Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Eyes Wide Shut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armenian Eyes Wide Shut

I love this country! Yes you read it right, I love the US. And my recent conversation with a few of my friends assured me of it even more so.

It's absolutely true that you don't appreciate what you have until you see the other side. I had a conversation with two of my friends who recently went to Hayastan. All of us came to the US at approximately the same age. I haven't gone back, but they went a few times, their last visit was a serious eye opener.

Aside from our regular discussion about the politics of the country and it's evolution we touched upon a different subject: “values”. I need to mention their ages as well and a brief background. One of the women is 23 years old, an extremely intelligent, attractive, talented and academically “superior” Phd student. Yes, at the age of 23 she is starting her PhD program. Second one is an equally attractive, intelligent and an extremely funny 26 year old. Both of them have incorporated the westernized views into their Armenian life. So it was interesting to hear their perspective.

They mentioned that the change is visible but essentially the old school mentality is very noticeable and somewhat oppressing, if not depressing. Apparently the main point of life is still to get married. People get married at a very young age, because after 21 everyone starts looking at you cross eyed and the pressure starts pouring from every direction. People have no understanding of personal exploration or higher goals. After one gets or "buys" their diploma it is time to tie the knot. Women who are stretching their single status are frowned upon, and explaining to others that there is such thing as a career and higher education is like teaching them Chinese. My friend was extremely frustrated, when she was trying to explain that she wanted to get her PhD and move out and travel a bit before she thinks about settling down. Her relatives were clueless of such lifestyle and kept on trying to introduce her to nice guys because it was time for her to fertilize her virgin soil. “Yes, but when are you going to get married?” was the question that consistently came up as she was explaining the structure of the American educational system. The women they went out with were constantly talking about finding a husband, and walked around like vaulters looking for a “rich” prey. Although they tried to appear liberal in front of my New York friends, their mentality was transparent.

What was even more shocking is what I heard next. Adultery.... Yes, adultery that became almost synonymous with success and prestige, not to even mention socially acceptable. Almost all of the rich men of the country had a few mistresses, the more you have the more distinguished you are. It is so terrible, that these mistresses are well known in Yerevan, recognizable by their extraordinary cars that they drive, expensive jewelry they wear and their latest fashion not even New Yorkers can afford. Police doesn't even stop some of those women when they brake the rules, because they know whom they “belong” to. The families (wifes) are well aware of such “phenomenon” and turn their blind eye, because once again it's socially acceptable. All of this made my blood rush to my temples as I developed a feverish seizures, sprung from my anger and disgust.

And last but not least, was a story of a young woman they met, a family friend. The girl was only 24 years old but looked like she was 35. “Why?” I asked. Well apparently because she's been trying so hard to get pregnant and her body was rejecting the “possibility”. So she turned to hormones; injecting herself on daily bases for a year, she looked tired was severely depressed. After talking some time to her, my friend asked why she puts herself through this torture if she can simply adopt. HA!!!!! Well you can imagine how insane her suggestion seemed to a girl who responded that her family (her husband, her parents and his parents) want a child. THEY WANT A CHILD!!!!! She couldn't imagine her life as an individual just some sort of a speckle of this BIG unit of important people who make the decisions for her and somehow are comfortable with watching her suffer. That is all of course because “God forbid, what will the people say if you can't have kids. They will think that you are a damaged material and we will be the laughing stock forever.” Phucking morons, living in their idiotic boxes of socially warped standards of what they think "real" values are.

In conclusion, I have to say that listening to those stories was like a revelation for me. I've heard similar tales from many women in my parent's generation, and honestly thought that things evolved. But dammit people don't change, some people remain slaves to their cultures and their stone age mentality. My close friend living in Yerevan confirmed such occurrences as a sad truth of their life, “we still have a lot to learn as a nation and as people”. Shyt, I've always considered myself a fast learner, and such microscopic process is something I am glad not be a part of. I love this country and the countless possibilities and opportunities which are available to chose from, where I can develop my own standards and progress as an individual rather than some insignificant and faceless particle of a larger picture with engraved and warped rules.
    Last edited by anileve; 05-29-2004, 04:46 PM.

I decided not place this thread in the "Love and Romance" section, because I don't find anything romantic or amorous about this subject.

Comment

Sad, isn't it? .

Comment

Not to bring up the other thread, but a lot of what is being witnessed in your post is further evidence to what I was trying to explain in the "what do men want" thread. And the reason most don't progress beyond their programming is because they don't realize they're in the matrix. They don't realize their prison because they were born into it. How would they know any better? "Have you ever had a dream that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world, and the "real" world?"

