Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes / comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: notes / comments

"Armenians who love to quote Saroyan’s pro-Armenian statements should be reminded that he also said he felt sorry for the Turks; and when Armenians adopted Palestinians as their role models and engaged in acts of terrorism and assassination, he (Saroyan) was at a loss and could not understand why his fellow Armenians behaved that way. Perhaps one reason Saroyan loved Armenians, or so he said, was that he neither knew nor understood them completely."

This is a one-hundred percent true statement. But, then again, naivete or ignorance is a writer's fuel.
    Between childhood, boyhood,
    adolescence
    & manhood (maturity) there
    should be sharp lines drawn w/
    Tests, deaths, feats, rites
    stories, songs & judgements

- Morrison, Jim. Wilderness, vol. 1, p. 22

Comment

I would've been at a loss too if I was alive and old enough to comprehend what happened when that bunch of Armenians committed those acts of terrorism. One thing to consider though is that we didn't even have a nation yet, and my intuition tells me, based on what I've seen, that any ethnic group without a nation are prone to, from time to time, have amongst their ranks an activist/militant group that take it out of innocent citizens of nations they believe to be their enemy. Look at ETA, and even close to home (for me), even the FLQ got blood on their hands in 1970, triggering the October crisis.

I think this tells us more about human society and how some members of any society that seeks self-determination, self rule, will resort to violence against those they believe to be their aggressors, who continue to block their aforementioned interests. I don't support these tactics though because they deny human rights to innocent civilians. In certain circumstances though, it's the only way to get the enemy to negotiate with you, however, it might've made more sense if we weren't the ones who provoked the conflict then and there.
      Last edited by jgk3; 04-29-2008, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Terrorism is purely political. To look at it in any other context is to misrepresent it. But why single out groups that do it (be it Muslims, or the IRA, or even Armenians), when states (i.e., governments of all kinds) routinely engage in terrorism in the name of peace, prosperity and the greater good of the nation, couching it in language of "foreign policy" or even the irony of ironies, "combating terrorism" or a "war on terror."

Why does Mr. Baliozian fail to condemn the existence of governments, which ipso facto are based on the rule of violence, coercion and terror? Why describe it as simply a group phenomenon?

If we are serious about condemning terrorism, we should condemn the biggest terrorist, government itself (any government), because these localized terrorist phenomenon (muslim, Tamil Tigers in India, IRA, Armenians, etc.) are all reactions and effects of state terrorism.

Well Mr. Baliozian?
        Last edited by Anonymouse; 04-29-2008, 07:58 PM.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post
          ... and when Armenians adopted Palestinians as their role models and engaged in acts of terrorism and assassination, he (Saroyan) was at a loss and could not understand why his fellow Armenians behaved that way.
          I beleive you or Mr Saroyan were or are confusing Palestians with Israelis.

There are even movies glorifing one's "terrorism".

"La raison du plus fort est toujours la meilleure".

Comment

Azad, there was no Israel until 1948. Between 1920 and 1948, the territory from which Israel carved was known as the British Mandate of Palestine. Even the link you cite refers to Palestine.

Now, if you want to go back and understand wherefrom the guerilla warfare practiced by the likes of the PLO, etc. originates from, get your hands on a copy of the Italian classic - the Battle of Algiers. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058946/plotsummary

Anonymouse, you should appreciate this as it looks at this historical freedom fight from the view of state sponsored terrorism and that of guerrilla warfare.

And, certainly, Saroyan was alive and kicking strong when the PLO acted in violent resistance against what they considered the unlawful Israeli occupation.
            Last edited by freakyfreaky; 04-29-2008, 10:30 PM.
            adolescence

Comment

Originally posted by freakyfreaky View Post
              Azad, there was no Israel until 1948. Between 1920 and 1948, the territory from which Israel carved was known as the British Mandate of Palestine. Even the link you cite refers to Palestine.

