Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Obama and the normalization of Armenia's relations with Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama and the normalization of Armenia's relations with Turkey

WASHINGTON, ANKARA (RFE/RL)–U.S. President Barack Obama reaffirmed his strong support for the normalization of Armenia’s relations with Turkey in a weekend phone call with his Turkish counterpart Abdullah Gul.

The White House said Obama and Gul discussed on Saturday a range of issues of mutual interest, including the Turkish-Armenian agreements signed in Zurich on October 10.

“The two Presidents discussed the historic progress that is being made on normalization of relations between Turkey and Armenia, and the importance of maintaining the momentum in this important effort,” it said in a statement. No further details were reported.

The U.S. support for the process was underscored by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s presence at the signing ceremony in the Swiss city that was nearly disrupted by a last-minute dispute between the Armenian and Turkish foreign ministers. Obama was quick to praise Clinton for helping to work out a compromise arrangement that salvaged the deal.

Obama made a point of phoning President Serzh Sarkisian earlier this month during the latter’s tense visit to the United States aimed at explaining his conciliatory line on Turkey to the influential Armenian-American community. He praised Sarkisian’s “courageous leadership” and encouraged the Armenian leader to stay the course.

Both Clinton and other top U.S. officials said that the two states should establish diplomatic relations and open the Turkish-Armenian border “without preconditions and within a reasonable timeframe.” However, there were further indications on Monday that Ankara will not rush to ratify the agreements if the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains unresolved in the coming months.

Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said that his government will continue to unequivocally support Azerbaijan in the bitter dispute with Armenia. “Azeri soil is as sacred for us as our own and liberating this soil from occupation is one of our primary national issues,” Davutoglu told reporters in Ankara.

“Even if the skies fall down, Turkey’s position will not change… Our policy on ending the occupation… will continue until the problem is resolved,” he said, according to AFP.

Gul also sought to reassure Baku, which believes that an open border with Turkey would only strengthen the Armenians economically and thereby discourage them from seeking a solution to the Karabakh conflict. “The fact that a country is occupying the territory of another country is unacceptable,” he told the French magazine “L’Express” in an interview published on Monday.

The statements came amid Azerbaijan’s growing frustration with the Turkish government’s policy of rapprochement with its arch-foe. President Ilham Aliyev on Friday threatened to stop selling natural gas to Turkey at low prices and said Baku will consider routes other than Turkey to ship the gas to Europe. Also, media reports said Turkish flags were removed from a Baku cemetery, where Turkish soldiers who fought for Azerbaijan in the early 20th century are buried.

In his interview with “L’Express” cited by “Hurriyet Daily News,” Gul also indicated that Ankara would accept any verdict by a Turkish-Armenian “subcommission” of historians which the two governments plan to form as part of their accord. The panel is expected to look into the Armenian Genocide.

“Let a committee of historians, even experts of the subject from third countries, work on this issue. We will recognize its conclusions,” said the Turkish president.

The Armenian government insists that the subcommission would not be tasked with determining whether the massacres constituted a genocide, as that is already a fact. But its critics in Armenia and its worldwide Diaspora counter that the Turkish government would exploit the very existence of such a body to deter more countries, notably the U.S, from recognizing the crime against humanity perpetrated by Ottoman Turkey and denied by the current Turkish republic.

Gul chided the Armenian Diaspora for maintaining that Turkey must recognize the genocide before it can make peace with the Armenians. “The Armenians living in France are far from Armenia,” he said. “If they want to lend their support to the Armenians of Armenia, they must support the process.”

Posted By Asbarez Staff On October 19, 2009 @ 12:23 pm

Re: Obama and the normalization of Armenia's relations with Turkey

I want to ask something, what does Obama know about us, Armenians?! About what we have gone through throughout history?! Who made him the "boss"?! What does he have to do with this?! Why is he even bothering on, as they say in WA, "kituh chemcheyi bes gur xote"?!

frustrates me!!!!!

