Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Cost of Oil and Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of Oil and Gas

Foreign Policy, Monetary Policy, and Gas Prices

by Ron Paul

The burning issue in Washington today is high gas prices, and it won’t go away anytime soon. Americans are not happy about paying $3 per gallon at the pump, and they want something done about it.

But price controls won’t work, and allegations of price gouging and “windfall profits” amount to nothing more than congressional grandstanding. No government official or politician is fit to define a “fair” price for gas or a “fair” profit for oil companies. This is not the Soviet Union. The last thing we need is centralized government planning when it comes to our precious energy supplies.

The price of oil, like everything else, depends on supply and demand. What we really need to focus on is how government keeps the supply of refined gasoline too low. This is not as easy as demanding price controls, and does not fit into 30-second sound bites. But as with so many issues, we must peel away decades of government interference to really understand the problem.

Most people understand that federal restrictions on exploring, drilling, and refining domestic oil have made us dependent on various questionable Middle East governments. We should expand this into a greater understanding of how American foreign policy increases gas prices here at home. Before the war in Iraq, oil was about $28 per barrel. Today it is over $70. Iraq was a significant source of worldwide oil, but its production has dropped 50% since 2002. Pipeline sabotage and fires are routine; we have been unable to prevent them. Furthermore, the general instability in the Middle East created by the war causes oil prices to rise everywhere.

The sooner we get out of Iraq and allow the Iraqis to solve their own problems the better. Soaring gasoline prices are one giant unintended consequence of the war, pure and simple.

Even so, many war hawks are seriously agitating for an attack on Iran – another major supplier of worldwide oil. They are not concerned one bit about the impact such an attack would have on the wallets of average Americans; their obsession with regime change in Iran trumps all common sense. But let me be clear: An attack on Iran, coupled with our continued presence in Iraq, could hike gas prices to $5 or $6 per gallon.

We also must understand the effect monetary policy has on gas prices. The price of gas, like the price of all things, goes up because of inflation. And inflation by definition is an increase in the money supply. The money supply is controlled by the Federal Reserve Bank, and responds to the deficits Congress creates. When deficits are excessive, as they are today, the Fed creates new dollars out of thin air to buy Treasury bills and keep interest rates artificially low. But when new money is created out of nothing, the money already in circulation loses value. Once this is recognized, prices rise – some more rapidly than others. That’s what we see today with the cost of energy.

If we want to do something about gas prices, we should demand greatly reduced welfare and military spending, a balanced budget, and fewer regulations that interfere with the market development of alternative fuels. All subsidies and special benefits to energy companies should be ended. We also should demand a return to a sound commodity monetary system.

And in the meantime, let’s eliminate federal gas taxes at the pump. That alone would save Americans 18.4 cents per gallon. By contrast, oil companies only make about 10 cents per gallon. So maybe it’s government that’s being greedy.

Oil prices are at a level where consumers reduce consumption voluntarily. The market will work if we let it. But as great as the market economy is, it cannot overcome a foreign policy that is destined to disrupt oil supplies and threaten the world with an expanded and dangerous conflict in the Middle East. And it cannot overcome a monetary policy destined to inflate our dollars into oblivion.
    Achkerov kute.

Re: Cost of Oil and Gas

Or better yet, how about we begin drilling on lands WE own? We have the ability, just not the go ahead...

Anyway, at $3, has anybody here or does anybody here KNOW anybody who has had to change their lifestyle to afford gas?

Comment

Yah I've changed my plans quite a bit for this Summer. Instead of doing 2 or 3 long trips (2000 miles each way), I might do a bunch of more local trips (less than 500 miles) and maybe do only 1 really long trip. I will also probably drive a lot slower (less than 75MPH) to keep the fuel consumption in check. The jeep loves to be around 55MPH. Push it to around 80 and the gas milage drops big time (by as much as 20 to 30%).
      this post = teh win.

Comment

Planet Ark
        Australia's most trusted environmental organisation. Providing positive environmental actions, for everyone.

New Zealand plans carbon tax to meet Kyoto targets

Comment

petrol here has hit 1.45 a litre last year this times it was about 70cents

where fukt in 25 years time when there will be no oil left

we should be doing more research in finding ways to replace oil

Comment

I drive faster now...since the streets are less crowded.

Comment

Originally posted by ddd
              I drive faster now...since the streets are less crowded.

Am I the only one here who has heard the theory that oil may replenish itself?

Comment

When will the prices drop?
                -Peace 2 All.

Comment

"LET’S RAISE GAS TAXES AND LOWER INCOME TAXES"

My question with ecotax always has been how to prevent the government from depending on people acting in eco-bad ways. I'd rather pay $3 a gallon if $2 of that went to taxes (and that tax back to good causes, including ecology and human needs), rather than to oil execs, though.

Originally posted by Anahita after saying "I'm kitty-like"
                  She wants a car with a cupholder armrest
                  She wants a car that will get her there
                  She's changing her name from "Kitty" to "Karen"...
                  --CAKE (Short Skirt Long Jacket)
                  Global Warming thread: http://forum.armenianclub.com/showpo...4&postcount=65

Originally posted by Anahita
                  Dharma: [about running opponent Karen Love] It's her name. I mean, how can you *not* vote for "care and love"? Guess I might as well change my name to "lower taxes and free balloons for all the kids."
                  Last edited by Anahita; 06-23-2006, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Here is a little joke with truth. Three inmates are talking:

1st prisoner says, "I'm from Exxon and I'm in prison because they say I charged too much for oil. Price gouging they called it."

2nd prisoner says, "I'm from Walmart and I'm in prison because they say I charged too little for my product. Unfair competition they called it."

3rd prisoner says, "I'm from Samsung and I'm in prison because they say I charged the same price as everyone else for my commodity DRAM chips. Price fixing they called it."

Anyway, the moral of the story is that the government is a joke when it comes to understanding prices.
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Working...
                    X