiring for a position, I wouldn't single someone out because of their race.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way
      I voted I would keep quiet and maybe try to change the subject.

I was honest, and didn't lie about how I'd speak up. Honestly, I'm never the type to speak up and say something. I often hold it in. Whatever that might be. If somebody said something, I'd just think, "What a racist." - then say something to change the conversation up.

Also, this specific situation is racist. I think a lot of people are racists. They probably don't even know it. I'll be honest, I'm racist at times, too. It's just how it is, a lot of people are. But not to the point where I say something to hurt them, or do something about it. I won't use racial slurs, or if I was hiring for a position, I wouldn't single someone out because of their race.

I watched it and I also found the cab thing strange. I didn't think about the control angle, which is certainly true. To me more than anything though it would be ridiculous to engage in an ethical argument with a stranger, who on top of that is an ignorant redneck idiot. I like to chat with strangers but only if it's pleasant and fun.

Comment

I was LMAO at the 2 old joowish ladies
        this post = teh win.

Comment

I voted, I would join in and agree with them.

Furthermore, what's wrong with making racist comments?
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip
            LOl, yeah they were funny, ignorant as hell but funny. That's the first time I heard the joke about Asians, where they can't see right or left and are horrible drivers because of that. Funny coincidence was later that night when "Drawn Together" on Adult Swim had a hillarious episode about fixing the Asians' eyes so they can drive better.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
              I voted, I would join in and agree with them.

Furthermore, what's wrong with making racist comments?
              They're racist.

Comment

I voted for the fourth option. I'd do something else.

As much as this would bother someone like Siggie, I'd just say "Okay."

Comment

I joke around with racist comments with my friends, but that's all. It's just joking around and playing around.

Comment

... Phew. Man, y'all needta....

Anyway...

Originally posted by Sip
                    I found their (the xxxish ladies) comments a little "ironic." One would think... but yet, no. LOL

Reminds me of something Anonymouse said... but I differ from him in that I think either people experience horror and support the same, OR they might experience and FIGHT to try to prevent anyone from ever knowing that experience... I guess those taxi women fall into the first category.

For me, if I am confronted with racism (etc.)... my first step is to try to understand WHY this person thinks this way. Second, merge understanding and compassion into their view... from there...

Confrontation doesn't change minds. It might give the giver an ego boost, but does nothing for the 'listener' (other than reinforce their bigotry.)...

Fight hate with love, I think.
                    Last edited by Anahita; 03-27-2006, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X