Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Are you vegetarian and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are you vegetarian and why?

Originally posted by bell-the-cat
    Perhaps that somewhere was the same place where it also says "Don't trust anyone over 30"!
    Yes, it was the same place.

Originally posted by Karoaper
    It's delicious and healthy. But, while you'll have very low cholesterol, you'll also be less strong than a meat eater, if that's important to you. But hey, at least things like heart attacks and cancers will be less of a problem.
    That is all true, except being less strong than a meat eater. I'm pretty strong. Before a knee injury, for example, I leg pressed over 200 lbs. That's not too bad.

This is one of my favorite fact sheets (because it is interesting, concise and accurate):

How to Win an Argument with a Meat Eater
    Eat Plants VegSource covers and analyzes stories relevant to the plant-based community. Our Story VegSource was formed in 1996 by the Nelson family. The Nelsons have first hand experience in the healing potential of a plant-based diet. READ OUR STORY What
    Last edited by Anahita; 07-10-2006, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anahita

That is all true, except being less strong than a meat eater. I'm pretty strong. Before a knee injury, for example, I leg pressed over 200 lbs. That's not too bad.
      Pshh! That's nothing... I leg pressed around 350. RAWR!
      Maybe if you'd eaten meat.

That's a ridiculous site btw.
      It doesn't matter if it takes less space to produce potatoes than beef... who cares? They're not the same thing and they don't have the same nutritive value. Want to talk about efficiency yet ignoring what the most efficient source of protien is. And people are starving in the world so we should eat meat? C'mon now.
      Why argue anyway??
      It's a preference. You don't want to eat meat for whatever reason, don't.
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
        Vegetarians I can understand at least, but vegans? That is truly an abomination of modernity. Only in the plentiful industrial world of modernity where everything is at ones fingertips can people truly resort to such nonsense as veganism.

And if vegans find themselves stranded in the woods or a natural setting fighting for survival their stupid veganism will not help them.
        I couldn't agree more! I mean vegans don't even eat honey ... HONEY!! Give me a break with their Oh Holier than thou attitude. Bunch of Bobos ...

Now I personally consider myself a (about to Bobo the f out with this term ) FLEXITARIAN! I'll swing either way and I think most true lovers of food can enjoy dishes with and without meat. I'll eat all veggies some times and then I'll become a complete carnivore and eat a porterhouse. I like it all which, disturbingly, even most vegetarians can't get down with all the different veggies and fruits.

Case in point my now EX girlfriend (heheh!) is a vegetarian, but she HATES fruits ( ) and has a laundry list of the ways she likes and dislikes certain veggies prepared. Meal time used to be a complete pain in my arse! To sum it up though I find a good portion of self labeled vegetarians to be something quite different ... especially my ex although she's gotten better, she used to eat like 80% carbs which is HELLA unhealthy!

I finally ended up calling her a Carbotarian which she found less than cute. She would eat fishes cuz she didn't consider them sentient or whatever, so I guess she's a flexitarian as well.

One last thing I DO agree with vegetarians about, is how most carnivores put meat in EVERYTHING and imo it is completely over the top and ultimately gross. Do you really need bacon in the green beans everytime? Or coleslaw with whatever (use your imagination). I really had to see what it was like for a vegetarian to have to go somewhere and find something on the menu that wasn't smothered in some type of dead animal.
        Last edited by Lamb Boy; 07-10-2006, 08:57 PM.

Comment

To the typical vegeterian, everything about meat is an "argument". To me, there is NO argument. I eat everything and I've never had a complaint in my strength department

For example just today I had some delicious mushroom soup and turkey fesenjan and rice that I had made myself, and cereal. Yesterday I had a couple of really nice chicken sausages while at night I had some black bean and chipotle wraps. I'll occasionally go to Indian buffets where I eat both the vegeterian dishes and all the lamb and chicken dishes. Other days I might go to a local mongolian buffet and have a huge dish of just veggies with some meat in there for flavoring.

