Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenia and the information war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Armenia and the information war

Not only the punishment must be more severe (including dishonorable discharge after jail) the higher ranking officers must be held accountable as well for having no accountability. Furthermore pressure must not be put on conscripts to report (rat out) officers but the system must be adjusted with oversight and routine inspections and inquiries by other officers even if there is no reports of such bahavior.
    B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
      Should punishments like this become the norm i think we will see a huge improvement in our army. I think such incidents in general have declined and i hope they will be a thing of the past.
      Agree. Commanders who do this to their troops must pay. Bullying must stop. Most of these bullying commanders are the types of corpulent fat bastards that turn tail and run at the first shot. Like any military, it will never be perfect but the Armenian army cannot afford to remain this way and must strive to have a more westernized apparatus. The old Russian/Soviet way of running a military is brutal and degrading. As powerful as the Russians might be, their regular soldiers are miserable and treated like dirt.

If a soldier is weak they must find another job for him in the military in the medical corp, admin and support, logistics, supply, etc

If an Armenian mother and father are going to give their sons for military service to defend their country, the country must provide the right training, leadership, and accommodation so that man can truly serve.
      General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Kosovo Seeks Recognition from Armenia

NEW YORK (RFE/RL)–Kosovo’s Foreign Minister Skender Hyseni urged Armenia to recognize the mostly Albanian-populated territory’s independence from Serbia when he met with his Armenian counterpart, Edward Nalbandian, in New York late on Wednesday.
        The two men held talks there on the fringes of the ongoing session of the UN General Assembly.
        According to RFE/RL’s Balkan service, Hyseni called for a formal Armenian recognition of Kosovo as an independent state. He pointed to a July ruling by the International Court of Justice (ICJ) that upheld the legality of its secession from Serbia.
        Hyseni said that the ruling as well as a recent General Assembly resolution welcoming it meant that Armenia and other countries no longer have “any reason to delay with the recognition of the new country.”
        According to the Armenian Foreign Ministry, Nalbandian reaffirmed Yerevan’s positive reaction to the non-binding ICJ judgment. A ministry statement quoted him as saying that the UN court thereby made clear that peoples’ right to self-determination to “can not be subordinate to any other principle.”
        Armenian leaders hope that the ruling will strengthen their case for similar international recognition of the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic. They have repeatedly described it as “unprecedented.”
        Still, Armenia has been in no rush to recognize Kosovo’s independence, not least because Russia, its closest ally, is strongly opposed to that. Nalbandian on Wednesday gave no indication that his government may soon reconsider this cautious line. He was reported to say only that Yerevan will continue “useful” contacts with Kosovar leaders.
        Serbia lost control of Kosovo in 1999 when a NATO bombing campaign brought an end to a war between Serbian forces and ethnic Albanian separatists in the region. UN Security Council Resolution 1244 set up a temporary UN administration for Kosovo. Although the United Nations Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK) still exists, it has had a minor role since 2008.
        On February 17, 2008, Kosovo’s newly elected ethnic Albanian lawmakers and president issued their unilateral declaration of independence — a move contested by Belgrade as a violation of international law and of Serbia’s territorial integrity. Kosovo’s independence has been recognized by 69 countries — including the United States and many European Union member states.

So get this, Armenia is russia's biatch, so recognizing kosovo would be embarrasing for it, not to mention prolly worsening ties to Serbia, which Armenia buy arms from. On the other hand, this "right for self determination" principle that Armenia seems to preach because of NKR. And the Armenian goverment doesn't even want to recognize NKR as an independant state. so which is it, Armenia? You can't play this political game forever.

Comment

Originally posted by arakeretzig View Post
          http://asbarez.com/85726/kosovo-seek...-from-armenia/

So get this, Armenia is russia's biatch, so recognizing kosovo would be embarrasing for it, not to mention prolly worsening ties to Serbia, which Armenia buy arms from. On the other hand, this "right for self determination" principle that Armenia seems to preach because of NKR. And the Armenian goverment doesn't even want to recognize NKR as an independant state. so which is it, Armenia? You can't play this political game forever.
          You can play any game you want in politics because realpolitik is the only constant law. Armenia's official position is that it cannot recognise any new countries before it resolves its own issue in Artsakh. Unofficially, Armenia does not recognise Kosovo because it does not want to upset relations with Serbia and more importantly, Russia. If we were "Russia's biatch", then we'd recognise Abkhazia and South Ossetia too. Again, the official reason for our non-recognition of those two is we still have Artsakh to resolve before we even consider anyone else. Unofficially, Armenia can't spoil relations with Georgia.

