Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Eyes Wide Shut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dusken
    I agree with you in that they may not be worse off and that they are living how they want to live. I have expressed my opinion on that already.

I do not agree with the presentation of this Rothbard's words. If you take those words just as they are, it suggests that, if someone is impressed with an ultimatum, they desire to chose which ever they chose. There is a difference between something being in someone's interest and it being in someone's best interest. There is also a difference between doing what you want and doing what you feel is right. It is not so black and white. It does not account for not wanting to have to make the choice.
    It is not about what you feel is in the best interest or what you think is right. Human action is not concerned with the why's or the hows. The only thing that it is concerned with is the praxaeological laws that the human acts, and is a rational creature. Based on his actions he displays a preference for that choice, otherwise he would act different for another choice. That women in Armenia choose to get married, shows preference of that by the actors. Praxaeology does not concern itself with the whys or hows. It only starts from the axiom that man acts. That is all.
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
      It is not about what you feel is in the best interest or what you think is right. Human action is not concerned with the why's or the hows. The only thing that it is concerned with is the praxaeological laws that the human acts, and is a rational creature. Based on his actions he displays a preference for that choice, otherwise he would act different for another choice. That women in Armenia choose to get married, shows preference of that by the actors. Praxaeology does not concern itself with the whys or hows. It only starts from the axiom that man acts. That is all.

Human action should be concerned with whys and hows. You can throw out "praxaeology" as much as you like but the idea of cause and effect is not only more steadfast, it is more practical. Also, you isolated only one thing from my post and that is "what you feel is in the best interest or what you think is right." Making judgments about practical but general issues using only the individual decisions does not make sense. Like I said, it does not account for the desire of not wanting to have to make a choice.

Comment

Human action should be concerned with whys and hows. You can throw out "praxaeology" as much as you like but the idea of cause and effect is not only more steadfast, it is more practical. Also, you isolated only one thing from my post and that is "what you feel is in the best interest or what you think is right." Making judgments about practical but general issues using only the individual decisions does not make sense. Like I said, it does not account for the desire of not wanting to have to make a choice.
        Apparently you do not know what praxaeology is. It is the study of human action. It does not concern itself with the whys or hows, since we can guess all we want. That is in the realm of psychology, etc. There are many disagreements as to why or how man acts, but the only axiom that is true is that man acts. To somehow disprove that, you must show that man does not act. This is the whole base of economics, of time preference, etc. If you don't like it fine, but at least do not confound praxaeology with psychology. I suggest you read the essay by Rothbard on Mantle of Science.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
          Apparently you do not know what praxaeology is. It is the study of human action. It does not concern itself with the whys or hows, since we can guess all we want. That is in the realm of psychology, etc. There are many disagreements as to why or how man acts, but the only axiom that is true is that man acts. To somehow disprove that, you must show that man does not act. This is the whole base of economics, of time preference, etc. If you don't like it fine, but at least do not confound praxaeology with psychology. I suggest you read the essay by Rothbard on Mantle of Science.
          If you at anytime felt that I said man does not act you are as dumb as you shown yourself to be in the past. Please, continue to make nonsensical connections and continue to bring home words from your day at college and constantly post how nobody knows what it means to make yourself feel better. Really, it is good for you. One should whacksturbate at least twice a day.
          Last edited by dusken; 06-03-2004, 11:59 AM.

Comment

If you at anytime felt that I said man does not act you are as dumb as you shown yourself to be in the past. Please, continue to make nonsensical connections and continue to bring home words from your day at college and constantly post how nobody knows what it means to make yourself feel better. Really, it is good for you. One should xxxxxxxxxx at least twice a day.
            Well, what else can one expect from the Dusken other than idiocy? I rest my case.
            Achkerov kute.

Comment

You can expect comments that make sense. The idiocy, lack of sense, misinterpretation, etc. is your job.

Comment

You can expect comments that make sense. The idiocy, lack of sense, misinterpretation, etc. is your job.
                Oh wow, that was so piercing. You display your magnificent skills of perceptive insights.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

I am sorry, perhaps some of you haven't noticed....this thread is NOT about dusken and Anonymouse. Lets terminated the rooster fight.

Comment

Oh gee, apologies your Moderatorfullness.
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Dants
                      Well, I think we have now reached the point where everything's exaggerated. Armenia is not what you make it out to be, and America and the "Western world" which we sooooo strive Armenia to be in is not what you made it out to be either. You brought one example, I'll bring another. A girl I volunteered with in Armenia is 21 years old, is graduating this year from the faculty of theology, and is not even thinking about marriage. Or will we just single her out as an exception because she doesn't fit in with your exception? A lot of it has to do with families. You always bring up stories about "backward" Armenians in your end of the world, and I found no similarities between them, and the Armenians in my end of the world.

The hores of the rich people which you pointed out, anileve, are not part of what people in Armenia believe "real" values are. They're values of the "nouveau riche", which was of course brought on by the great Americans' pressures to switch to capitalism ASAP. Yes, I am well aware that the Americans only did so to encourage Armenians to be truly FREE, as that is what Americans always do... The difference between the hores of the rich in Armenia and the hores of the rich in America is very obvious. It is not that, in America, they are ethically more developped and the rich refuse to do such things. I'm sorry to reveal this, but Americans also have their flaws. It has more to do with Armenia being such a small country, that everyone in Yerevan knows everyone else, and keeping secrets is just much harder.

Other than that, there are many social problems in Armenia, which there is no use disagreeing with. Education about STDs, protection, yevayln, is still lacking, though I've read of a few organizations who are making strides in that direction. I'd rather go and work with them though, than sit here and you know, b!tch and complain about it like everybody else does.
                      I dont by any means want Armenia to become a 2nd version of America..but I also dont think it should stay the way it is now, in terms of education. The case you pointed out is very rare, especially in areas outside Yerevan...there are still those young woman who live outside the big city who have never received a decent education, one that includes a college education. I am almost certain that if my family still lived in Armenia today my older sisters would probably already be married with 2 kids and I would be "prepared" for marriage. None of us would've had a college education and we would never even fathome the idea that we could possibly have a voice that is louder than our own husbands.

Comment

Working...
                      X