Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes / comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: notes / comments

Monday, March 05, 2007
    FROM MY DIARY
    For two years a best seller in the Arab world, the YACOUBIAN BUILDING by Alaa Al Aswany is now available in English. In a glowing review of this novel in the SPECTATOR I read that the building of the title is named after Hagop Yacoubian, “an Egyptian millionaire and doyen of Cairo’s Armenian community.” The building itself is described as “a ten-storey block of apartments in Suleiman Basha Street.” I would like to hear from anyone who may know more about this fellow countryman.
    To policeman, lawyers, and judges, the word murder does not have the same meaning as it does to the victims’ family. Something similar could be said of our Turcocentric pundits and the word genocide. In their writing the word is depersonalized and despoiled of its original meaning. It is almost as if our pundits were collaborating with denialists by minimizing the seriousness of the charge.
    To be effectively brainwashed means to be totally unaware of the fact.
    Paul Valéry: “A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.” I think of Gertrude Stein in her old age looking like Picasso’s portrait of her in her younger days; and of Marlon Brando studying Renaissance paintings for expressions and body postures.
    Victor Hugo: “Some people have libraries the way eunuchs have harems.”
    #

Comment

Tuesday, March 06, 2007
      BETTE’S COMPLAINT,
      AMONG OTHER THINGS
      When two readers insulted me, a third moved in for the kill by saying: “If one man calls you an ass, you may ignore him. But if two men call you an ass, buy a saddle.” And I couldn’t help thinking: Behold a self-satisfied ass and compulsive liar who pretends to enjoy universal popularity just because his mother loves him.
      A good slogan that speaks to the gut is a hundred times more effective that a thousand irrefutable arguments that speak to the brain.
      One of Philip Larkin’s lines reads, “groping back to bed after a piss.” Now, that’s what I call real poetry. As for “the eternal snows of Mount Ararat,” Turks can have it.
      In the same way that bad things happen to good people, bad people happen to good ideas. The nobler the idea or ideology or belief system, the more repulsive perverts it will attract – from Christianity and the Inquisition to Marxism and Stalin.
      Denis Diderot: “You may ask me to search for the truth, but not to find it.”
      Bette Davis in her old age as quoted in Penelope Mortimer’s memoirs: “I haven’t had a f*** in ten years.”
      #

Comment

Wednesday, March 07, 2007
        ON ARMENIAN SELF-ESTEEM,
        AMONG OTHER THINGS
        If he is a loudmouth imbecile and enjoys throwing his weight around, he must be an Armenian. Please note that I am talking about myself now, or rather, the way I am perceived by some of my readers who invariably ascribe my failings to my identity as an Armenian. The implication being, had I been a Patagonian or Hottentot, I would have none of these defects. So much for Armenian self-esteem…
        I once met a patriotic Armenian whose only source of wisdom was popular Turkish sayings. Which reminds me of Zarian’s observation, “even their filth is picked up from alien gutters.”
        In an undemocratic or pseudo-democratic state or community, the people are like fish in a tank: they think they are free because they can’t see the walls. Freedom, real freedom, is not to do this, that, or the other. Freedom means participation in power.
        Balzac: “There are two kinds of fools: speaking fools, and silent fools. The silent are more tolerable.”
        George Braque: “Truth exists. One can invent only lies.”

Comment

yesterday I met a man who condemned religion, politics and technology. He explained religion was a tool of politics, something that has no care for the people, and that technology is what it uses to kill us and hold our prospects of health in their hands.

This is undeniable, but then I asked him... "What do we do?", and his answer was, "I'm just a crazy man..." (he mentioned that everyone calls him crazy because he actually tries to use his right to free speech).

So now I ask you, is there an answer? Is there something to do other than to know what's dividing and killing us?

I assume the answer lies in ourselves, but so many of us will never find it in our lifetime because we're either brainwashed, so thoroughly repressed or devoid of the health necessary to make changes. It's a terrible condition that perpetuates our suffering on Earth. It seems in the end we never learn our lesson, and you emphasize that this is especially so with Armenians, because we're so ready to defend our religion and whatever else we like to believe makes us wonderfully unique from the rest of the world.

So in reality, you're dealing with the dark nature of human beings, and you like to discuss Armenians because they are probably an invaluable resource in discussing such a thing.

I guess I'm just trying to understand what you're doing, using whatever applicable perspective I can manage to conjure up.

Comment

Hey Ara, do you have any idea why Armenia's Indymedia isn't working?

