Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Intelligence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assuming way too much? I'm afraid you are assuming way too much. How is intelligence environmental?

In fact, there is more evidence to believe it is hereditary, than "environmental". Intelligent people usually breed less than non intelligent people, and this speaks true in the society we live in. Welfare programs and other subsidies are extended to those lower half of the society. Take a look and see what goes on, and try to fit the puzzle.
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

where is the commom sense??

1st of all hello ladies and gentleman!
      well...darorinag is really darorinag but i respect ,esteem and idolize her notions!! and Anonymouse!! come one man If you take this seriously, then intelligence becomes irrelevant. It doesn't matter how intelligent you are (however you measure it), it matters what you do with the abilities you have. Now, it may not pay to take it seriously but it's been my experience that many share this view. Why? I guess it makes them feel better, but it's a hollow feeling...I cant see the common sense!! i am not here for an action but i am here just to talk and descuss and its all bout the meaning of IQ so here i repeat myself again IQ tests are a misnomer. They measure something that nobody can define. They certainly do not measure creativity, imagination, depth, profundity, experience, special talent (music, art, writing, math), curiosity, enthusiasm, reach, a nose for the truth, a nose for the relevant, intellectual honesty, daring, and so on.

It is hard to demonstrate that IQ tests measure any cognitive skill that contributes to the advancement of society.

Bertrand Russell claimed that IQ tests measure average intelligence only. Looking at Jimmy Carter with his IQ of 160+, I can see what Russell meant.

This is the same Jimmy Carter who, at a nationally-televised press conference, expressed genuine surprise that Brezhnev had lied to him.

Clearly, there is no correlation between IQ and sophistication.

In sum, I don't see that IQ tests do anything but satisfy the mania of science for a number...
      I am so Glad for joining this club its really helarious!!
      I will repeat myself again and again!! NICE MEETING YOU!!
      VerTigO

Comment

Re: where is the commom sense??

Originally posted by Wise 1st of all hello ladies and gentleman!
        well...darorinag is really darorinag but i respect ,esteem and idolize her notions!! and Anonymouse!! come one man If you take this seriously, then intelligence becomes irrelevant. It doesn't matter how intelligent you are (however you measure it), it matters what you do with the abilities you have. Now, it may not pay to take it seriously but it's been my experience that many share this view. Why? I guess it makes them feel better, but it's a hollow feeling...I cant see the common sense!! i am not here for an action but i am here just to talk and descuss and its all bout the meaning of IQ so here i repeat myself again IQ tests are a misnomer. They measure something that nobody can define. They certainly do not measure creativity, imagination, depth, profundity, experience, special talent (music, art, writing, math), curiosity, enthusiasm, reach, a nose for the truth, a nose for the relevant, intellectual honesty, daring, and so on.

It is hard to demonstrate that IQ tests measure any cognitive skill that contributes to the advancement of society.

Bertrand Russell claimed that IQ tests measure average intelligence only. Looking at Jimmy Carter with his IQ of 160+, I can see what Russell meant.

This is the same Jimmy Carter who, at a nationally-televised press conference, expressed genuine surprise that Brezhnev had lied to him.

Clearly, there is no correlation between IQ and sophistication.

In sum, I don't see that IQ tests do anything but satisfy the mania of science for a number...
        I am so Glad for joining this club its really helarious!!
        I will repeat myself again and again!! NICE MEETING YOU!!
        I'm sorry, I don't follow. If you are attempting to claim that intelligence tests are meaningless you'll have to do better than that. I understand about the "what you do with the abilities you have" part, but that is not what I was referring to. I simply picked your question of "can intelligence be measured?" and took it from there, a purely scientific viewpoint you see.

IQ tests don't just satisfy a number, they show exactly where people stand with their "abilities", and in turn we can deduce from that which people will perform better than others.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

Intelligence bears no relationship to the ability to memorize. Intelligence is the ability to comprehend and to actually learn something quickly and to see patterns of correlation and causation that others may not see. I have a rather high IQ, but my memory is terrible. I retain what I read pretty well, but I forget almost half the things I actually do. I remember a couple months a pretty funny incident where Shaq paraphrased Einstein's take on the matter. Old Al basically said that information is written down in books and there is no use for memorizing it. He would rather use his brain capacity to think.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname Intelligence bears no relationship to the ability to memorize. Intelligence is the ability to comprehend and to actually learn something quickly and to see patterns of correlation and causation that others may not see. I have a rather high IQ, but my memory is terrible. I retain what I read pretty well, but I forget almost half the things I actually do. I remember a couple months a pretty funny incident where Shaq paraphrased Einstein's take on the matter. Old Al basically said that information is written down in books and there is no use for memorizing it. He would rather use his brain capacity to think.
            Precisely! And let's not forget the hereditary nature of intelligence.
            Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse Precisely! And let's not forget the hereditary nature of intelligence.
              If she comes across this thread, perhaps Afro can comment on this. She did a report last semester and talked about the genetic basis of intelligence. It was noteworthy that studies show intelligence is not at all environmentally affected, unless brain development itself is hindered through contamination. A child can learn to use his brain faster than another child through continual practice, but by the time adulthood is reached, it all equals out and every person ends up with the IQ that was genetically predetermined.

