Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Extent of the Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extent of the Universe

We have a universe. But how far does this universe extend to? As far as I know, the universe expands and in the process of it, makes room for itself. But what lies outside of the universe? If nothing, then in what is the universe contained? From what we know about space, there is always something outside of it, is it not? Not to go off on a tangent, but what lies on the other side of black holes? Am I rambling? I hope I'm not the only one that has wondered about the answers to these questions. Your thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

Aphro, I have you to thank for the inspiration of this thread.

Correct me if I am wrong but the scientific answer is there is nothing external to the universe. Space is created internally, and the BB happened everywhere simultaneously. So space acts as its own container.

I believe there exist one highly speculative theory is some sort of super-structure that spawns singularities that become baby universes by pinching themselves off.

Comment

That is precisely my question. If the universe keeps expanding, what are we contained in? If you go to the 'edge' of the universe, and take that extra step to 'pierce' the 'wall' of it, what will you find?

Comment

I might be able to have a satisfying life by just thinking about things like this...and maybe drinking. But honestly, how do you expect us to know what the edge of the universe is? It's probably something we can't even comprehend.

Comment

I don't expect you to have answers. I was merely asking what your thoughts are on the subject. Interestng idea though, isn't it?

Comment

Hmm, I think your question presupposes an edge to the universe and a center. Neither of these exist in current cosmology. As it turns out there is a slight blueshift in the radiation in one direction, a slight redshift in the other. This is due to our relative motion through the radiation. But, if you take that motion into account, you find the radiation field is almost uniform in all directions, just as if we were at the center of it (of course, one would expect to see just this effect from anywhere in the universe - we just happen to be here).

Comment

Originally posted by clubbin714 Hmm, I think your question presupposes an edge to the universe and a center. Neither of these exist in current cosmology. As it turns out there is a slight blueshift in the radiation in one direction, a slight redshift in the other. This is due to our relative motion through the radiation. But, if you take that motion into account, you find the radiation field is almost uniform in all directions, just as if we were at the center of it (of course, one would expect to see just this effect from anywhere in the universe - we just happen to be here).
              I've heard otherwise. My knowledge of cosmology is not that big, but I am pretty certain that the reason that we know that the universe is expanding is precisely because the radiation in the universe is not uniform. Or am I mixing up my facts? Anyone?

And what is this about a redshift and blueshift? Care to explain?

Comment

The primitive idea of infinite space exists in man for all time, like the ancients so the modern. It and the idea of infinite time are the first two innate ideas. We cannot concieve how thing can be added to thing or event follow event, forever, that there must be an empty void without limit. We have measured distances and dimensions, learned the specific grabvity, determined the orbits of the moon and the plants, the distance of the sun, the size of it, comets, dstances of fixed stars and that they are suns like our sun, each perhaps with its own retuinue of worlds, all governed by the same mechanical laws from outward forces such as ceintripetal and centrifugal. Their origin we dont know but its force we calculte. The ancients regarded that as moved by an intelligent force that had its origin in the first and universal intelligence. Its certain that we are no nearer to the truth than they were. What the hell is a centrifugal or a centripetal? Wjere does it come from?
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

In essence, the mind of a human is incapable of perceiving infinity. But it is there. It can be shown mathematically. It does not make sense to make a claim that there is a wall and an end because a box is defined by its external space and is an isolation from a greater volume.

And centrifugal force was in a sense a mistake. It is momentum and tangents. Not an outward force. Nevermind that they still call it a centrifuge.

Comment

The new theory, cosmologists Paul Steinhardt and Neil Turok have developed a new cosmology that views the visible universe as one small part of a much larger reality, most of which exsists in other dimensions that we cannot perceive. Our universe exists on a three-dimensional membrane that lies right next to another membrane. Every trillion years or so, the two membranes collide, unleashing firestorm of energy analogous to the Big Bang. As in the earilier model, the universe cools, gives rise to galazies, and eventually expands to newar emptiness. In this version, however, another collision between membranes then restarts the whole cycle of creation.

Thus, time and space are both infinite. Our existence has no beginning or end, it exists in cyclicality.

Comment

Working...
                    X