Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Etymology of Karabakh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etymology of Karabakh

Karabakh's (Ղարաբաղ, Karabağ) etymology is believed to have derived from the Turkish kara (black) and Persian bagh (garden). It sounds absurd to me because there is no such thing as a black garden in Karabakh.

It may possibly be something similar to Akdamar. In Turkish, one may relate Akdamar to white (ak) vein (damar). But that's completely abstract, and we all know that Akdamar comes from Armenian Akhtamar (which has its own folk story). The same pattern may probably be applied to Karabakh if you consider this:

[...]proposed by Bagrat Ulubabyan, [...] [Karabakh] has a Turkic-Armenian origin, meaning "Greater Baghk" [Մեծ Բաղք], a reference to Ktish-Baghk (later: Dizak), one of the principalities of Artsakh during the eleventh to thirteenth centuries. [Article on Wikipedia]
    I had once read that "kara" may also mean "far" in Armenian. I don't know if that's true (can't find where I read this).

Considering Armenians ruled the area from the 9th to 18th centuries, the region cannot easily have inherited a foreign name. Unless, of course, if we argue Karabakh is the foreign name given to Artsakh (similar to how Armenia is the foreign name for Hayastan). But Armenians themselves refer to the region as Gharabagh sometimes..

Does anyone know more about this subject? It would be nice if someone would also explain what Ktish-Baghk was.
    Last edited by SevSpitak; 02-22-2010, 07:30 PM.

Re: Etymology of Karabakh

Karabagh and Nagorno Karabagh are not equivalent. Karabagh includes a large portion of the vast plain that is east of Artsakh/Nagorno (Mountainous) Karabagh, in Azerbaijan. Armenians were not a majority in those lands at least not for a very long time, and were easily ethnically cleansed there during the genocide and afterwards. In Artsakh on the other hand, with its imposing mountains, we always constituted a majority, and the DNA of native Artsakhtsis has not experienced much mixing with neighbouring populations, including Armenian ones. Those Armenians have been there for a long time, without stop, and they're not going anywhere.

I don't know any conclusive truth about the origins of the name for Karabagh, which as I mentioned, is a territorial name that includes Nagorno Karabagh (Artsakh), which we as Armenians refer to as Gharabagh sometimes because it's the only Karabagh we consider. The same is not true for the Azeris, who already have the plains of Karabagh and have their sights on the mountainous, western portion of this land, which we dominate.
    Last edited by jgk3; 02-23-2010, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Karabakh is formed from the adjective word of Turkic origin Kara (meaning black) and the noun of Persian origin باغ ("bagh" meaning garden).

In Turkic languages, we can see that (in Azeri) Qarabağ and (in Turkish) Karabağ derive exactly from this loanword, and it influenced other languages to do it as well such (in Russian) Карабах and (in Spanish) Karabaj, but in Armenian we have the situation that we pronounce the word Ղարաբաղ. The reason may be the same linguistic procedure which took us to pronounce the name of the city of Kars either as Կարս or as Ղարս.

Now, I know (and I believe I am right) the name of (Mountainous) Karabakh meaning "(Mountainous) Black Garden" refers to the fact that the soil in Karabakh is very black (meaning it's very rich in minerals), and the vegetation and nature in there is so beautiful and pure that it made it look as a beautiful garden surrounded by the mountains.
      Last edited by ashot24; 02-23-2010, 08:53 AM.

Comment

I know about that (that it comes from a Turkic-Persian word), but I'm interested in Bagrat Ulubabyan's theory. We all know how Turks like to distort realities to something convenient for them (Akdamar [Axtamar], Ankara [Angora], Islambol/Istanbul [Greek Stanbolis], to name a few), so I want to know what exactly Bagrat Ulubabyan is saying to come to his conclusion. Even though Karabakh's etymology is widely accepted as such, considering it comes from a Turkish point of view, I'd look into it deeper.

Comment

I'm not sure how "Greater Baghk" relates to Karabakh combining Turkish and Armenian.

Only thing I can think of is gara - means like "station" or "depot" in Turkish which would make sense when referring to a fortress or stronghold.

Apparently Ktish Baghk was a Kingdom during the rule of the Aranshahik dynasty...

The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist’s courtyard has a number of other memorials including numerous khachkars—unique-to-Armenia stone crosses. Near the northern wall of the Cathedral stands a large khachkar commemorating Hasan Jalal Vahtangian’s daughter Hatun, whose mother and Hasan Jalal’s wife, Mamkan, was the daughter of the last ruler of Artsakh’s southern Kingdom of Baghk. An inscription in the lower part of the khachkar reads: “I, Hasan, son of Vahtang, erected this cross [in memory of] my daughter Hatun, and on behalf of her mother, the Queen—daughter of the King of Baghk.” [12]

[12] Hewsen, Robert H. Armenia: A Historical Atlas. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, 2001, reference: Kingdom of Ktish-Baghk, p. 120

http://www.gandzasar.com/cathedral-o...hn-baptist.htm

Also..