Now, if you want to go back and understand wherefrom the guerilla warfare practiced by the likes of the PLO, etc. originates from, get your hands on a copy of the Italian classic - the Battle of Algiers. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058946/plotsummary

Freaky I am very familiar with "1948" and the headache it brought to the rest of the world, not to mention one of the main reasons of our Genocide with their first attempt of creating the same joow hole during WWI .... now I don't understand your 1962 Algerian independence from the DeGaulist era that was almost 20 years later. Irrelevant ... I was trying to convey the injustice we are associated with is with the loosing entity and not the "winning" one.

Comment

Whoop... I guess that one went right over your head then, Azad. There were no Israelis during the timeline that you presented. You need to read jgk3's post above. Basically, there are bad apples in every basket. The PLO's activities in the 70s and 80s preceded and overlapped some of the notorious events that I believe Mr. Baliozian was referring to which Mr. Saroyan was likely present to perceive.

"In the late 70s and early 80s, the Armenian liberation army (ASALA) assassinated Turkish diplomats to focus media attention on the Armenian genocide. In July 1983, a Turkish diplomat was killed in Brussels. In Paris, six people died and 48 were wounded when a bomb exploded in front of the Turkish Airlines' check-in desk at Orly airport. ASALA killed 39 diplomats in a decade. Many of the gunmen were trained in Libya and had Palestinian connections. The Armenians have, at different times, identified with both Palestinians and J-ews." http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardia...kend7.weekend2

In conclusion, Mr. Baliozian may be biased but I doubt he is confused.
                adolescence

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse View Post
                  Terrorism is purely political. To look at it in any other context is to misrepresent it. But why single out groups that do it (be it Muslims, or the IRA, or even Armenians), when states (i.e., governments of all kinds) routinely engage in terrorism in the name of peace, prosperity and the greater good of the nation, couching it in language of "foreign policy" or even the irony of ironies, "combating terrorism" or a "war on terror."

Why does Mr. Baliozian fail to condemn the existence of governments, which ipso facto are based on the rule of violence, coercion and terror? Why describe it as simply a group phenomenon?

If we are serious about condemning terrorism, we should condemn the biggest terrorist, government itself (any government), because these localized terrorist phenomenon (muslim, Tamil Tigers in India, IRA, Armenians, etc.) are all reactions and effects of state terrorism.

Well Mr. Baliozian?
                  good point... I understand this phenomenon better now after reading this.

Comment

Originally posted by freakyfreaky View Post
                    Whoop... I guess that one went right over your head then, Azad. There were no Israelis during the timeline that you presented. You need to read jgk3's post above. Basically, there are bad apples in every basket. The PLO's activities in the 70s and 80s preceded and overlapped some of the notorious events that I believe Mr. Baliozian was referring to which Mr. Saroyan was likely present to perceive.
                    Let us see how you will handle this one.

I am sure you heard of the "Manouchian group" ... mainly a Joowish group let by ONE Armenian. In your view were they terrorists? or just like the movie "Munich" the terrorist are glorified as the "revenge squad" doing good in these particular scenarios since the equation was around Joowish victimhood.

In the views of Mr. Saroyan or ara's speculation Mr. Tehlirian was a terrorist too. He should have just shoved it all in and moved on in life, well unless if he was a Joo the world would have understood his pain and suffering.
                    Last edited by Azad; 04-30-2008, 06:07 AM.

Comment

There is a very fine line between freedom fighter and terrorist depending on politics, the players and the circumstances on the field. I don't think Manouchian was trying to draw attention to the German occupation of France. That fact was well known.

While the ideology of the group may have been unfavorable amongst his some of his countrymen, their purpose was to get people to leave their country.

Viva la resistance. Mind you, there were plenty of tribe members (not our tribe) in the resistance. You could appreciate how they would be encouraged to assist allied forces in toppling the Nazis. Or, maybe not.

On the corrolary, you may consider that after Ottoman Turkey suffered horribly in WWI and committed genocide on its own people, they were left to being reduced to the pages of history books and their people had to change their alphabet, vocabulary, language, names, etc. in an attempt to erase their past.

Tehlirian committed a crime of passion, his jurors forgave him.
                      Last edited by freakyfreaky; 04-30-2008, 08:49 AM.
                      adolescence

Comment

Working...
                      X