Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anonymouse The Mises Institute doesn't see it the way you do. They are people devoted to liberty and economic principles surrounding individualism. While accusing others of being closed minded for wanting to marry within their culture, the same open minded goomba is now exercising the very logic he is against, "going with what you know". And the same person who liked to quote Socrates in how it is essential to question everything with regard to the discussion on God or free will, to sound semi intelligent, is now doing the exact opposite.

The fact that you cannot engage in any form of critical thinking and how dependent you are on the system, is the exact reason why I expect the response that you gave. That other people may be victim because of Imperialism, abroad, and at home, and some may have their individual rights violated, is of no concern, as long as you have your football, and your ability to churn up love stories.

Thus when you proved yourself incapable, or unable to discuss this, it is expected that you would accuse me of "pedogogy" or earlier of "idealism" which is the exact thing I am against, which shows to me, you don't pay attention, nor bring your beliefs to question.

I think your behavior is just a big lard of contradictions that if used to cook bacon, wouldn't produce the desired results.
    Your big long rant here doesn't change the fact that refusing to vote is not going to effect any change other than office-holders being appointed by other office-holders instead of by popular election.

I'm not sure where I indicated that individual rights are not any concern of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname Your big long rant here doesn't change the fact that refusing to vote is not going to effect any change other than office-holders being appointed by other office-holders instead of by popular election.

I'm not sure where I indicated that individual rights are not any concern of mine.
      Your trivial focus on "office holders" appointing other "office holders" makes no sense, since people would then not identify themselves with these external State institutions, thus back to my question, who would be left for them to rule anyway? It is also a characteristic of power to corrupt, per Lord Acton, so it wouldn't be wise on the part of the "office holders" to appoint too many people, since their own power would be abrogated.

Of course assuming that there is an anarchical society, there wouldn't be any room for these to exist. To go further and state this as an idealism, begs the question, for no matter what we do in our lives is geared toward idealism, so I'm left wondering what it is you are trying to argue here.

As far as voting, well that is probably the worst thing to ever happen. One can make an argument that if it weren't for Democracy, much of the bloodshed in the 20th century could have been avoided.

If you legitimize the existence of the State, then you are ipso facto identified as not standing up for the individual, since all individuals come after the State and are a means to an end for the State.
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse Your trivial focus on "office holders" appointing other "office holders" makes no sense, since people would then not identify themselves with these external State institutions, thus back to my question, who would be left for them to rule anyway? It is also a characteristic of power to corrupt, per Lord Acton, so it wouldn't be wise on the part of the "office holders" to appoint too many people, since their own power would be abrogated.
        Then they will likely appoint themselves. The offices will need to be filled somehow, and believe me, they will be. The people will be ruled whether they like it or not. The only way your idea could even possibly work is if every person in the world simultaneously agreed to not recognize any leaders nor have any desire to be a leader themselves. I'll give you two guess as to whether or not that's ever going to happen. If that isn't idealism, I don't know what is.

Originally posted by Anonymouse If you legitimize the existence of the State, then you are ipso facto identified as not standing up for the individual, since all individuals come after the State and are a means to an end for the State.
        That's a bit like saying legitimizing the existence of God negates any sense of individuality, as all of His children are necessarily subordinate to him and ruled over with the threat of eternal damnation. What is more tyrannical than that?

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname Then they will likely appoint themselves. The offices will need to be filled somehow, and believe me, they will be. The people will be ruled whether they like it or not. The only way your idea could even possibly work is if every person in the world simultaneously agreed to not recognize any leaders nor have any desire to be a leader themselves. I'll give you two guess as to whether or not that's ever going to happen. If that isn't idealism, I don't know what is.

That's a bit like saying legitimizing the existence of God negates any sense of individuality, as all of His children are necessarily subordinate to him and ruled over with the threat of eternal damnation. What is more tyrannical than that?
          See my response in the anarchy thread.
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

I did. Give me a little more detail on how that idea might work, and how it doesn't constitute a state, and you might find me a little more receptive than when you simply rant and insult.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse If you legitimize the existence of the State, then you are ipso facto identified as not standing up for the individual, since all individuals come after the State and are a means to an end for the State.
              So you illegitimize the state by not voting? Meanwhile, you receive a taxpayer-funded education at a state university. Way to stand up for what you believe in.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname So you illegitimize the state by not voting? Meanwhile, you receive a taxpayer-funded education at a state university. Way to stand up for what you believe in.
                So much for "taxpayer funded education". I'm paying so much, they might as well call it a private school.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

Call it what you want. It doesn't change the fact that you are legitmizing the state's existence.

Comment

Well, if you can argue that way, I would be legitimizing the State's existence, but am I voting politicians into office that later authorize U.S. military using cluster bombs on Iraq?

If you argue it in the way that the State has virtually caused the rising prices, fixed wages, taxation, that this is somehow had debilitating effects on me and the general economy of a market society, leaving me with no choice but for practicality and proximity to attend the school I do, then I wouldn't be directly justifying the State, simply out of necessity because of the State.
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Many people feel the same way about voting. And I have not voted any politicians into office.

Comment

Working...
                      X