Dizak (Armenian: Դիզակ), also known as Ktish after its main stronghold, was a medieval Armenian principality in the historical Artsakh and later one of the five melikdoms of Karabakh, which included the southern third of Khachen (present-day Nagorno-Karabakh) and from the 13th century also the canton of Baghk of Syunik[1]. The founder of this principality was Esayi abu-Muse, in the 9th century. In the 16-18th centuries Dizak was ruled by the Armenian Melik-Avanian dynasty, a branch of the House of Syunik-Khachen [1]. The seat of the princes of Dizak was the town of Togh (or Dogh) with the adjacent ancient fortress of Ktish. One of the last princes of Dizak, Esayi Melik-Avanian, was killed by Ibrahim Khalil Khan in 1781, after a long-lasting resistance in the fortress of Ktish.

Today the name "Dizak" is often used to refer to the province Hadrut of Nagorno-Karabakh Republic.

http://www.warontheeasternfront.com/...iew,mediawiki/
          Last edited by KanadaHye; 02-26-2010, 06:54 AM.
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
            I'm not sure how "Greater Baghk" relates to Karabakh combining Turkish and Armenian.
            That's exactly what I'm curious to know. I can't seem to find any information on how he comes to that conclusion. All my research links to the same thing it as on wikipedia. Still, though, thanks for the info you provided.

Comment

After I read the opening post of this thread, I went and checked a map of Urartu and found out that the region of Karabakh was called Kuhalbani. The -i is probably a suffix, so if we take Kuhalban, it sounds really similar to Karabakh, even all the vowels are in the same exact places. I know there is only so much you can decipher through name associations, but sometimes it can point you in the right direction. I don't know if Kuhalbani was the name of the region, or just the name of the dominant tribe of that region... either way its relevant information.

Other interesting things are that today's Siunik was known as Skiuti, Javakhk was known as Zarakha and Dsopk was known as Tsupani. Here is the map: http://www.armenian-history.com/imag...map-Tushpa.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ArmSurvival View Post
                After I read the opening post of this thread, I went and checked a map of Urartu and found out that the region of Karabakh was called Kuhalbani. The -i is probably a suffix, so if we take Kuhalban, it sounds really similar to Karabakh, even all the vowels are in the same exact places. I know there is only so much you can decipher through name associations, but sometimes it can point you in the right direction. I don't know if Kuhalbani was the name of the region, or just the name of the dominant tribe of that region... either way its relevant information.

Other interesting things are that today's Siunik was known as Skiuti, Javakhk was known as Zarakha and Dsopk was known as Tsupani. Here is the map: http://www.armenian-history.com/imag...map-Tushpa.jpg
                If you look to the south (where Kurdistan is generally placed in future maps as Goryene, Corduene, etc, is "Kurti." If you listen to Kurdish, you can easily sense a slight similarity between Kurdish and Armenian:
                Ez Kurd im - I am Kurd
                Yes Hay em - I am Armenian

I wouldn't be surprised if Kurds were also an ethnic minority in Urartu, who were later assimilated like Armenians (Kurti in a region later known as Kurdistan is similar to Hayasa being in a region known later as Pokr Hayastan/Hayk, or Urmenu and Arme in a region later known as Armenia).

Note that the regions usually accepted as Hayasa-Azzi have names that remind us of "Armenia" (Urmeayin, Ereshtuni [e.g.: Bagratuni]. I don't see it on this map, but there's Urmenu-hini and Arme in the region as well) (click here for more)

About Kuhalbani, it's sound, but very vague. It might have been a distortion of an ancient regional name that became associated with words existing in the Turkish and Farsi languages of the Turkoman(Kara/Ak Koyunlu) empire. That's the point of this thread. I'm putting the etymology of "Karabakh" to question for the same reason one would question the etymology of "Ankara," "Akdamar," "Islambol," etc. I'd like to, for once, look further into it. Does anyone know more about the research of Bagrat Ulubabyan?
                Last edited by SevSpitak; 03-01-2010, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Note that it's Ataturk's government that renamed regional names to the current Turkish names. Ankara was known as Angora until the 1920s. Akhtamar as well. Istanbul was known as Stanbolis, Bolis/Polis, Constantinople. The Turkish pronunciation of Stanbolis was Istanbol (like Sport = S[ı]por, Smyrna = Izmir). They carefully chose names that make the regions sound more "Turkish," which was also a policy applied to their language. Don't forget that Ottomans never really considered themselves "TURKISH," but Osmanli muslims. Turkish nationalism began in the 19th-20th centuries with the Young Turks, and they spread their nationalism to the Islamic Musavat party of the Caucasus. They, then, renamed themselves "Turkish Musavat Party" due to this, and followed the same pattern as their Young Turk counterparts in their pan-turanist Azerbaijani republic.

Therefore, I really don't have confidence in these modern names.
                  Last edited by SevSpitak; 03-01-2010, 12:31 PM.

Comment

I can't find anything on the net. I'm sure it's written in one of his books, probably "Artsakhi patmutyune" http://openlibrary.org/b/OL119004M

Originally posted by SevSpitak View Post
                    Don't forget that Ottomans never really considered themselves "TURKISH," but Osmanli muslims. Turkish nationalism began in the 19th-20th centuries with the Young Turks, and they spread their nationalism to the Islamic Musavat party of the Caucasus. They, then, renamed themselves "Turkish Musavat Party" due to this, and followed the same pattern as their Young Turk counterparts in their pan-turanist Azerbaijani republic.

Therefore, I really don't have confidence in these modern names.
                    I was also wondering why the french/english/italians called it the Ottoman Empire when it should be referred to as Osman Empire.
                    Last edited by KanadaHye; 03-01-2010, 12:08 PM.
                    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Working...
                    X