Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Paranoid personality disorder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paranoid personality disorder

Paranoid personality disorder

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Paranoid personality disorder is a psychiatric diagnosis that denotes a personality disorder with paranoid features. It is characterized by an exaggerated sensitivity to rejection, resentfulness, distrust, as well as the inclination to distort experienced events. Neutral and friendly actions of others are often misinterpreted as being hostile or contemptuous. Unfounded suspicions regarding the sexual loyalty of partners and loyalty in general as well as the belief that one’s rights are not being recognized is stubbornly and argumentatively insisted upon. Such individuals can possess an excessive self-assurance and a tendency toward an exaggerated self-reference. Pathological jealousy, instinctive aggressive counter-attack, the need to control others, and the gathering of trivial or circumstantial "evidence" to support their jealous beliefs also features. The use of the term paranoia in this context is not meant to refer to the presence of frank delusions or psychosis, but implies the presence of ongoing, unbased suspiciousness and distrust of people.
    Contents
    [hide]

* 1 Diagnosis
    * 2 Epidemiology
    * 3 References
    * 4 External links

[edit] Diagnosis

* 301.00 Paranoid Personality Disorder

According to the DSM-IV-TR, this disorder is characterised by a pervasive distrust and suspiciousness of others such that their motives are interpreted as malevolent, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:

* Suspects, without sufficient basis, that others are exploiting, harming, or deceiving him or her
    * Is preoccupied with unjustified doubts about the loyalty or trustworthiness of friends or associates
    * Is reluctant to confide in others because of unwarranted fear that the information will be used maliciously against him or her
    * Reads hidden demeaning or threatening meanings in benign remarks or events
    * Persistently bears grudges, i.e., is unforgiving of insults, injuries, or slights
    * Perceives attacks on his or her character or reputation that are not apparent to others and is quick to react angrily or to counterattack
    * Has recurrent suspicions, without justification, regarding fidelity of spouse or sexual partner.

Exclusionary conditions:

* Does not occur exclusively during the course of a mood disorder with psychotic features, schizophrenia, or another psychotic disorder.
    * Is not due to the direct physiological effects of a general medical condition.

Re: Paranoid personality disorder

Sometimes I really wish I had had a broader educational path than what I have had so far in my life. I always tend to stick to topics that are of immediate interest to me and never really bothered to explore the breadth rather than the depth of the opportunities I have had. But I guess it is never too late to start to expand.

Thanks for this post Axel. You have no idea how enlightening it has been... or maybe you do! It is amazing how complex the behavior of the human mind can be to someone who doesn't really understand it. But much like anything else, once you start to distinguish and understand certain patterns, so many things fall into place!
    Last edited by Sip; 09-25-2007, 11:30 PM.
    this post = teh win.

Comment

OCD : Obsessive-compulsive disorder

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a psychiatric anxiety disorder most commonly characterized by a subject's obsessive, distressing, intrusive thoughts and related compulsions (tasks or "rituals") which attempt to neutralize the obsessions. It is listed by the World Health Organization as one of the top 10 most disabling illnesses in terms of a diminished quality of life.[1]

The phrase "obsessive-compulsive" has worked its way into the wider English lexicon, and is often used in an offhand manner to describe someone who is meticulous or absorbed in a cause (see also "anal-retentive"). Such casual references should not be confused with obsessive-compulsive disorder; see clinomorphism. It is also important to distinguish OCD from other types of anxiety, including the routine tension and stress that appear throughout life. Although these signs are often present in OCD, a person who shows signs of infatuation or fixation with a subject/object, or displays traits such as perfectionism, does not necessarily have OCD, a specific and well-defined condition.

To be diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive disorder, one must have either obsessions or compulsions alone, or obsessions and compulsions, according to the DSM-IV-TR diagnostic criteria. The Quick Reference to the diagnostic criteria from DSM-IV-TR (2000) describes these obsessions and compulsions:[2]

Obsessions are defined by:

Recurrent and persistent thoughts, impulses, or images that are experienced at some time during the disturbance, as intrusive and inappropriate and that cause marked anxiety or distress.
      The thoughts, impulses, or images are not simply excessive worries about real-life problems.
      The person attempts to ignore or suppress such thoughts, impulses, or images, or to neutralize them with some other thought or action.
      The person recognizes that the obsessional thoughts, impulses, or images are a product of his or her own mind, and are not based in reality.
      The tendency to haggle over small details that the viewer is unable to fix or change in any way. This begins a mental pre-occupation with that which is inevitable.
      Compulsions are defined by:

Repetitive behaviors or mental acts that the person feels driven to perform in response to an obsession, or according to rules that must be applied rigidly.
      The behaviors or mental acts are aimed at preventing or reducing distress or preventing some dreaded event or situation; however, these behaviors or mental acts either are not connected in a realistic way with what they are designed to neutralize or prevent or are clearly excessive.
      In addition to these criteria, at some point during the course of the disorder, the sufferer must realize that his/her obsessions or compulsions are unreasonable or excessive. Moreover, the obsessions or compulsions must be time-consuming (taking up more than one hour per day), cause distress, or cause impairment in social, occupational, or school functioning.[2] OCD often causes feelings similar to those of depression.

