Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Consequences of Anti-Vax misinformation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Consequences of Anti-Vax misinformation

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
    The fear tactics were utilized by the anti-vaxxers. "Snake oil" is not backed by the YEARS of programmatic research of vaccinations.
    I linked the thread from the last round of running circles with you... I'm not in the mood for rehashing that stuff.
    The combined MMR vaccine hasn't had years of research - it was the vaccines that it replaced which had.
    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by Christina View Post
      I know of a homepathic practioner (forgive my misspelling), and he concocted a stange combination of something,
      and told me to take it. I did, and wow, I did not get the serious what was it then? flu ? this was eons ago, and
      for the times before that he made also something for me. It really kept me from catching the darn thing
      that was landing everyone else in the hospital in droves! The other two times it got me over it in 2 or 3 days!

Though, because event "A" happened (you got expensive water with a few molecules of something in it), and then event "B" happened (you felt better) - that doesn't mean "A" cured "B", or that the two events are even related. For most untreated illnesses, you get over them in a couple of days .... or you die!
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
        What you are repeating here is just an example of the religious-like fanaticism of the medical establishment and its penchant for witch-hunts against anyone who dares speak out against its orthodoxy.

All the past mistakes that the medical establishment has committed, all the false views that it has held, is ignored by themedical establishment as if it had never happened. It is a profession that seems to learn nothing from its mistakes. EVERY advance in medical science has been opposed by the medical profession. If it were up to them, we would all still believe in blood-letting to cure infections. I don't need to go back centuries - as recently as the early 1990s doctors still thought stomach ulcers were a result of diet or, even, "stress" (about as laughable an opinion as blood-letting to cure "bad blood"), and they tried to cure ulcers by risky surgery. But then two doctor working away from the establishment centres decided to do their own research and discovered that almost all stomach ulcers wre caused by a bacterial infection and could be easily cured by antibiotics. That was in 1882, but it still took over a decade for their research to be accepted. In that decade, how many hundreds of thousands of people suffered needlessly, went through unnecessary and painful operations, until the medical establishment accepted the obvious? How many actually died because of it? And how many millions had suffered or died because for generations the medical establishment had held that its laughable orthodoxy about what caused peptic ulcers was correct. And how much money was made by the medical establishment administering its quack "cures" for peptic ulcers?
        There's resistance to change everywhere. The more recent trend is towards evidence-based medicine and to the extent that they're "doing science" change is built in.
        Medicine is not as advanced as we'd all like to think (E.g. Lobotomies in the 50s). We're still trying to understand how the body works; of course there will be mistakes.
        The appropriate response is to push for continued research and an emphasis on evidence. It is not to abandon it altogether for something unsupported and unscientific (e.g. homeophathy).

The combined MMR vaccine hasn't had years of research - it was the vaccines that it replaced which had.

However, I meant vaccines on the whole. Kanada, if memory serves, doubts them all.

Though, because event "A" happened (you got expensive water with a few molecules of something in it), and then event "B" happened (you felt better) - that doesn't mean "A" cured "B", or that the two events are even related. For most untreated illnesses, you get over them in a couple of days .... or you die!
        Ah yes, good old "regression to the mean" and the placebo effect This is precisely why we need to conduct experiments (i.e. have control/comparison groups).
        [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
        -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

However, I meant vaccines on the whole. Kanada, if memory serves, doubts them all.
          Your memory fails you, I believe the discussion was on the use of mercury that was introduced as a preservative.
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl..._ylo=&as_vis=0

Erm .... a quick glance reveals the dates 2001, 1999, 2005, 2003 ... and so on ... those are the date of the various studies. MMR was licensed in the US in 1971, and developed only a few years prior to that date. In other words, it was introduced with minimal testing and all the subsequent research has been done using millions of children as unwitting test subjects for several decades, alongside an established MMR-production and delivery industry to make sure no off-message results occur.
            Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

It was probably a concoction of vitamins that are necessary for proper function of the immune system. Malnutrition is a cause of people getting seriously ill over the common cold or a flu. Considering the average modern diet consists of McDonalds, there is no wonder so many people have deficient immune systems.
              "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

We're still trying to understand how the body works; of course there will be mistakes.
                The peptic ulcer example is far worse than just "mistakes". The idea that "stress" could cause an ulcer is like something you would find in a medieval mindset. There is not even a medical definition of "stress", yet it was being given as the cause for a widespread medical condition as late as the 1990s (and some vested-interest doctors are still trying to squeeze it in as a possible cause so they can make money from treating the "stress"). In its reasoning, it is the equivalent of a doctor, a 21st century doctor, saying to you you shouldn't be a moderator here because, being a woman, you will get over stimulated and fall ill from an attack of the vapors!
                Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                  It was probably a concoction of vitamins that are necessary for proper function of the immune system. Malnutrition is a cause of people getting seriously ill over the common cold or a flu. Considering the average modern diet consists of McDonalds, there is no wonder so many people have deficient immune systems.
                  Christina had mentioned she got it from a homeopathic practitioner, so I was assuming it was a homeopathic remedy - homeopathic medicines are not concoctions of vitamins, they are very very very small amounts of some substance that supposedly cures something, delivered inside a neutral substance of much greater volume, usually water or an oil.
                  Last edited by bell-the-cat; 05-02-2011, 11:30 AM.
                  Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

The peptic ulcer example is far worse than just "mistakes". The idea that "stress" could cause an ulcer is like something you would find in a medieval mindset. There is not even a medical definition of "stress", yet it was being given as the cause for a widespread medical condition as late as the 1990s (and some vested-interest doctors are still trying to squeeze it in as a possible cause so they can make money from treating the "stress"). In its reasoning, it is the equivalent of a doctor, a 21st century doctor, saying to you you shouldn't be a moderator here because, being a woman, you will get over stimulated and fall ill from an attack of the vapors!
                    I'm afraid the belief that stress and your diet causing peptic ulcers has not disappeared. My father had a peptic ulcer a few years ago and while they said it was from bacteria and treated it with anti-biotics, they kept asking him if he was stressed and if he ate spicy foods and they jumped on him when he admitted that he loved eating spicy.
                    Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
                      I'm afraid the belief that stress and your diet causing peptic ulcers has not disappeared. My father had a peptic ulcer a few years ago and while they said it was from bacteria and treated it with anti-biotics, they kept asking him if he was stressed and if he ate spicy foods and they jumped on him when he admitted that he loved eating spicy.
                      You can get ulcers from kissing the wrong kind of people. Can't use that as an argument though as it might be deemed as religious Spicy foods generally make symptons of ulcers worse but they aren't the cause.

Comment

Working...
                      X