Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Banning Turks

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Armenian-Turkish Relations

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
    What is the point of allowing them to deny the Genocide when it's the same bs over and over? Why is it so hard for you guys to understand the forum atmosphere drops each time some thread on the Genocide is opened by a turk or a turk comments on an already existing one. Why are you guys so lax on this issue?
    I've been sitting at my computer now for about five minutes contemplating your question. My initial reaction is to try and defend the mods concerning their stance because I know they're smart guys and good Armenians...At the very least, I am trying to understand how their stance can be good for the forum. Alas, I'm coming up with nothing.

The bottom line is that there is really no excuse to let Turks come here and "get their fill" at the expense of forum unity.

Anonymouse has always said he loves the community atmosphere of this forum...I agree with him. However, this community will always have the potential to be ripped apart by the toxic nature of Turkish propagandist.

Comment

Is it really so hard to devise a way to "give them their fill" with minimal effort? You guys know your points that cannot be argued, it's just a matter of combining them all into a seamless short document that Turks will be forced to read each time they bring the issue up. I can make a sticky out of it if you guys decide to produce one and you can cite it whenever you talk to Turks from now on, should make the process easier.

I personally don't mind it if Turks come here in small doses and hearing our points, could be helpful for them and even us if they ever begin to question their own leadership and take a hint that their government today is essentially rooted from the one initiated by the Young Turks.

This is a panel for discussion for all sorts of things, and people who are curious about Armenians are welcome too join, we're obviously not trying to establish a nationalist party here though you're free to contribute and enrich the forum with your points of view on it, hopefully explaining why there is logic behind it to members that previously did not comprehend it, as was my case once.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
        Is it really so hard to devise a way to "give them their fill" with minimal effort? You guys know your points that cannot be argued, it's just a matter of combining them all into a seamless short document that Turks will be forced to read each time they bring the issue up. I can make a sticky out of it if you guys decide to produce one and you can cite it whenever you talk to Turks from now on, should make the process easier.
        I personally don't mind it if Turks come here in small doses and hearing our points, could be helpful for them and even us if they ever begin to question their own leadership and take a hint that their government today is essentially rooted from the one initiated by the Young Turks.

This is a panel for discussion for all sorts of things, and people who are curious about Armenians are welcome too join, we're obviously not trying to establish a nationalist party here though you're free to contribute and enrich the forum with your points of view on it, hopefully explaining why there is logic behind it to members that previously did not comprehend it, as was my case once.
        Great idea...but how would you "force" them to read it. Would you make it so that when they sign in they can only access the "anti-denialist" thread?
        Last edited by crusader1492; 10-13-2008, 04:25 PM.

Comment

lol, that would be funny. But no, it would be up to us as members to ignore their take on it by perpetually citing our document as our only reply until they show signs of coming around (or at least assimilating our point of view in a half decent way as a speculative possibility)
          Last edited by jgk3; 10-13-2008, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crusader1492 View Post
            Armanen,

I feel your pain. However, admin will not ban unless rules are broken. Therefore, one can spew Turkish propaganda here as long as they do it with "decorum"

With that said, I believe a new rule should be put forth.

That is, Genocide Denial is a bannable offense.

That would solve 90% of the infestation.
            I don't know why this couldn't be a solution. Genocide Denial (and all its corollaries - we were only 'deported', Turks were killed to the same extent, blah blah blah) is tantamount to denigration of the Armenian People and Nation and such be a banable offense.

Comment

Wouldn't Genocide denial fall under this rule:

"-post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, religion etc"

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
                lol, that would be funny. But no, it would be up to us as members to ignore their take on it by perpetually citing our document as our only reply until they show signs of coming around (or at least assimilating our point of view in a half decent way as a speculative possibility)
                That's all well and good, but I don't see it working. I like my idea better.

Comment

In any case, making the document is step 1. Lets return to the focus of the thread instead of discussing our logistical strategy within these forums in dealing with Turkish posters (even though it sounds deceptively in line with the thread title).
                  Last edited by jgk3; 10-13-2008, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
                    I don't know why this couldn't be a solution. Genocide Denial (and all its corollaries - we were only 'deported', Turks were killed to the same extent, blah blah blah) is tantamount to denigration of the Armenian People and Nation and such be a banable offense.
                    I think you have to keep it simple. That is if someone says concretely, "there was no Genocide", some type of automatic response (be it a warning, banning etc) should occur.

Anyway, it's not going to happen, so I just assume drop it (for now )

Comment

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
                      Wouldn't Genocide denial fall under this rule:

"-post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, religion etc"
                      I think you and crusader have a misunderstanding.

The rule refers to outward manifestations of insulting Armenians using vulgar and or insulting speech. That because we all subjectively may be insulted by this or that statement or phrase is not enough. By that logic, we should ban all sorts of stuff that we each subjectively deem 'offensive.' Much like in law, the standard is one of reasonableness, i.e., we try as much to look at this objectively.

The fact that people come here questioning the genocide (regardless of their reasons - ignorance, arrogance, propaganda) is not enough to ban them.

There are two strands of questioning: [1] Those that legitimately come here to argue because they want to debate the actual substance regardless of why they believe what they do, and [2] those that are here to post rants and nonsense simply to elicit a reaction. Those in the latter category are without question banned when either we see them or you inform them to us.

However, I have to say, the emotional response you and crusader have shown is not becoming. You are anti-free speech and your intolerance toward disagreement is a sad testament to us as Armenians. I don't care what rationale you put forth. You even disagree with Armenians here who post dissenting views, resorting insults. There is no room for that.

If a Turk comes in here breaking rules and does not hide their intention in terms of insulting us, they will be banned. However, most Turks who do come here, advocate their views because they either don't know better or because they generally and genuinely believe in their version. If their expression inadvertently insults us, that is not grounds to ban them. These are the people who are trying to have a dialogue with and reach out.

How does that look and reflect on us Armenians when we engage in the same anti-intellectual rigidity with which we accuse Turks of behaving?

While we are on it: I am against all laws that prohibit free speech. In Europe, there are laws that penalize those who question the Armenian genocide as well as the holocaust. I do not support such laws, no more than I support the Turkish government making it a crime to do the same in their own country. What do we end up with these two things? We end up with the rule of force declaring truth, which is the lowest denominator of establishing truth.

Truth should stand on its own criteria and methods, not as a result of government fiat. Prohibiting thought in forbidden ways or creating thought crime is the worst thing we as a civilization and as a people can do. By supporting such restrictions on expression, we end up being no better than the Turks who stifle freedom of thought in their country.

This issue is settled as far I am concerned. Do not raise any more questions about banning Turks because you find their presence distasteful. If you don't like it, leave.

The end.

EDIT: I also support jgk3's idea.
                      Achkerov kute.

Comment

Working...
                      X