Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Evolution and Religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Re: Evolution and religion....

Originally posted by Arvestaked That is actually exactly what I wanted to see as a response. It is true the mechanism for evolution is not known and that natural selection and mutations are, most likely not responsible. But I feel it is illogical and arrogant to have the "right until proven wrong" attitude that the godfearers tend to have.
    I'm not "right until proven wrong", I'm simply right in this sense because I ask for the evidence that leads from one species to another, and that evidence is lacking. Whether I am right or wrong in the long term sense of whether or not evolution will prove meaningful, well I might be just as wrong. Whether the theory of evolution is right or wrong, or the belief in God is right or wrong, in my opinion, will never be revealed to us on this physical dimension. Those that claim it is about observation, well, obviously no one has observed any species changing to some other new unknown or unpredicted species. All the changes that we exhibit, for the thousandth time, are within species, and one must be a really paranoid Bible thumper to deny within species variation. Macroevolution, or puncuated equilibria, is something of a mystery that was simply asserted and believed. Even now you are expressing faith in the theory by admitting that we do not know the mechanisms yet clinging to it because you have hopes. Thus by doing so, you are by your own hand putting faith in the theory, something that no evolutionist dares admit to. Simply put, if all we have is statement that say "This leads to that" but no way to prove that, then there is no need to claim evolution is immutable fact, which you are doing, yet at the same time admitting indirectly there is no evidence for those assertions with the "mechanism for evolution is not known".

Originally posted by Arvestaked Between vestigial structures, the increasing complexity of genetics, and the fact that fossils of all species cannot be found from any given period is enough to feel that evolution is something that exists.
    So whether or not it was proven that one fossil led to another, it is something that you "feel" to be true so therefore it must be so. All we have are some fossils that appear out of no where, and the die out all of a sudden. This is why evolution was in an embarrasing area prior to punctuated equilibria for the long contended notion of the intermediate forms was lacking and the embarrasments that mainstream evolutionists went through to provide missing links, from gemmules to bathybius, to Nebraska Man, were sad attempts to give examples of intermediate forms. To compensate for that we have Gould and Eldridge using the powers of human imagination to try to alleviate this problem and patch up the holes. Now we don't need intermediates for the jump from one species to another is a drastic, rapid jump, therefore eliminating the notion of any intermediate forms. Fossils are fossils, they exist whether one is a creationist or an evolutionist. I myself have a hard time trying to conjure how some random mutations would be enough to produce a whole new species, since we see in our everyday lives examples of mutations and their harm on the organism. Thus the numbers I highlighted in the human body are anything but the result of randomness, for they are all multiples of 11. That our DNA is our blueprint containing our specific information, and all the nucleotides are arranged in a specific order, and when that is violated we have harmful effects, is to any thinking mind automatically a sign that randomness is out of the question, for that exhibits purpose.

Originally posted by Arvestaked Just because we do not know why does not mean it is wrong. There were many things just 100 years ago that were not unknown and attributed to God that are now answered and obvious. The only reason that people feel the need to attribute the origin of species to God is because they are used to the idea and put the pressure on themselves to prove he exists (and by prove I mean point out what science yet has not). If the idea of God was never invented by man, the lack of evidence for the mechanism by which evolution occurs would not have brought it about. Some feel the need to be faithful when it comes to Darwinism and neo-Darwinism. However, them aside, remember, technology works, so do not judge science as a whole because of a certain few. The ones that argue against the said mechanisms claim that adherence to either of those theories is unscientific.
    I should add that, I am not here to indict science, for I believe it is an integral part of the human species, for it deals with how things react and behave in our natural world, which we are a part of. When science attempts to step into a different realm, not of the material world, and tries to answer questions, then I will say science is going overboard, since we already have other forms of thought to deal with what is unknown and the paranormal or the superstitious. Perhaps evolution is indeed responsible for the changes that occured, meaning there is no purpose and it was randomness all along, but I will be waiting for the evidence that led one species to jump to another. Perhaps it is the hand of God stepping in to make these changes possible, answering the improbable, why certain things may seem improbable mathematically, but logically apparent ( that we see a progression in the fossil record ); that maybe because of God these improbabilities are moot since some force may have intervened and caused these changes. Perhaps it was God all along. Of course everyone is entitled to their personal view here, based on your own arbitrary experiences and worldviews.

