Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Wanted - book or website recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted - book or website recommendations

Can anyone recommend books or websites which describe everyday life in Turkish Armenia about 1900 or so (pre-genocide). I've found a good website where you can read books online.

Re: Wanted - book or website recommendations

I have a book in armenian "My Book" (im kirke) from
    Avedis Aharonian where he relates his adolescence
    it is the volume 2. It has been published in Paris in 1931.
    But I think it has been translated in english because Avedis
    Aharonian had a very great reputation. My father had him as professor in Bolis (Getronakan) and he had been sent to Paris for
    a very important meeting.

Comment

Thank you, Kiffer. I can't find it mentioned on Google, but I will look out for it.

Comment

I am sorry for having misunderstood your post. I can
        recommend you a very good book about Armenian life
        in Turkey about 1900, but it is a paper book, in armenian.
        The writer is Avedis Aharonian, and as he was a very
        famous intellectuel, I strongly suppose that his
        books have been translated in English. I hope you can
        find it as online book.
        I have other paper books about the way the Armenians
        lived about 1900 in Turkey. In which town are you
        Interested ?
        Good luck.

Comment

"AVEDIS AHARONIAN, born at Igtir, Erivan, in 1866, has written novels, short stories, literary criticisms, dramas and poems. At the time of Abdul Hamid’s massacres, he was living near the frontier between Turkey and Russia, and he saw the sufferings of the refugees, and took part in the relief work. His graphic tales, called out by these events, made a deep impression. While in the Caucasus a few years ago, he was imprisoned by the Russian government as a political offender, and he came out with broken health. His writings are highly esteemed "

Comment

It's an answer to a prayer - an exhibition in London of photos of Armenians living in Turkey 100 years ago. There will also be maps, artefacts etc. and videos.

My Dear Brother: Armenians in Turkey 100 Years Ago [/B]

1st May – 24th July 2010

An unusual exhibition opening at the Brunei Gallery, SOAS, “My Dear Brother: Armenians in Turkey 100 years ago”, provides fascinating insights into the life of the Armenians living in the borders of modern Turkey at the beginning of the 20th century through a large collection of postcards of daily life and scenery from across the region. The exhibition of both enlarged images and original postcards was conceived and put together by Osman Köker, based on his book by the same name (Istanbul: Birzamanlar, 2005).
            The postcards are from the collection of Orlando Carlo Calumeno and have been exhibited in Istanbul, Yerevan, Geneva, Paris, Munich, Cologne and Frankfurt. The Armenian Institute, London has organized the exhibition and accompanying events programme which are both sponsored by the St Sarkis Charity Trust and Diana and Panos Katsouris

Comment

Originally posted by Kiffer View Post
              I am sorry for having misunderstood your post. I can
              recommend you a very good book about Armenian life
              in Turkey about 1900, but it is a paper book, in armenian.
              The writer is Avedis Aharonian, and as he was a very
              famous intellectuel, I strongly suppose that his
              books have been translated in English. I hope you can
              find it as online book.
              I have other paper books about the way the Armenians
              lived about 1900 in Turkey. In which town are you
              Interested ?
              Good luck.
              Thanks, Kiffer. I'm interested in most areas, but mainly Adana and its surroundings. Your good luck worked! As you can see by my other post, I am hoping the exhibition of postcards etc in London will be of great help.

Comment

Concerning Adana, there is this excellant book 'Adanayi Hayots Badmutyun' by Puzant Yeghiaian printed by the Armenian Catholicosate of Cilicia printing house, which traces the daily life of Armenians and their customs in Adana before the AG, and there is also a very interesting whole chapter taken from the Arachnortaran diaries relating on a daily basis -mentionning names and dates- about all the persecutions and sufferings by the turks towards the armenians of Adana and the surrounding villages.
                Btw are your family rootes go back to Adana? our's yes, and our family name and members are mentioned in this book, and if you are, you can have the chance to find your family history as well.

Comment

From 1894 to 1900 there has been 72 earthquakes. (M. Fitzer) over there.

Comment

Originally posted by vasbourakan1 View Post
                    Concerning Adana, there is this excellant book 'Adanayi Hayots Badmutyun' by Puzant Yeghiaian printed by the Armenian Catholicosate of Cilicia printing house, which traces the daily life of Armenians and their customs in Adana before the AG, and there is also a very interesting whole chapter taken from the Arachnortaran diaries relating on a daily basis -mentionning names and dates- about all the persecutions and sufferings by the turks towards the armenians of Adana and the surrounding villages.
                    Btw are your family rootes go back to Adana? our's yes, and our family name and members are mentioned in this book, and if you are, you can have the chance to find your family history as well.
                    My father was from Adana - I don't know how far back the family goes in Cilicia. He was probably too young to be mentioned in the book, but his father's name was Manoug Chahbaz. The ian was probably dropped some time. He was a merchant, had some influence, and often went to Mersin to travel.

Comment

Working...
                    X