Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes and comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: elegy

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post
    ignorance and stupidity
    may be the most innocent of all crimes
    but in life
    they are the most severely punished.
    My experience tells me the same. Though is man not always plagued with ignorance and stupidity that he must constantly surmount and fight against all his life?

I suppose you combat it because when you see it in another and do nothing about it, you start to see it in yourself. I say this because this is how I feel towards my family after I get mad at them for doing something stupid, or if they get mad at me for doing something stupid that was actually a result of everyone's lack of initiative and collaboration.

Comment

Wednesday, June 16, 2009
      OUR FAVORITE MANTRA
      A reader writes: “They massacred us because they hated us.”
      That's racist talk and that's nonsense.
      Not all Turks hated us. Some even risked their lives to save some of us, in the same way that today some of them are willing to risk their freedom to support our cause. No doubt Talaat and his gang of cut-throats were racist, but then, who wasn't? Even Americans of “all men are created equal” fame were racists. They didn't massacre all their minorities, true, only some of them. They were smarter than Turks. They divided and exploited them mercilessly. Where would America be today without its cheap labor? Empires are raised by brute force but maintained by divide-and-rule manipulation.
      We are better at dividing ourselves – or rather, allowing others to divide us -- than dividing our enemies. This may explain why almost all talk of Armenians by Armenians ends with the mantra, “Mart bidi ch'ellank.” And because I explain and expand on this mantra, I am silenced. We want flattery, not criticism no matter how objective and honest. But flattery does not solve problems, it covers them up. Flattery does not build character, honesty does.
      #

Comment

That's racist talk and that's nonsense.
        We never said all Turks were racists and hated us. We're saying that a very big majority were. Saying that THOUSANDS if not MILLIONS of Turks weren't racists before and aren't racists today is not only nonsense but illiterate and childish.

You either don't know Turkey very well ... or do ... and still support the Turks!

I know so many Turks I would GLADLY give my life for but sadly they aren't a majority ... or even in many respects ... a minority. The laws and mentality of the Turkish leaders and YES, millions of Turks, is very dangerous. It's not only us they hate. They have issues they need to SERIOUSLY deal with and I'm afraid not saying what's going on by it's name won't change anything. And before I end this post, a FUN FACT:

Turkey is considered the most uncivil, backwards, and inhumane (can't really remember the word used) nation in the world. It's number one in the list! I doubt this could've happened if the Turks weren't racists and if Turkey didn't have VERY SERIOUS issues to deal with. I suggest you take a better look at what's going on and with what country we're dealing with.

Bottom line is, we have to look at the bigger picture at all times. Period.
        Last edited by Sako; 06-17-2009, 04:04 AM.
        THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Originally posted by Saco View Post

Turkey is considered the most uncivil, backwards, and inhumane (can't really remember the word used) nation in the world. It's number one in the list! I doubt this could've happened if the Turks weren't racists and if Turkey didn't have VERY SERIOUS issues to deal with. I suggest you take a better look at what's going on and with what country we're dealing with.

Bottom line is, we have to look at the bigger picture at all times. Period.
          Saco, Ara will just turn this around and replace "Turkey" with "Armenia". I see his point in challenging us to be better than seekers of flattery.

Armenians have very serious issues to deal with too, namely... How much of our own livelihood are the majority of us willing to give up in order to even begin to face, or better, to acknowledge our own problems, what needs to be done to ensure the survival of Armenia, and afterwards, bringing about an epoch enlightenment for our race? Yes our people have so many talents and skills, but we must used them in the right conscience in order to make anything out of our country. Many of us prefer to settle for Turk hate as an orthodox path to being "an Armenian", I consider this shallow and weak. Yes, we must fight our enemies, but that doesn't mean we mustn't look at ourselves with penetrating eyes and see that we aren't as angelic and benevolent as we'd like to think we are.

