Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Your thoughts on God and religion

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your thoughts on God and religion

Let's see if we can spark some discussion here. I want to know what you think about religion. Is there a God? How can you possibly know? Do you practice a religion? If so, then why. What are the advantages and disadvantages of religion, should there be a separation of church and state, etc.

I'm not a particularly religious person myself, though I would not go so far as to say I'm certain that all religions are completely wrong and I believe that there is no God. I've thought about it long and hard, and I can't find enough evidence to really sway me in either direction.

So, take the poll and post your comments. Hopefully, we'll be at each other's throats in no time.
    Orthodox Christian
    42.86%
    Other Christian
    14.29%
    Other non-Christian
    7.14%
    Agnostic
    17.86%
    Atheist
    7.14%
    Couldn't care less
    10.71%

"should there be seperation of church and state?"

In the US,yes.

Seperation of church and state is important since its such a diverse counrty, with people of various religious backgrounds.

as for other countries such as Armenian and Israel, No. Church and state go hand in hand. The church is the core of the people, and culture. Without the church, the state and culture can't be as strong, and will lack the solidarity which the church insures.

Part of the reason of the Haskalah movement was to preserve the religion of Judaism and the devotion to the Torah in the Jewish people.

culture and religion have a symbiotic relationship each feeding the other.

Comment

Originally posted by spiral
      Part of the reason of the Haskalah movement was to preserve the religion of Judaism and the devotion to the Torah in the Jewish people.

I see somebody has been taking Jewish studies classes

God and religion I could care less. The only time I go to church is for weddings, other than that almost never sat foot in one.

Comment

I Belive in God, always did, always will.

Comment

I do believe in God (a higher power). Every time I've needed God, God has come through for me, sooner or later. Coincidence? I think not.

Many events take place that can't be due simply to chance. The rules of entropy wouldn't allow it. The existence of a higher power is necessary to make sense of these events.

Notice how I didn't use he or she? I think that the gender is irrelevant.

I am not someone who you'd call a religious person, in the sense that I do not go to church too often (average of 1x/year - for weddings/baptisms, or when I went to church in Armenia when I went back in 2000 and burned a candle for gratitude that I'd been able to go back) and do not pray in public. I think demonstrating your "religiousness" to others is plain bullxxxx. Who are you trying to impress? I can't stand people that freak out from the possibility of missing church on Sunday morning. Personally, I pray on my own, ALONE, with no one around. So yes, that's my story.

Comment

I'm not very religious, but I believe in God. I go to church maybe like one or two times a month or so.
            I see...

Comment

Let's see if we can spark some discussion here. I want to know what you think about religion. Is there a God? How can you possibly know? Do you practice a religion? If so, then why. What are the advantages and disadvantages of religion, should there be a separation of church and state, etc.
              Believing or not believing in God is purely a subjective matter, and ultimately depends on what world view you take. If you take the materialistic world view, which was advocated by many such as Freud, Marx, etc., the only thing that there exists is what we know and what we can establish with research and testability, indeed according to most of the scientific establishment. One does not have to assume religion in order to be of the spiritual persuasion that yes there is a dualistic nature of existence and a belief in God and another life perhaps.

Most people who reject God do so on the account of the belief in it not being "scientific", in other words not yielding to the laws of testability which come with science, whether its biology or physics, which deal with the material world. But how does one expect to answer the spiritual question of God using criteria for a materialistic world? Those are two mutually exclusive things. Freud called his world view "scientific" because of its premise that knowledge comes only from research. Of course this basic premise cannot itself be based on scientific research. Rather, it is a philosophical assumption that cannot be proven. One can only assume that all knowledge comes from science and "proving" and that no knowledge comes from the spiritual world view.

For me personally, I have gone through my phase of not believing in God, and according to Freud this is rooted both in our psyche and our childhood, our fear of being left alone, so he says we create a God out of this fear, sort of like a father figure. I have come to find that, no matter what earthly pleasures or ideologies or isms or rewards I have been exposed to, those things that offered you material bliss and eternity have never and cannot satisfy me in the way that my spiritual bond with the spiritual world exists, and which I gain through reading and analyzing and enriching myself.

I'm not a particularly religious person myself, though I would not go so far as to say I'm certain that all religions are completely wrong and I believe that there is no God. I've thought about it long and hard, and I can't find enough evidence to really sway me in either direction.
              Ultimately its a conflict within your own self that is questioning the existence of a God or something beyond our intelligence, a force if you will, no matter how you hyphenate it. One doesn't have to subscribe to a particular religion or sect to be spiritually involved with God or general spirituality and metaphysical stuff. Of course I see many people without even examining the main monotheistic religions of the world, comparing them, studying them, but outright rejecting them because of the church and how it forces people to believe in something that you cant prove. For one, we must distinguish between Churchianity and what the actual books of the said religion speak of. Then we can compare Christianity to Judaism, to Islam, to other pagan religions before its time and see many similarities and all speaking about morality as absolute, a world or existence beyond the material world, and the theme of a savior and resurrection is prevalent throughout religions. But one does not need to subscribe to any religion, and if one does, there is no harm in that. Our political conditioning has taught us that it is wrong to be spiritual or enhance your spirit, and to only focus on the material world, and transcendence through materialism, by attaching yourself to ideologies and isms and external institutions that promise this or that reward. The bulk of humanity has for the most part lost its spirituality.

There is this saying that goes like this:

I turn to you. . . I poke you in the arm with my finger
              and I ask, "Is this your body?" you answer, "Yes." I
              then ask, "Well,.... if that's your body, WHAT are you?"
              The answer of course is a spiritual being.
              Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by patlajan This thread has been done atleast twice and to death.
                Thank you Captain Obvious, you're opinion is worth...what do you call it when the cash register is all empty?

Now I don't know if eggplants are capable of discussing this topic, but maybe you can make history here.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

That's a good start.

Of course, Freud would go along with your explanation, in fact many of thepsychoanalysists and existentialists themselves would argue, ala Aristotle, that man needs purpose and a reason and man's mind is what creates these things.

Of course what this argue does is reduce all things to a material worldview. So you actually do not believe in anything beyond the physical world, or a spirituality? I cannot help but wonder at the precision of all things to believe that there is some intelligence behind this, and ultimately it is faith that allows me to make this leap, which for each individual is different.

Thus what most atheists do is try to marginalize it as "Bah you're using faith again to defend the lack of evidence for such things", but like I said, to try to answer questions regarding spiritual transcendence of individuals with purely materialistic science criteria is going off the road.

I am to assume that you are an agnostic more leaning towards atheism?
                  Achkerov kute.

Comment

So those that claim to have had spiritual transcendence are delusional right?
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Working...
                    X