Even within the evolutionary community there are disagreements and bickering. I believe that most scientists have deviated far from their stated aims and have gotten bogged down way too much with the evolution vs creationist debate, and that can have harmful effects on the scientific academia, and it has in fact led to the intolerance towards any scientist who might question the dogma that evolution is responsible for where we are now.
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Arvestaked No they do not. Evolution is an explanation of why genetics seems to be getting progressively complex, why we have vestigial structures, and why we do not have fossils of all species from all time periods. Mutation and natural selection were proposed explanations of the mechanism by which it occurs. It most likely has another cause we do not understand yet. I can understand if you want to advocate creationism, but at least understand the relationship between those concepts.
      For a long time, evolutionists were so caught up in their theory that it is believed that random mutations and natural selection go hand in hand with evolution. Indeed, in my physical anthropology class, it wasn't even a question of if, it simply was. So if random mutations are mathematically improbable, then it is safe to say, that there is no point in clinging to that as a mechanism for evolution. That to me seems to have been one of the pedestals of evolutionary thought and the backbone of it, and even now it still is. That one day it was hand in hand with evolution, now evolutionists can point to it as a means of escape citing that, "it was only one reason of trying to explain the mechanism that led to change", whereas when I read Darwin he is more certain of that, then a priest preaching the Bible. What is the other alternative to mutation? How else would something evolve? How else is anything to have supposed to have evolved? The only other option is creation, in my opinion, unless something more valid within the realm of mathematical probability is proposed.

I haven't advocated anything yet, I am simply trying to understand evolution and indeed discuss it with those who subscribe to it, because I believe that I have not seen enough evidence, as any scientific person would require, to give evolutionary theory a label of infallibility and having answered what it set out to answer. In this instance, one can make a good case against God and Bible, but since those deal with the realm of faith, and evolution is supposed to be about science, not about faith, that is my point of contention.
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

ANY THEISM is religion ,so is aTHEISM..and i refer that not to science but evolution....
        I'm a monstrous mass of vile, foul & corrupted matter.

Comment

Originally posted by sleuth ANY THEISM is religion ,so is aTHEISM..and i refer that not to science but evolution....
          You are aware that the prefix a- is a negation, are you not? Atheism is the negation of theism; it is not itself a theism. Just as someone who is atypical is not typical.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname You are aware that the prefix a- is a negation, are you not? Atheism is the negation of theism; it is not itself a theism. Just as someone who is atypical is not typical.
            It may claim it is not a theism, yet its adherents are no different than bible thumpers in their adamance.
            Achkerov kute.

Comment

Really? Atheists are out burning crosses and crashing planes into buildings to glorify their object of worship?

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname Really? Atheists are out burning crosses and crashing planes into buildings to glorify their object of worship?
                Where did I say that? Being bullheaded in that your convictions are right is no different than a bible thumper asserting the same thing.

Thus when I see Atheist clubs and brochures handed out on my school campus to come join the Atheism society or whatever it is, one can make an argument that they themselves are organized like a traditional religious group is.

How many times have evolutionists tried to insist that their dogma is not based on faith, and how many times have atheists tried to prove that they are not a "religion". Well, one can engage in wishful thinking, but from an outside birds eye view, things seem different to the unphased mind.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

Yes, those groups are acting religious. It is not their atheism that defines their actions as religious; it is their grouping and recruiting efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname Yes, those groups are acting religious. It is not their atheism that defines their actions as religious; it is their grouping and recruiting efforts.
                    Aha, bravo, now you have touched on something very importante. So if I believe in God, and I am a Christian, yet I do not adhere to Churchianity, can I be religous?

You do realize that we can apply this argument to the State and mass democracy as well, do you not?
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Of course you can follow the teachings of Christ and believe he is the son of the one true God without being religious. Did I ever say otherwise?

Comment

Working...
                      X