Comment

He probably doesn't know much, except that if a politician tells us he will fight for Genocide recognition we will ignore all other issues that that politician supports. The elites that run the country made him the 'boss', and he will do as he is told. And he is bothering with 'this' (assuming you mean the protocols with turkey) because his country wants to see the transfer of caspian oil and natural gas through a stable country, in this case, Armenia.
      For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
      to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Originally posted by Nanoushka View Post
        I want to ask something, what does Obama know about us, Armenians?! About what we have gone through throughout history?! Who made him the "boss"?! What does he have to do with this?! Why is he even bothering on, as they say in WA, "kituh chemcheyi bes gur xote"?!

frustrates me!!!!!
        Soros and friends made him president, he doesnt have to know anything, the usa needs oil routes that dont pass through russia so he is trying to create one through Armenia since the one in georgia is now unreliable. You should chek out older threads, all this info is in there.
        Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

frustrates me!!!!!
          He knows everything that has happened Nanoushka but as an elected President of a country his objectives are the interests of US foreign policy. Open boarder between Turkey/Armenia/ Azerbaijan with stability is what is desired not only by US but by an agreement between US, Europe, and Russia (our best friend).
          They all know what has happened and the only way to make them stop playing their AG card is to somehow for us to raise the stakes against Turkey.........and that will not happen if we fold our hand with these protocols.

Think of it this way, if US were to officially recognize the AG right now it would be like shooting itself in the foot. Without the airbases in Turkey they might as well forget about Iraq and Afghanistan. In fact they couldn’t even get out of those countries without the Incirlik Air base. And if we give up then why should day even care.
          Turkey is a strategic ally that they want in EU..........also a growing threat. They know Turkey very well.

Cheers.
          B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

I can't describe my anger...I feel injustice and us being once again rolled into a trap. Can't Serzh realize that countries around him want whatever is best for themselves and NOT for Armenia! Doesn't take an idiot to understand that!

sorry, I really feel awful!

Comment

I can't describe my anger...I feel injustice and us being once again rolled into a trap. Can't Serzh realize that countries around him want whatever is best for themselves and NOT for Armenia! Doesn't take an idiot to understand that!

You'll find a lot of people agreeing with you but some have the "there is no other way" attitude almost like "it was meant to be, it is out of our hands, there are greater powers at work". I can't disagree but I think the diaspora is more angry than the Armenian population which is what I find strange. Sort of how the whole world was more angry than Americans when Bush was elected for a second term.
              "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                You'll find a lot of people agreeing with you but some have the "there is no other way" attitude almost like "it was meant to be, it is out of our hands, there are greater powers at work". I can't disagree but I think the diaspora is more angry than the Armenian population which is what I find strange. Sort of how the whole world was more angry than Americans when Bush was elected for a second term.

So far the people holding the 'there is no other way' attitude as you claim, have brought up better arguments as to why this whole thing was started and what it aims to achieve than the hysteria many in the anti-protocol camp have.

Maybe the reason the Diaspora is more angry with the protocols than the citizens of Armenia, is because too many in the Diaspora see the Genocide and its recognition as a pillar of their Armenianess, so to speak. It is part of the victimhood mentality that we must get rid of as Armenians, if we want to move in a positive direction. turkey will not be punished by words but by deeds
                Also, I don't think those in Armenia care less about this issue, it's just that it is easier to complain about things and point out its flaws when you will not be the one facing the consequences.
                For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
                to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Not to worry, everything will turn out OK.

Plus, we have unfinished business before we go anywhere.
                  B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

What Obama 'wants' is to slice Armenia in two and force Armenia's surrender of Artsakh so he can drive a pipeline through the newly formed Turkey-Azerbaijan. It's out of Azeri-Turk fantasy films equivalent to those old fantasy books and films prior to ww1 where each power believed it could conquer its rivals and the world. Every day Obama stays in office is a shame in itself, Obama and Bush are the most corrupt (and possibly even racist) politicians in US history and I hope it doesn't get any worse.

Comment

Working...
                    X