The hard core vegeterians often like to make the extreme argument as if that's ALL a meat person would eat is just meat meat meat. Of course nothing could be farther from the truth and one could have a VERY balanced diet eating everything ... you just have to pick and choose carefully. In my opinion, eating red fatty meat every day is just as rediculous as chewing on celery day in and day out.

As far as just grass and celery and leaves and other pure "greens" ... to me, usually that's what food eats. But again, I reserve the right to have my spinach or cucumber yogurt as a side to my chicken bowl.
          Last edited by Sip; 07-10-2006, 09:02 PM.
          this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie

It doesn't matter if it takes less space to produce potatoes than beef... who cares? They're not the same thing and they don't have the same nutritive value. Want to talk about efficiency yet ignoring what the most efficient source of protien is. And people are starving in the world so we should eat meat? C'mon now.
            Why argue anyway??
            Worst of all, you start eating potatos and veggies ... what starts to happen? Those poor morons start to have more babies because they are not starving anymore. Eating more efficiently is not an answer to the overpopulation of the earth. After all, what's our goal? Just to fill the earth with as many humans as possible? What worth is life then if we are going to hook ourselves up to the most efficient grub IV that will feed the optimal amounts of efficiently engineered nutrients into our blood stream to keep us barely alive?
            this post = teh win.

Comment

I meant reps of...

That isn't a ridiculous site. That is a summary of many scientific studies. See: Diet for a New America, as one source for the info, but many others.

Why argue anyway??
              Why argue? Well one of several thousand reasons:
              Human slave owners argued against abolitionists with the exact language and logic to defend human slavery.

Last edited by Anahita; 07-10-2006, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Right on Sip.

I make a mean tofu and black bean burrito! The secret is to lightly sauté the (lite firm) tofu until it browns and loses its moisture. Then the tofu just acts like a sponge and sops up the black bean sauce. Mmmmmmm yummy!

Seriously I wish it were a tad more like Japan over here sometimes. Think about it they're on an island so seafood is really the most plentiful animal products available. They treat beef like we treat fish. Being on an island land is scarce so using craploads of acres to graze cattle is retarded. So what happens to beef over there? Kobe ... Mmmmmmmm yummy! hehehe Massaged, fed beer, and then way more humanely put to sleep to avoid that fear surge vegetarians always talk about. That's why they live so damn long our fish to beef ratios are totally inverted. In South America where some places diet somewhere in the vicinity of 80% red meat they also have some of the highest rates of heart disease. So if I eat some red meat I'd prefer it to be of a higher quality than what you get at most restaurants even. For pork nothing beats Niman Ranch ... Kobe of pork.

Check it out makes me wish I was a little piggy chillin on their farm!! lol

Niman Ranch

Read the our story>our pork. They're so cool ...

Comment

Originally posted by Anahita
                  I meant reps of...
                  And you assume I didn't?

That isn't a ridiculous site. That is a summary of many scientific studies. See: Diet for a New America, as one source for the info, but many others.
                  It is? Funny... I didn't see a single reference to a scientific publication there.
                  Only a site that is so concerned with only including accurate figures and statements would say the t-rex, the largest meat eater died as an argument for vegetarianism right? Because we ALL know the t-rex became extinct because it ate meat... while all the other dinosaurs who were herbavores still exist today and roam the Earth.

Why argue? Well one of several thousand reasons:
                  Human slave owners argued against abolitionists with the exact language and logic to defend human slavery.
                  What does human slavery have to do with vegetarianism?
                  [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                  -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Question:

If you were born as a wolf, would you still choose to be vegi.?

Comment

Originally posted by Fedayeen
                      Question:

If you were born as a wolf, would you still choose to be vegi.?
                      I would kill to live. I'd rather not need to do that. I don't even kill spiders in my house. I take them outside, where they should be.

On your question: I am a vegetarian. If I HAD TO eat another animal to live, I would. I could go fishing. Yes. I don't have to. That's my point. I don't HAVE TO and NOR do MOST humans.

Comment

Working...
                      X