Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

A New Book For Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved the book. =) I just finished it last night. I think what little Newt said about the cat's cradle 'look inside, no cat, no cradle...' just about sums it all up, doesn't it?
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
      On page 41, of Cat's Cradle under the chapter of "The Most Valuable Commodity On Earth", Vonnegut writes via the characters in the book that:

This basically reaffirms the old stance that knowledge is power. I just found it interesting, not because of his stance, but because I disagree that knowledge is power. Knowledge is convertible into power, but it itself is not power. Wisdom is power. The purpose of science, religion, education, etc., is to make man wise. If knowledge does not make him so, it is wasted, like water poured on sands.
      Don't you thin though that wisdom without knowledge is not as powerful and so knowledge is what makes it even more so?
      The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Well then I have another recommendation. It's another book by Vonnegut, but this time its about a fictional Armenian painter. The name's Bluebeard.

Comment

I believe that sometimes knowing too much is not a good thing It often leads people to suffer when surrounded by idiots who do not fathom the things we know or understand. Sort of like ' Ignorance is bliss' But i happen to also agree with the other viewpoint a few of you pointed out above and also the author. I guess it just depends on whats going on at the time and the situation.

I believe that being wise is more powerful then being knowledgable. Knowledge only goes so far, but being wise is what really takes you there ( to where ever that may be )
          Last edited by MeesterFly; 08-14-2004, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ckBejug
            Don't you thin though that wisdom without knowledge is not as powerful and so knowledge is what makes it even more so?
            Originally posted by ckBejug
            Knowledge in itself is nothing. There is correct knowledge and there is incorrect knowledge. As goey pointed out earlier, you can learn something and it may be incorrect, yet go on believing you have gained knowledge, when in reality you have gained a half truth. What wisdom comes from falsity? To know, is simply not enough. To weave that knowledge into applications for the daily pursuits is what it's about.

One may spend a lifetime in studying a single specialty of knowledge -whether it is botany, or microbiology, or linguistics, or ecology - in committing to memory names derived from the Greek, or Latin, and classifying and reclassifying, and yet be no wiser than when he began. It is the great truths as to all that most concerns a man, as to his rights, interests, and duties that we seek.

Knowing is not enough;
            We must apply.
            Willing is not enough;
            We must do.

-Goethe
            Last edited by Anonymouse; 08-16-2004, 11:23 PM.
            Achkerov kute.

Comment

Codependent .

Comment

I'm reading Bradbury (I loooove Ray Bradbury)-- Dandelion Wine.

He mentions Armenia and Armenians. Twice. Interesting.

Comment

I never got to finish Cat's Cradle. Leaving books unfinished is one of my bad habits (one that I'm trying to shake off, but to no avail). Anyway, I'm reading Dreaming in Cuban by Cristina Garcia right now, and it has this Armenian character in it, Mr. Mikoyan. Still haven't reached the place where he gets introduced, was just flipping through the book and noticed the name. It's on my course list, that's why I'm reading it.

As for Cat's Cradle, I found a few passages very interesting - I'm going to try and finish the book.

Also, did you know that Virginia Woolf mentions Armenians in her very popular book Mrs. Dalloway?

Comment

I was reading another book, the name of which I don't remember, in which Armenians are mentioned in the context of-- eat your food, don't you know there are starving Armenians who have less than you do... etc.

Anyway D you should finish Cat's Cradle. It's such a quick read! I personally liked Slaughterhouse Five better, but this one's pretty good too.

Comment

• Slaughterhouse Five was boring at first, but then it got more and more interesting. Although it's not my fav Vonnegut book - I think his best book is Mother Night (in terms of biting sarcasm/satire). I'll do my best to finish the book (but I have 30+ books on my waiting list, and I really need to start reading those as well, since I'm taking 33 credits this year, and there's no way in hell I'm gonna be able to read all those when school starts - yeah, those books are on my course list).

Anyway, for all those interested, here are two passages from Mrs. Dalloway:

He must be off, he said, getting up. But he stood for a moment as if he were about to say something; and she wondered what? Why? There were the roses.

'Some Committee?' she asked, as he opened the door.
                      'Armenians,' he said; or perhaps it was 'Albanians'.*

* publisher note: It was most definitely the (Christian) Armenians, many of whom, in what some historians have identified as the twentieth century's first act of genocide, were massacred by the (Muslim) Turks in 1915. This followed earlier slaughters of Armenians by the Turks in 1894-6. In 1915, the Turks drove out two-thirds of the Armenian population, forcing them to flee to Soviet Armenia, Syria, and Palestine. During this exodus (1915-1920), one million Armenians were either killed or died of starvation, prompting a great deal of debate in the British press about how best to protect the Armenians and other ethnic minorities. For an interesting discussion of Clarissa's confusion, see Trudi Tate, 'Mrs Dalloway and the Armenian Question,' Textual Practice, 8/3 (Winter 1994), 467-86. See also, Akaby Nassibian, Britain and the Armenian Question, 1915-1923 (London: Croom Helm, 1984). Significantly, the offices of both the British Armenia Committee and the Armenian Refugees (Lord Mayor's) Fund were located round the corner from Clarissa's house at 96 Victoria Street.
                      "He was already halfway to the House of Commons, to his Armenians, his Albanians, having settled her on the sofa, looking at his roses. And people would say, 'Clarissa Dalloway is spoilt.' She cared much more for her roses than for the Armenians. Hunted out of existence, maimed, frozen, the victims of cruelty and injustice (she had heard Richard say so over and over again) -- no, she could feel nothing for the Albanians, or was it the Armenians?) -- the only flowers she could bear to see cut.
                      I didn't like that book much, but I found it interesting that Armenians had made it into the plot.

Comment

Working...
                      X