Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Evolution is (essentially) fact - so get over it already

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by winoman
    wrong - can't either of you read or understand what you read.

dumb & dumber....
    And you are dumberer.
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
      And you are dumberer.
      dumberer -

Function - noun

pronunciation - dum aur or

1 : an individual who exposes idiots and charlatans masquarading as educated - such as on popular web forums

2 : someone who correctly attributes the status or condition of being dumb or dumber to those deserving of such

3 : a person with exceptional ability to sniff out bullxxxx and garbage posts and identify those posters attempting to pass off such trash as scholarship and insight

4 : a person who pities those who just don't get it

Comment

I take it you've never seen the movie.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmenianKid
          it is a theory.same with creationism. not enough proof is there to prove either one. i know theres millions of people that belive in both and i know im going to be yelled at for not calling them facts. personly i dont really belive either one, and i dont have any idea in how we got here. frankly i couldnt care less. we are here, thats i care to know.
          I understand how evolution may be considered theory ... but he the f does "creationism" get classified as theory? ... unless you want to classify the easter bunny, santa clause, and elvis being alive as theory as well.
          this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip
            I understand how evolution may be considered theory ... but he the f does "creationism" get classified as theory? ... unless you want to classify the easter bunny, santa clause, and elvis being alive as theory as well.
            Well Sip according to some (like this excitable French Canadian/Armenian person we both know) - any statment concerning the belief or lack thereof of the easter bunny, santa clause, and elvis etc - could be construed as having a particualr religion. Yes - I know it sounds (and is) silly - but its amazing what some people try to claim sometime - like Evolution being a belief requirring faith...well only in the same way that I have "faith" that our scientists more or less have the distances of the planets and stars down pretty accuratly and that ny pharmiscist is mixing up my perscription correctly...I mean who am I to go and measure these things myself? (hint - I rely on the checks and balances that is peer review etc to do such for me...) - otherwise I trust in science to discover and explain things that are within the realm of science...that sort of thing....yeah fools

Comment

Only human arrogance, and arrogant people claim to know all the answers to everything. This usually springs from an insecure attitude of not knowing the whole truth which threatens their grip on reality. Thus by creating dogmas it forms a prism that allows them to breath safely within those confines. Thus by affirming evolution is fact, they are in effect saying evolution is dogma that cannot be questioned. This line of reasoning means they and they alone are possessors of truth while everyone else toils in the fields of misanthropy because they deny the *ding ding ding you guessed it* "fact" of evolution.

In their haze of dogma, they forget that science is about what is observable and testable within the bounds of nature, our physical world. Evolution goes a step beyond and postulates a claim that we descended from simple organisms into complex ones. While this may be a nice and comforting explanation, it nonetheless is not observed. It can only be taken by a touch of faith - a belief in the assertion that we did evolve - not that this has been proven, observed or tested.
              Achkerov kute.

Comment

wrong - again - I can only surmise that you cannot read or understand what you read and that you in fact have no appreciation of what constitutes science and scientific beliefs. As I have posted sufficiently to make my point - such as this several times already on this thread:

“Nonetheless, the claim that evolution must be too slow to see can only rank as an urban legend—although not a completely harmless tale in this case, for our creationists incubi can then use the fallacy as an argument against evolution at any scale, and many folks take them seriously because they just ‘know’ that evolution can never be seen in the immediate here and now. In fact, a precisely opposite situation prevails: biologists have documented a veritable glut of cases for rapid and eminently measurable evolution on timescales of years and decades.”

— Stephen J Gould: "The Paradox of the Visibly Irrelevant," Natural History 106 (December 2000)

As well as links to other statements from scientists (and the National Acadamy of Science - reposted below) - all affirming why Evolution Science is good Science - well I can only surmise that you are the one who is basing your belief on unsupportable dogma and not I.

specifically the following should be read -

http://books.nap.edu/html/creationism/conclusion.html)

Comment

More Stephen Jay Gould - that in fact shows that believing in the principles of Evolution is in fact not arrogantly believing one knows all things - but it is accepting that we are forever learning and discovering. It is those (like you)who reject this (scientific discovery) and cling to totally unproven (and without any scientific basis) dogma concerning the origins of life who are the arrogant ones with a prior conviction...

“Sigmund Freud often remarked that great revolutions in the history of science have but one common, and ironic, feature: they knock human arrogance off one pedestal after another of our previous conviction about our own self-importance. In Freud's three examples, Copernicus moved our home from center to periphery, Darwin then relegated us to ‘descent from an animal world’; and, finally (in one of the least modest statements of intellectual history), Freud himself discovered the unconscious and exploded the myth of a fully rational mind. In this wise and crucial sense, the Darwinian revolution remains woefully incomplete because, even though thinking humanity accepts the fact of evolution, most of us are still unwilling to abandon the comforting view that evolution means (or at least embodies a central principle of) progress defined to render the appearance of something like human consciousness either virtually inevitable or at least predictable. The pedestal is not smashed until we abandon progress or complexification as a central principle and come to entertain the strong possibility that H. sapiens is but a tiny, late-arising twig on life's enormously arborescent bush—a small bud that would almost surely not appear a second time if we could replant the bush from seed and let it grow again.”

— "The Evolution of Life On Earth," Scientific American 271 (October 1994): 91.

Comment

And concernign this claim of failing to believe we evolved from simple organisms...well the fossil record is clear - those at the lower layers represent simpler/earlier lifeforms...those above - in more recent geological stratifications - demonstrate higher - more evolved organisms. Additionally - there are a great many "missing links" that show clear evolution from one speciies type to another - that clearly show the phases of adaptation/evolution. So there

Comment

And again - more Gould:

“The anatomical transition from reptiles to mammals is particularly well documented in the key anatomical change of jaw articulation to hearing bones. Only one bone, called the dentary, builds the mammalian jaw, while reptiles retain several small bones in the rear portion of the jaw. We can trace, through a lovely sequence of intermediates, the reduction of these small reptilian bones, and their eventual disappearance or exclusion from the jaw, including the remarkable passage of the reptilian articulation bones into the mammalian middle ear (where they became our malleus and incus, or hammer and anvil). We have even found the transitional form that creationists often proclaim inconceivable in theory—for how can jawbones become ear bones if intermediaries must live with an unhinged jaw before the new joint forms? The transitional species maintains a double jaw joint, with both the old articulation of reptiles (quadrate to articular bones) and the new connection of mammals (squamosal to dentary) already in place! Thus, one joint could be lost, with passage of its bones into the ear, while the other articulation continued to guarantee a properly hinged jaw. Still, our creationist incubi, who would never let facts spoil a favorite argument, refuse to yield, and continue to assert the absence of all transitional forms by ignoring those that have been found, and continuing to taunt us with admittedly frequent examples of absence.”

— "Hooking Leviathan by Its Past," Dinosaur in a Haystack, New York: Crown Trade Paperbacks, 1997, pp. 360-361.

Comment

Working...
                      X