Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Objectivism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Objectivism

Having read Rand's Atlas Shrugged I was impressed by the book and its defense of individuality and liberty against the collective herd. I then read The Fountainhead and I was equally impressed. I thought "Wow, no one has done a better defense of individuality than this author and her novels". Ayn Rand was perfectly fine when she wrote novels about liberty and the place of the individual. However, the problem with her is novels weren't enough and she decided to march into the territory of philosophy. She started a philosophy termed "Objectivism", which as Wikipedia states is the following:

Objectivism is the philosophy of Ayn Rand. In summary, Objectivism holds that human beings are conscious of an independent reality through their senses, that reason is essential in processing this data, that the proper moral purpose of one's life is to pursue one's own rational self-interest, and that the only moral social system is full laissez-faire capitalism with a minimal government limited to courts, police, and a military.
    While I do not disagree with its promotion of laissez-faire capitalism and minimal government this philosophy has a number of points I find bones to pick with. The problem with her philosophy are threefold: first, it has promoted a cult of personality centered around the founder itself, Ayn Rand; second, it's metaphysical assumption that reason and reason itself is the only way to truth, i.e. a cult of rationalism; third, Rand's philosophy has morphed into a system of scapegoating.

While claiming objectivism, they forget that it is not objective by it's own standard, it is simply group subjectivity.
    Achkerov kute.

Originally posted by Anonymouse
    While I do not disagree with its promotion of laissez-faire capitalism and minimal government this philosophy has a number of points I find bones to pick with. The problem with her philosophy are threefold: first, it has promoted a cult of personality centered around the founder itself, Ayn Rand; second, it's metaphysical assumption that reason and reason itself is the only way to truth, i.e. a cult of rationalism; third, Rand's philosophy has morphed into a system of scapegoating.

While claiming objectivism, they forget that it is not objective by it's own standard, it is simply group subjectivity.
    1. In a world full of sheeps, Ayn Rand was a lion. Before her, no one had come up with a fully rational philosophy that covered all of its branches: metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, politics, and esthetics. Her philosophy was entirely integrated and there were no contradictions in this philosophy. The philosophy gave proof that Man has a right to this own life and that no one else can take that right from them without the sanction of the victim. This philosophy was in direct conflict with the accepted mentality of self-sacrfice before it.

The fact is that Rand's philosophy does not explicitly create a cult. In fact it explicitly states the opposite of what a cult is - it promotes individual thought.

There are those who take her philosophy to extremes of course - and there are a large percentage of those types. They accept anything that comes out of her mouth without analyzing every aspect of the philosophy and that is the cult mentality.

I analyze anything Ayn Rand, Leonard Peikoff, or any other Objectivists same before I can accept that premise and integrate it with my own subconscious. To not analyze anything they say is not Reason, but blind faith.

The picture of Ayn Rand that I have as my avatar is not cult-like. It is a testament of a heroic human being who dared to challenge the philosophies of the time.

2. There are three axioms that one must metaphysically accept. These axioms come before the act of defining Reason. These axioms are:
    The Law of Identity "A=A"
    The Axiom of Existence "Existence exists."
    The Axiom of Consciousness "Consciousness is conscious."

These axioms are accepted by most philosophers as any philosophy cannot be valid if it doesn't.

Reason is based on the acknowledgment of these three axioms.

3. Scapegoating? What are some examples?

If by scapegoating you mean the judgment of anything irrational, then yes, it does state that Rational Men must pronounce moral judgment whenever appropriate. We must never let a murderer get away with murder because some people say, "He's just human, and we're no better". We must never let a rapist get away with rape because some say, "He's just human, and we're no better". And we can't let an irrationalist get away with irrationality because some say, "He's just human, and we're no better".

P.S. Ayn Rand developed her novels long before she started writing them. Her novels are all based on her integrated philosophy. One can see that she uses her novels to project Man as he supposed to be but she furthered her philosophy via non-fiction.

P.P.S.What leads you to believe that Objectivism is a "is not objective by it's own standard, it is simply group subjectivity"?

Comment

While I do not have the time now to engage in a long discussion as I did in the past regarding other topics, I will refer you to the following article by Butler Shaffer, who echoes my views entirely on the issue of Objectivism and Ayn Rand. Enjoy.

My introduction to what is generally referred to as the "libertarian" philosophy did not begin, as Jerome Tuccille wrote it usually does, with Ayn Rand. Lane Lancaster — my undergraduate professor of political theory — was the first to introduce me to philosophers with a decided preference for individual liberty. I later received an introduction to free market economics from one of my law school professors, the late Aaron Director. And in 1960, friends introduced my wife and me to Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged, a novel that challenged the underpinnings of political systems. In following years, I read a number … Continue reading →

Excelsior.
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

While I believe that we live in an objective universe, none of us can ever know the nature of that reality other than through the subjective processes by which our mind organizes its experiences. We do not learn about the world in the mechanistic fashion of a video camera recording sensory impressions. Rather, we interact with our world, organizing our experiences into categories and concepts by which we make comparisons and contrasts. It is the mind, alone, that creates these categories; they do not exist beyond the boundaries of our mind.
        I agree with this part. I haven't finished reading the article (a little long for work reading), but I don't know about morality and values.
        There's a book that I need to read by Michael Shermer called The Science of Good and Evil on that topic I believe.
        Why post if I haven't finished reading right? I was going to post in this thread for a different reason...

I finished reading The Fountainhead a couple weeks ago and I started Atlas Shrugged today. I was listening to the audiobook and I think I'd like to own the book as well, since you can't as easily refer back to things in an audiobook. So, I bought the book at lunch and went back over to the table where my bf and his coworkers were finishing their lunches. I was showing him what I bought when his boss commented "Ahhhh Atlas Shrugged. I have a friend that's an Objectivist." Everyone else had no clue what he was talking about, so he continues "I can summarize the whole philosophy in one sentence: Selfishness is good".
        After reading The Fountainhead, I didn't have the impression that that was what the book advocated.
        What do those of you who have finished the book and are more familiar with the philosophy think?
        Oh and don't spoil the story for me please... or give a warning early in the post that you are going to.
        [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
        -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

all i have to say is that your bf's boss is a liberal. hahahaha. go figure.

edit: it's about the importance of the individual (and i think the main character struggles against society to retain his individuality). if you ask me, the fountainhead is the libertarian bible. haha.

i havent read the book or anything but from what i hear, it's about how society consists of a bunch of followers and if you wanna separate yourself from the herd, you gotta be selfish. this is what the main character dude tries to do.
          Last edited by thedebutante; 07-08-2005, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X