There is virtually no limit to this way of self-sacrifice for the sake of Armenians, and the deeper we go with it, the more we will discover that there are better, more constructive inputs for our energies than our classic chauvinism, our quest for sensual pleasures and comforts, immediate self-gratification...

Saco, as a religious person, I'm sure you already know this very well.
          Last edited by jgk3; 06-17-2009, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Very well said JGK3
            "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Saco, Ara will just turn this around and replace "Turkey" with "Armenia".
              I'd love to see him try! Are you by chance comparing the most uncivil country in the world to Armenia? That's almost hilarious if you are, J.

I see his point in challenging us to be better than seekers of flattery.
              Who exactly is seeking flattery? I'd say half of our populace aren't seeking anything at all. They just go with the flow. That's what pains me. They neither move on or back. They just go with the flow no matter what you do. What flattery are you talking about? Has any Armenian said that we don't have problems? I very much doubt it. If he's challenging you J, that's fine. But he shouldn't be challenging me because I couldn't care less about flattery. I'm looking at the facts and I can see that Mr. B is covering some very important ones up ... perhaps unintentionally ... and I can't agree with that. I'm sorry.

Armenians have very serious issues to deal with too, namely... How much of our own livelihood are the majority of us willing to give up in order to even begin to face, or better, to acknowledge our own problems, what needs to be done to ensure the survival of Armenia, and afterwards, bringing about an epoch enlightenment for our race? Yes our people have so many talents and skills, but we must used them in the right conscience in order to make anything out of our country.
              ABSOLUTELY agree here. I've been saying this no matter where I go. We need to pull ourselves together. But I'm afraid you're taking this conversation in a different direction. Mr. B wasn't talking about Armenia's current state. In many posts he's been talking about why the AG took place and basically HISTORY not the PRESENT. And I challenged him very seriously with my posts. The result? He's talking to you now! There is a word for this ... I think it was called "Ignoring".

If we're talking about the past ... let's stick to that. If we're talking about the present... let's stick to the present. Both are very broad fields and we shouldn't be mixing them up. Mr. B has been mixing A LOT up and that's why I think people have started misunderstanding him on many occasions.

Many of us prefer to settle for Turk hate as an orthodox path to being "an Armenian", I consider this shallow and weak. Yes, we must fight our enemies, but that doesn't mean we mustn't look at ourselves with penetrating eyes and see that we aren't as angelic and benevolent as we'd like to think we are.
              I agree again but not everyone falls into this category of Armenians. In fact, many don't give a xxxx about our past.

There is virtually no limit to this way of self-sacrifice for the sake of Armenians, and the deeper we go with it, the more we will discover that there are better, more constructive inputs for our energies than our classic chauvinism, our quest for sensual pleasures and comforts, immediate self-gratification...

Saco, as a religious person, I'm sure you already know this very well.
              Yeah I do but what exactly are we talking about right NOW? The past? The present? I was talking mostly about the past ... saying that xxxx is mixed up today in Turkey ... the same way it was back then! Let's decide what we're talking about and start talking. If we're just going to through random thoughts around, count me out. We won't get anywhere like that...

Comment

What he was referring to is the age old saying "United We Stand, Divided We Fall". We need to unite as a people and divide our enemies.... but it's obvious we still haven't grasped that concept since we're constantly battling within ourselves.
                "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

I agree ... but he (Mr. B) has also said a lot of things that are far from reality!

Comment

I'm talking about the present, and Ara's message is that our present condition, in terms of how our people think, move, work, etc... is not very much unlike the past 600 years. As you said, the majority go with the flow, apparently because they don't have the means to do great works. To me that is nonsense, some of the most influential people in history came from the lowest ranks.

Comment

As long as people live and think as individuals as opposed to a collective, nothing will change. If a group of 100 men work together to build homes, they can build an entire neighbourhood in months given the resources to do so. Government and the social structure is preventing this from happening.

Comment

Working...
                      X