What this tells me is that all the focus on early childhood education is misplaced. If we want an intellectual populace, the only way to achieve it is through the breeding of intellectuals. We need to stop these programs that encourage broke idiots to multiply like bacteria and do something to encourage intelligent, successful people to have more kids.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname If she comes across this thread, perhaps Afro can comment on this. She did a report last semester and talked about the genetic basis of intelligence. It was noteworthy that studies show intelligence is not at all environmentally affected, unless brain development itself is hindered through contamination. A child can learn to use his brain faster than another child through continual practice, but by the time adulthood is reached, it all equals out and every person ends up with the IQ that was genetically predetermined.

What this tells me is that all the focus on early childhood education is misplaced. If we want an intellectual populace, the only way to achieve it is through the breeding of intellectuals. We need to stop these programs that encourage broke idiots to multiply like bacteria and do something to encourage intelligent, successful people to have more kids.
                Absolutely! Precisely what Hitler said. Most people turn this into "racist propaganda" but god dammit it's just the facts.
                It's eugenic breeding. The present "programs" only allow for the less intelligent lower half to breed while making it harder for those intelligent people to breed, since they have more to worry about because they don't have programs riding out for them, costs matter for them. It is precisely if intelligent people breed more, will intelligent in any society increase, and hence the standard of civilization.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname Intelligence bears no relationship to the ability to memorize. Intelligence is the ability to comprehend and to actually learn something quickly and to see patterns of correlation and causation that others may not see. I have a rather high IQ, but my memory is terrible. I retain what I read pretty well, but I forget almost half the things I actually do. I remember a couple months a pretty funny incident where Shaq paraphrased Einstein's take on the matter. Old Al basically said that information is written down in books and there is no use for memorizing it. He would rather use his brain capacity to think.
                  thank you very much , that was the point i was trying make, but you worded it wayyyy better haha

Comment

Re: Intelligence

Originally posted by Wise I would enjoy reading your views on intelligence (human intelligence).

Can intelligence be measured or determined?

A person’s IQ (intelligence quotient) is the ratio of tested mental age to chronological age; a measure of a person's intelligence as indicated by an intelligence test. Can an IQ test conclude which human is smarter when compared with another individual? If intelligence has some sort of measurement, it winds-up indicating that intellect can equal zero. Is it possible for a person to have “zero” intelligence?

In my opinion, I think that an IQ test just illustrates how well a person can do certain subjects such as math or how well the brain processes certain tasks such as pattern recognition. But why does that mean that people who can comprehend certain material on the IQ test better than others indicate they are smarter?

Is a brilliant philosopher smarter than an astounding mathematician?

Is Amadeus Mozart, with an IQ of 185, more intelligent than you? Is Isaac Newton?

Is a Harvard graduate brighter than a high school dropout?

Intelligence is the faculty of thought and reason. However, thought and reason are limitless and immeasurable.

Intelligence is determined by your capacity to acquire and apply knowledge. Each person has a life span. Throughout their life they acquire unique knowledge that differs from every individual. A college graduate might have more knowledge in school subjects (i.e., math) compared to a dropout. However, if the two of them have existed the same amount of time, each have extremely different experiences acquired throughout their life. “Life experience” for each person is interpreted and applied to their knowledge. So how can one person’s knowledge be deemed more valuable or superior to another’s?

What is your opinion? I'm too unintelligent to figure it out. . .
                    Wise...

Traditional measures of intelligence such as IQ tests capture only a part of what it means to be intelligent. Humans need not only ANALITYCAL intelligence but also creative intelligence and practical intelligence to succeed in their life pusuits .
                    Analytical intelligence is the ability to analyze and evaluate ideas, solve problems and make decisions.
                    Creative intelligence involves going beyond what is given to generate novel and interesting ideas.
                    Practical intelligence is the ability that individuals use to find the best fit between themselves and the demands of the environment.

Precisely! And let's not forget the hereditary nature of intelligence.
                    Absolutely!!Books,environmental factors just boost the intelligence,they never make dumb person smart...
                    I'm a monstrous mass of vile, foul & corrupted matter.

Comment

If someone created an inteligence test, then we aren't really finding out how smart we are, rather we are comparing our inteligence with theirs.

Who or how could someone ever even dream of testing or categorizing inteligence?

Such a thing can't be done, just like the unanswered question.

Comment

Working...
                      X