Having said that, I ask you this: Do we honestly have more freedoms, or does it merely appear that way compared to some others? Just as those other nations don't realize the possibilities we are offered because of their obscured mental confinement, how do you know further possibilities are not being concealed from us? For example, intelligence aside, why is your friend shooting for a PhD? Sure, maybe she wants to help people, and yada yada yada, but I'm going to venture out and say pay has a lot to do with it, too. Money is a HUGE downfall to this nation. Of course it's important all over the world, but I think the US led the capitalist revolution, and greed beyond the wildest imagination. I'm sure there are nations out there laughing their asses off at us feeding the machine. "Advertising has us working jobs we hate, to buy shiit we don't need". Chasing "the American dream" is as despicable as thinking life revolves around marriage, yet we don't think of it that way because in this our countries veil.

The layers that make up our programing are dense, making it nearly impossible to decipher all the codes. We have to learn how to reach a state where we can be within the matrix while being aware of its existence. It's a never ending battle/process. Simply put, question everything, including your own motives for every aspect of life, and more importantly, how you came to those motives.

Comment

Wow thats soooo sad!!! Now I know why some men go alll the way there to get married.

Comment

I agree with u Crimson Glow..

Armenia is certainly in a bad state and its really horrible to read what youve written Anileve.
            Though I never heard about the "mistresses" and that tragic girl, I understood that the situation was very critical, as I went to armenia a some 2 -3 years ago.
            They were asking me as well, all the old ladies , dont you want to get married soon? most of all people were trying to get out of the country ,so they were trying to "trick me"!

One wich i only realized afterwards. He was hidining it very well...though he didin't go all the way and asking me directly, just asked me a couple of things , though I didin't undetstood it till a long time after, that certainly it was because he wanted to come to my country,
            And he was seen as quite "respectable", wich he was to some extent.

its getting worse every day in armenia. At least when it comes to the social bit, and socaity in general.
            They may built some nice apartments , and some people even get richer, but overall, its getting worse.
            Besides, countries like USA, live on countries like armenia.

What if we had oil?
            What if our country was iraq?
            What would you say then, taht usa is a great country, and iraq is poor, hedamnats?
            Well guess what, its because of the USA they remain hedamnats, its beacause the usa lives on other people in the third world.

They have always done that.
            they destory hole iraq, baghdad, 'how do you expect the country to
            develope, when the hole country is sold out to the american forces, and they're sucking out the oil.

America economically finances Azerbadjian and turkey, and Israel, all of them which works agains armenia. Turkeys econimical blockade agains Armenia is devastating for the countries economy.

Right in the heart of Europe, the USA bombed Yugoslvia/Serbia back to the Middle ages.
            Last edited by Tres Bien; 05-30-2004, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Crimson Glow:

Money is an important thing in any developed area, but assuming someone is getting a PhD for the sake of money is absurd. To say that most people who strive to be very knowledgeable of a subject are motivated most significantly by the possible monetary rewards is unfair. I believe it takes more passion than you give them credit for for going so far.

Also, as much as this country pisses me off, all those other countries that are in the habit of laughing at the it are dependant on it. The youth of all of those countries listen to the music that is produced here. They watch the movies produced here. The use technology made here. They rely on scientific advancements that are done here. They wear the clothes of American companies. The entire world is in someway dependant on the United States and for a country to get to that point in just eighty or ninety years and still maintain it is something to be respected.

Comment

Makbar amerika!

Comment

Originally posted by dusken
                  Crimson Glow:

Money is an important thing in any developed area, but assuming someone is getting a PhD for the sake of money is absurd. To say that most people who strive to be very knowledgeable of a subject are motivated most significantly by the possible monetary rewards is unfair. I believe it takes more passion than you give them credit for for going so far.

Also, as much as this country pisses me off, all those other countries that are in the habit of laughing at the it are dependant on it. The youth of all of those countries listen to the music that is produced here. They watch the movies produced here. The use technology made here. They rely on scientific advancements that are done here. They wear the clothes of American companies. The entire world is in someway dependant on the United States and for a country to get to that point in just eighty or ninety years and still maintain it is something to be respected.
                  That is your most beautiful post by far! I cannot stress enough how unequivocally I agree with you. And just for one moment, for one microscopic moment, I have this terrible impulse to give you a smashing hug. Simply brilliant!

As for everyone else, this is not sad, it's terribly pathetic! Basing your entire existence on only thing is not healthy all together; be it marriage or a PhD. But what's worse is the illusion of a supposed happiness and the distorted morals which people often fooled into.

Comment

Someone from Armenia came to America and was shocked at the amount of breakdown this country shows due to people chasing money, careers, PhD's, and even when they do try to get married they are too busy worried about their self-gratification and hedonism, to worry about someone else. Do you not think there are people here who are desperate to get married and appear on silly shows like Ricky Lake or what have you and want to have babies? Or, that politicians here do not have their hores when they make business trips? Come on, using examples such as that girl who used hormones, or those women who are like the hores of the politicians, to make them fit in this broad generalization that characterizes Armenian society "backwards" for not being "Western enough" ( whatever that means ), is silly to me, and lo and behold, marriage, family, children are equivalent to suffering. While no one disagrees with the sad state of affairs in that country, that hardly merits trying to label it as "bad".
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Working...
                    X