Comment

Thursday, March 08, 2007
              SELF-DECEPTION
              A jury of his peers has found Vice-President xxxx Cheney’s former chief of staff guilty of lying to the authorities. Nothing new in that. Vice presidents lie, presidents lie, the press lies, everybody lies. We deceive not only others but also ourselves. All power (political as well as religious) is based on a big lie. Nothing can be more naďve than to divide mankind into two and say, “Their side lies, ours does not.”
              We all have a dominant idea that colors and orients our thinking. Mine is self-deception – or the infinite strategies we adopt in order to appear better than we are. The big lie in political leadership is that the men at the top know better what’s good for the people; and when they declare war and lose it, they blame it on others. Hitler blamed the loss of World War I on xxxs, and the loss of World War II on his fellow Germans, because, he said, they had failed to live up to his vision. To this day Stalinists blame the collapse of the Soviet Union on dissidents like Solzhenitsyn. And we blame our genocide on the barbarism of the Turks, most of whom (very much like Sultan Abdulhamid II and Talaat) may have been part Armenian.
              In everything that is said, a great deal remains unsaid.
              A good answer is one that leads to at least two new questions.
              Alain: “To think is to say no.” (It follows; to say yes is to allow others to do your thinking for you.)
              Julien Green: “The oppressed console themselves by believing to be morally superior to their oppressors.”
              Henry de Montherlant: “In man, it is the butterfly that turns into a worm.”
              #

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3
                yesterday I met a man who condemned religion, politics and technology. He explained religion was a tool of politics, something that has no care for the people, and that technology is what it uses to kill us and hold our prospects of health in their hands.

This is undeniable, but then I asked him... "What do we do?", and his answer was, "I'm just a crazy man..." (he mentioned that everyone calls him crazy because he actually tries to use his right to free speech).

So now I ask you, is there an answer? Is there something to do other than to know what's dividing and killing us?

I assume the answer lies in ourselves, but so many of us will never find it in our lifetime because we're either brainwashed, so thoroughly repressed or devoid of the health necessary to make changes. It's a terrible condition that perpetuates our suffering on Earth. It seems in the end we never learn our lesson, and you emphasize that this is especially so with Armenians, because we're so ready to defend our religion and whatever else we like to believe makes us wonderfully unique from the rest of the world.

So in reality, you're dealing with the dark nature of human beings, and you like to discuss Armenians because they are probably an invaluable resource in discussing such a thing.

I guess I'm just trying to understand what you're doing, using whatever applicable perspective I can manage to conjure up.

what i am doing is sharing my understanding.
                you may do what you wish with it.
                i don't have instant solutions to our problems.
                no one does.
                not even messiahs (assuming there are any).

Comment

Originally posted by Կարմիր Բ
                  Hey Ara, do you have any idea why Armenia's Indymedia isn't working?
                  i plead nolo.
                  i don't even know what Indymedia is, sorry.

Comment

Friday, March 09, 2007
                    VARIATIONS ON A FAMILIAR THEME
                    James Thurber: “You can fool too many of the people too much of the time.”
                    Jean Cocteau: “There is an ape and a parrot in all of us.”
                    A headline in our paper today reads: “Japan denies its wartime atrocities.” Sounds familiar?
                    In the article that follows we are informed that during World War II, Korean and Chinese girls as young as 14 were kidnapped by Japanese soldiers to work as sex slaves or “comfort women.”
                    Rings a bell?
                    My mother is fond of saying, “Even if guilt were made of the most expensive fur, no one would want to wear it.”
                    Control the flow of information and you control knowledge. Control knowledge and you shape the human mind. Where there is censorship there will be dupes.
                    In a totalitarian state people have as much freedom of thought as caged animals in a zoo, with one difference: the animals can see their iron bars.
                    The less you know, the more easily you are hoodwinked, flimflammed, and bamboozled. The ideal dupe is a total ignoramus.
                    #

Comment

Saturday, March 10, 2007
                      BENEFACTORS
                      If I understand them correctly, they are the kind of people who feel more at home in the company of calculating machines and number rather than human beings and ideas.
                      AS FOR BOSSES
                      Given the choice between yes-men or conformists and people who think for themselves, they will invariably choose conformists. The ability to conform is a talent, like any other, and I don’t mind admitting, I have none of it.
                      TURKS AND ARMENIANS
                      “Armenians and Turks, Turks and Armenians,” I can imagine some readers thinking. “Man, am I getting tired of that sh**!” to which I can only say, “Welcome to the club.”
                      A NEW BOOK
                      IRENE NEMIROVSKY: HER LIFE AND WORK, by Jonathan Weiss (200 pages, Stanford University Press, 2007). An excellent biography of a remarkable French writer of xxxish descent who ended her short life in a German concentration camp during World War II. We are informed here that she disliked both xxxs and Armenians: a writer after my own heart, not because I love haters but because I find self-satisfied people arrogant, obnoxious, stupid, and unworthy of Planet Earth.
                      PEARLS BEFORE SWINE
                      Jean Giroudoux: “Plagiarism is at the root of all literatures, except the first which is unknown.”
                      Henri Michaux: “Anyone who does not contribute to my perfection: zero.”
                      #

Comment

Working...
                      X