[...]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessi...lsive_disorder

Comment

I definitely have paranoid tendencies. Especially when I smoked marijuana (which was part of the reason why I quit, along with some others).
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

It's important to realize that meeting a couple of the characteristics doesn't a disorder make. It must be maladaptive and negatively impact your life (e.g. relationships, work, etc.).

Originally posted by Anonymouse View Post
          I definitely have paranoid tendencies. Especially when I smoked marijuana (which was part of the reason why I quit, along with some others).
          What kind of garbage were you smoking?
          [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
          -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

I wasn't expecting such an enthusiastic response from the community. I am literally buried under applications. I should have mentioned that any spontaneous candidate would be rejected de facto as non eligible.

Comment

This guy might have it: http://youtube.com/user/Daxflame

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
                Sometimes I really wish I had had a broader educational path than what I have had so far in my life. I always tend to stick to topics that are of immediate interest to me and never really bothered to explore the breadth rather than the depth of the opportunities I have had. But I guess it is never too late to start to expand.
                I'm the same way. I wish I took up an interesting in reading and research way earlier. Such things were the last thing on my mind in my youth for personal reasons, but as you said, it's better late than never.

I manage a nutritional supplement store, so I've read quite a bit about varying health issues, be it for myself, or to be better able to help customers. It's a great feeling when you see someone come in hopeless about a situation, and leave revived because you just exposed them to a totally foreign concept that can help. "My doctor never told me that!" Of course s/he didn't. They're owned by the pharmaceutical companies. It doesn't behoove them to give you natural ways to take control of your own health, nor do most of them even know any of this.

Most disorders of the mind of this nature (anxiety disorder/panic attacks, ADD, depression, OCD, etc.) are closely related in symptoms, in what causes them, and in methods that help to remedy them. DMAE, gaba, l-tyrosine, DHA (from Omega 3), kava kava, phosphatidylserine, ginkgo biloba, taurine, DLPA, etc....you'll see a lot of these supplements reoccurring in many formulas for any of the above mentioned issues.

Even before resorting to such supplements, I would start by getting the digestive tract back in order. It's truly frightening how many of our health ailments can be traced back to poor diets, and/leading to poor digestion. This in turn leads to toxins getting into the bloodstream and reeking havoc on the kidneys, liver, gallbladder, etc. Since things like blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. are all regulated by these organs, toxins inhibiting the proper function of these organs leads to a wide variety of health problems that doctors "just can't figure out the cause of". It's all a chain reaction, and so you should start at the very beginning if you hope to kill the root of the problem.

Do a thorough detox of the colon, followed by an over-all/whole body detox (done in this order to keep the toxins in the colon from recirculating into the bloodstream, and back into the kidneys, liver, etc.). So long as you maintain a 35g+/day fiber diet, this cleansing phase won't be necessary/critical in the future, though it still doesn't hurt to do it periodically. Once that's through, start taking a good digestive enzyme and probiotic product to properly break down, and absorb your foods. The only other things I'd consider musts for over all health is fish oil, and a QUALITY multi-vitamin (not the garbage you pick up at the mass market pharmacy stores). Aside from that, milk thistle for a month once or twice a year is always a good idea. It is PHENOMENAL for the liver, with no sited side effects. There are countless studies showing that even alcoholics who have annihilated their liver (cirrhosis) have totally rejuvenated and brought back the proper function of the organ with just milk thistle alone. Definitely doesn't hurt to use it a couple times a year.

Another extremely important factor is of course exercise. More and more, the average American lifestyle (regardless of where you "came from") is becoming sedentary, from the types of jobs we work, to our hobbies (or lack there of). Exercise is critical for regulating metabolism, burning the fat around organs (FAR more important than the fat you can "see"), as well as releasing endorphins that make you "feel good". You don't have to train for a triathlon. Just get on a bike, take a swim, lead some LA cops on a foot chase, do SOMEthing to get the heart rate up for a half hour each day.

If all that, + a proper diet doesn't work after a few months, you can go from there as far as adding other supplements in. But you've got to give these things a chance to work. Don't just give up on it because you don't feel immediate relief. That's part of the problem with Western mentality, and why everything in Western medicine is usually a band-aid fix to cover up symptoms as opposed to actually getting to the root of the problem. Remember, you didn't develop the problems overnight. It took time to build up to the point where it started effecting your health, so it's going to take some time to straighten it out.

Comment

Working...
                X