Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Pro: Agnosticism / Con: Atheism

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dusken
    Or maybe you can take your presumtions about people's happiness to a more appropriate forum.
    Perhaps you can be a bit more mature and add on to it, as opposed to the same nonsense you spew when confronted with something you disagree. In any event, you can call it a presumption, I beg to differ.
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
      Perhaps you can be a bit more mature and add on to it, as opposed to the same nonsense you spew when confronted with something you disagree. In any event, you can call it a presumption, I beg to differ.
      Mature? I do not want this thread to be another discussion about faith in religion. It is not the topic. Be more mature and accept the fact that you have nothing to say regarding this topic because it does not concern you. You always say I am spewing the same nonsense when, in fact, this is a very different thread. You are the one who is constantly trying to bring in your thoughts on faith into every conversation and are now trying to justify it by calling me immature.

Comment

Mature? I do not want this thread to be another discussion about faith in religion. It is not the topic. Be more mature and accept the fact that you have nothing to say regarding this topic because it does not concern you. You always say I am spewing the same nonsense when, in fact, this is a very different thread. You are the one who is constantly trying to bring in your thoughts on faith into every conversation and are now trying to justify it by calling me immature.
        Yes, you are being immature, and my point was that both atheism and agnosticism imply relativism, and furthermore, produce a breakdown in morality, because morality is hopelessly tied to religion, not atheism or agnosticism, since the latter two make up morality as they go along.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

Yes, you are being immature, and my point was that both atheism and agnosticism imply relativism, and furthermore, produce a breakdown in morality, because morality is hopelessly tied to religion, not atheism or agnosticism, since the latter two make up morality as they go along.
          This is unbelievable. This is about agnosticism versus atheism, not faith versus agnosticism and atheism. What about my actions to keep this thread on topic is immature? If you want to discuss faith, pull l.y.n. into the proper thread and have a blast.

Comment

This is unbelievable. This is about agnosticism versus atheism, not faith versus agnosticism and atheism. What about my actions to keep this thread on topic is immature? If you want to discuss faith, pull l.y.n. into the proper thread and have a blast.
            You view agnosticism and atheism as conflicting, I do not. That was merely the point. Are you uncomfortable with that?
            Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by anileve
              It's interesting but recently I realized that majority of people are fixated on keeping the terms pure, it really doesn't matter whether there is a broader meaning.
              Whether there is a broader meaning or not, it must be established explicitly rather than relying on implicit assumptions about our definitions. Otherwise, there will be nothing but chaos as nothing will mean anything specific anymore and everything will be subject to personal interpretation.
              this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Seapahn
                Whether there is a broader meaning or not, it must be established explicitly rather than relying on implicit assumptions about our definitions. Otherwise, there will be nothing but chaos as nothing will mean anything specific anymore and everything will be subject to personal interpretation.
                I tend to agree. Nicely said, btw.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

Dusken, your initial post and explaination of agnosticism is the very reason I love "The Matrix" so much (Yes, I'm bringing it up again, people....SHUT UP!). Whether the Warchowski brothers meant it this way or not, to me it is a metaphor for breaking away from the rules, labeling, defining, etc, wheather literal law, or refering to human behavior...a metaphor for the philosophy that anything is possible if you realize that all of the above are part of a program that has imprisoned every human mind since birth. And the system was established for the very reason anileve alluded to: People fear not having answers. They want to always be in the know. They set up social customs and structures, morals, values, norms, education systems, make scientific progress, and so on all for the sake of covering up the fact that we don't know jack about what we are, or why we are here. For everything that can't be defined or answered, there is god and religion. All the inexplicable are "acts of god".

I'm not going to get into the marriage thing again, but this whole people struggling to come up with concrete answers to live by is why lives and relationships are a meaningless mess right now. Everyone has to pick a mold or character to fit into, and progress down the checklist of things that follow the flow of "the truths". People's lives revolve around acting, but there's only so long anyone can put up an act. This constant dance around the outside shadows of one's true self is what leaves people's lives in disarray. The mass confusion in not understanding why "the answers" aren't working...it destroys your being and relationships. If you can't figure yourself out, how are you going to figure out what you want out of life, let alone another person? Just look at what people "want" or "need". How many of those things are actually personal desires as opposed to things that you feel others would expect of you, or envy you for? We're so busy pretending we've got life all figured out better than the next person, that the gap from what we become, and what we could have been continues to grow (yes, that's the Bob Frissell philosophy).

Oh! Foods here! More on this after some tasty Arby's roast beef sammiches!!!

Comment

You view agnosticism and atheism as conflicting, I do not. That was merely the point. Are you uncomfortable with that?
                    I am not uncomfortable with anything but I do not agree. It is perfectly obvious to me that they are not the same. But again, if you do not have an opinion regarding one opposing the other, which you just expressed that you do not, then stop posting in here. I made this thread with the intention of a format that would be an atheist versus an agnostic. Also, I made it feeling it would not get that response.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Glow
                      Dusken, your initial post and explaination of agnosticism is the very reason I love "The Matrix" so much (Yes, I'm bringing it up again, people....SHUT UP!). Whether the Warchowski brothers meant it this way or not, to me it is a metaphor for breaking away from the rules, labeling, defining, etc, wheather literal law, or refering to human behavior...a metaphor for the philosophy that anything is possible if you realize that all of the above are part of a program that has imprisoned every human mind since birth. And the system was established for the very reason anileve alluded to: People fear not having answers. They want to always be in the know. They set up social customs and structures, morals, values, norms, education systems, make scientific progress, and so on all for the sake of covering up the fact that we don't know jack about what we are, or why we are here. For everything that can't be defined or answered, there is god and religion. All the inexplicable are "acts of god".

I'm not going to get into the marriage thing again, but this whole people struggling to come up with concrete answers to live by is why lives and relationships are a meaningless mess right now. Everyone has to pick a mold or character to fit into, and progress down the checklist of things that follow the flow of "the truths". People's lives revolve around acting, but there's only so long anyone can put up an act. This constant dance around the outside shadows of one's true self is what leaves people's lives in disarray. The mass confusion in not understanding why "the answers" aren't working...it destroys your being and relationships. If you can't figure yourself out, how are you going to figure out what you want out of life, let alone another person? Just look at what people "want" or "need". How many of those things are actually personal desires as opposed to things that you feel others would expect of you, or envy you for? We're so busy pretending we've got life all figured out better than the next person, that the gap from what we become, and what we could have been continues to grow (yes, that's the Bob Frissell philosophy).

Oh! Foods here! More on this after some tasty Arby's roast beef sammiches!!!
                      Such a pessimistic outlook. The Matrix philosophy has many cool things which I agree with, but many things which are wrong as well. It makes the same epistemological errors which Marx made, that people aren't thinking supposedly, the way they should be thinking, and that society has them in a prism.
                      Achkerov kute.

Comment

Working...
                      X