Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Evolution and Religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anonymouse why does science assume it alone knows?
    It does not. If I had a penny for everytime I killed a moron who said that I would have 113 pennies.

Comment

sleuth:
      It can easily be a hypothesis because it is a conclusion drawn from observation.

Originally posted by sleuth No one can think of ways in which to test it".
      First of all, evolution is the observation. It itself does not need to be tested. The mechanism by which it occurs does.
      Techically, said mechanism can be tested. If by observation, one can compose another hypothesis about how macroevolution occurs, one can test it by recreation in a laboratory environment. That would be your test. If in a laboratory environment, a scientist can cause a change in the species of an organism and show that the causeing factor occured before then you have a theory.
      Last edited by Arvestaked; 01-20-2004, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sleuth and one more thing guy evolution is still THEORYYYYY so is creation....thers is no enough evidence....
        since evolutionists exclude god from science or eny other active function in the creation or maintenance of life and the universe in general, it is very obvious that their position is nothing but atheism. And atheism, no less than theism, is a religion!

A theory results from the scientific method. Creationism is not a theory; it is the result of the scientific method gone backwards. Take your qualms up with Descartes.

And science is not Atheism. Science is science. Many scientists being Atheist has nothing to do with it. Plus, the believing in a god or gods does not have an influence on what its role in the universe is. Not believing in Creationism's answer to what the origin of life is does not make one an atheist. I am an agnostic and I am an evolutionist.

And Atheism is not a religion. One can have a system of beliefs that is both Atheistic and religious and one can have a system of beliefs that is Atheistic and not religious.
        Last edited by Arvestaked; 01-20-2004, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sleuth i m going to desex arvest for this thread lol
          Hell forbid, we discuss something. You always have the option of going and reading/starting sex threads. Maybe one called "Evolutionists/Creationists I would bang."

Anyway, judging from my comatose sex life, I would say I have already been neutered for a year and a half so there is no need to fret over that.

Comment

Originally posted by Arvestaked I believe this is not true. It is said that experiments regarding mutation show that it is impossible for there to be enough positive mutations for a species to change into another. And, as for natural selection, it is understood that it can only contribute to the creation of subspecies (microevolution). That is why the movement of neo-Darwinism came about to propose the idea of mutations as the cause of macroevolution and natural selection being the mechanism of refinement amongst the mutated populations.
            Sorry, bud. Again, just refer to the Galapagos, or Hawaii, or any archipelago where speciation happens very quickly (relatively speaking, of course). Selective advantage due to point mutations have occured to the point where two groups that could once interbreed no longer can. That is a new species.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname Sorry, bud. Again, just refer to the Galapagos, or Hawaii, or any archipelago where speciation happens very quickly (relatively speaking, of course). Selective advantage due to point mutations have occured to the point where two groups that could once interbreed no longer can. That is a new species.
              Well if you could direct me to a website I would appreciate it.

Comment

Sorry, but I've never gotten any info regarding evolution from the internet. Take Heather Weber's general biology class and she'll show you some KCET video that talks about it.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname Sorry, but I've never gotten any info regarding evolution from the internet. Take Heather Weber's general biology class and she'll show you some KCET video that talks about it.
                  Do you have her e-mail address?

Comment

Originally posted by Arvestaked The mathematical improbability is only in reference to mutations being responsible for evolution. Not evolution itself.
                    Mutations and natural selection are what comprise the backbone of the theory of evolution. If it is improbable mathematically, the theory itself is fallible and therefore should arise doubt in people.

You are trying to give an aura of validity by trying to create exclusiveness between the two, when the two in reality go hand in hand.
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse Mutations and natural selection are what comprise the backbone of the theory of evolution. If it is improbable mathematically, the theory itself is fallible and therefore should arise doubt in people.

You are trying to give an aura of validity by trying to create exclusiveness between the two, when the two in reality go hand in hand.
                      No they do not. Evolution is an explanation of why genetics seems to be getting progressively complex, why we have vestigial structures, and why we do not have fossils of all species from all time periods. Mutation and natural selection were proposed explanations of the mechanism by which it occurs. It most likely has another cause we do not understand yet. I can understand if you want to advocate creationism, but at least understand the relationship between those concepts.
                      Last edited by Arvestaked; 01-20-2004, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X