Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

A New Book For Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=Darorinag]I never got to finish Cat's Cradle.QUOTE]

Ooooooooo Darorinag..you cant just stop there. You must read, its only fair you were the one who told us to read it in the frist place. Its such a quick read. Did you get bored of it or something?
    You can't hold a man down without staying down with him.

Comment

• Noooo, I didn't get bored of it. I just couldn't pick up a copy of it from the library, and reading longish books on a laptop is tiresome.. And then I started reading Zamyatin's book (hard copy), and never got back to Cat's Cradle. lol... OK, I promise I'll finish it. Just give me 2 more days.

Comment

• "National Chairman of Poets and Painters for Immediate Nuclear War" <--- LMAO!!!!

OK, I am not done yet, but I am posting some of the passages/sentences that caught my attention:

Christ, back in Chicago, we don't make bicycles any more. It's all human relations now. The eggheads sit around trying to figure out new ways for everybody to be happy. Nobody can get fired, no matter what; and if somebody does accidentally make a bicycle, the union accuses us of cruel and inhuman practices and the government confiscates the bicycle for back taxes and gives it to a blind man in Afghanistan.

-Chapter 42
        Any thoughts on this? I'm just trying to get the discussion going until everyone (including me ) finishes the book.
        Last edited by Darorinag; 08-20-2004, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ckBejug
          I loved the book. =) I just finished it last night. I think what little Newt said about the cat's cradle 'look inside, no cat, no cradle...' just about sums it all up, doesn't it?
          Ahhhh, that was one of the things that caught my attention too..

So as I had promised, I finished the book! It was a surprisingly quick read (read from Ch. 40--> end in less time than I had read from Ch. 1 -->39!) I really liked the ending. It was very well-written and more satirical than any other part of the novel.

This caught my attention:

She was sitting on a three-legged stool in the clearing where Frank's house had stood. She was sewing strips of red, white, and blue cloth together. Like Betsy Ross, she was making an American flag. No one was unkind enough to point out to her that the red was really a peach, that the blue was nearly a Kelly green, and that the fifty stars she had cut out were six-pointed stars of David rather than five-pointed American stars. (Ch. 123)

I thought this was very interesting (naturally ) I've read Vonnegut's Mother Night, which is about Adolf Eichmann (Nazi) and a bitter mockery of the kangaroo court in Nuremberg. This was a very interesting comparison to that one.

Hmm, anyway...

Comment

• Originally posted by ckBejug
            I'm reading Bradbury (I loooove Ray Bradbury)-- Dandelion Wine.

He mentions Armenia and Armenians. Twice. Interesting.

Yeah, a lot of books mention Armenians. Even Jack Kerouac mentions them in his ever so famous On the Road.

I know that the book of choice right now is Cat's Cradle, but if you guys ever have free time, I highly recommend the following books:

Voyages
            Daughters of Memory
            The Great American Loneliness

All of these books were written by Peter Najarian (teaches at Berkeley I think). This guy is amazing. However, I can't really place his books in a single genre. All I can say is that they are very abstract and include subtle but ever so present references to how Armenian Americans deal with their past and cope with life in the present.

Comment

• This reading group thing never really got off to a good start.
              Achkerov kute.

Comment

• Well, I mean, I finished the book because people asked me to (since I had suggested it in the first place), and now it seems like everyone has given up on it.

Comment

• Oo schoolll started...now its going to be harder for me to read anything. Im gone read text books for the next 3 months. Anywho...Im glad you finished Darorinag. Ill try to post something about the book...but right now my mind isnt on cat's cradle.

Comment

• Okay so it seems like some people are not reading or they dont have time to read. I understand. When school starts we are not able to read for pleasure. So, I still have not finished Confessions by St. Augustin. BAD BAD BAD! But I am reading the Bible because Im taking a Bible class for my minor. Its so interesting the things I found out. I never knew the Bible was written in a certain way. How many writters there where, who wrote them and stuff like that. I think want fascinates me most is the History of the Bible.

Now I read Genesis chapters 1 and 2 and realized that there were two different writers, telling two different creations stories. I would have never understood that nor would figured that out if I hadnt taken that class. So it seems by the end of the semester we will finish the Bible. I'm hopeing I learn even more things..cause I'm super excited. There are so many things that I am now understanding when I didnt know before. School is awesome!

Comment

• The Bible, for the most part is written in symbolism and allegory. But the profane do not know that.
                      Achkerov kute.

Comment

Working...
                      X