The reason why Armenia does not recognise Artsakh is because if it does before peace negotiations are complete, it will be deemed a black sheep in the international community and viewed as an aggressor. Only two ways we can recognise Artsakh: Azerbaijan attacks it or peace talks are exhausted and we get the green light from Russia to recognise.
          Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Also by not recognizing Artsagh we prevent it from officialy declaring its fighting force thus keeping our enemies in the dark. I do believe we should annex it one of these days and make it a province vs a seperate state.
            Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
              Also by not recognizing Artsagh we prevent it from officialy declaring its fighting force thus keeping our enemies in the dark. I do believe we should annex it one of these days and make it a province vs a seperate state.
              I used to think we should eventually just annex it as well but Kosovo's independence made me change my mind. I mean, I would still support annexation but I think there is more to be gained from Artsakh being de-jure separate. Just look at Kosovo and Albania. Kosovo IS Albanian and they even share a border. Would make sense for the latter to swallow it up eventually but I don't see that happening, not only for obvious political reasons but because Kosovo and Albania, united in reality, would get two separate seats for every organisation they join meaning twice the power in a "one nation, two states" kind of way.

This would be the case for Armenia and Artsakh as well but even better because Yerevan's ties with Stepanakert are even more symbiotic than Tirana's ties with Pristina. Whether we admit it or not, de facto Artsakh is almost fully dependent on Armenia for its survival. There is pretty much no difference between its armies as men in the Armenian army are sent to Artsakh to serve, we share intelligence, arms etc. What would eventually interest me is not that we'd get two seats in the UN or what not but the Treaty on Conventional Arms. When we reach that level of recognition, we will be, by law, allowed to have twice as much arms as any of our neighbours and since our armies are (and will always be) attached to one another, we gain to win from this as one nation, two states.

But of course, whether we eventually choose to annex it or leave it independent, we're gonna have to play out this independence charade for awhile for the international community. Once we get our independence, perhaps a referendum on uniting with Armenia or not could be put to vote. Either way, we come out as winners.

Comment

Azeris Accuse Karabakh of Denying Them Water
                Farmers say they are unable to irrigate substantial area of agricultural land.
                By Samira Ahmedbeyli - Caucasus
                CRS Issue 600,
                24 Sep 10

Azeri farmers living near territory held by Armenian troops complain that the authorities in Nagorny Karabakh deliberately deny them water.

In Soviet times, much of western Azerbaijan was dependent for irrigation on reservoirs that are now controlled by Armenian forces loyal to Nagorny Karabakh.

The Karabakh conflict is still unsettled, with Armenians insisting it is independent and Azerbaijan considering it a rogue province. That means the two sides do not coordinate use of water from the crucial Terter river.

“We cannot use all our land, since there is not enough water for watering the fields. We only just have enough for drinking, and that’s because we have learned to economise in the last 20 years, so how can we talk about watering the fields,” said Maqsud Zaalov, a resident of the village of Tapqaraqoyunlu, which is close to the frontline in the Goranboy region.

His problem is typical for the whole region.

“At the moment, of the 33,000 hectares, we are only using 22,000 ha for the yearly harvest. The rest of the land is not being used because of the lack of water,” said Yakub Mammadov, the main adviser to the Goraboy region administration on agricultural issues.

After its construction in 1976, the Sarsang reservoir supplied water to six regions of Azerbaijan. It had the capacity to hold 560 million cubic metres of water. Having lost control of it, the Azeris also lost the ability to irrigate 10,000 ha of land. Apart from Sarsang, Armenians also hold several other reservoirs with capacity of 80 million m3.

Ahmad Ahmadzade, chairman of the Melioration and Water Management company, accused the Karabakh authorities of deliberately denying water to farmers in Azerbaijan, in a game that could have catastrophic consequences.

“In summer and winter, when the demand for water increases in the downstream regions, the Armenian side cuts off the water running out of the reservoir. And as a result of the level of water rising above the allowed level, the dam could rupture and as a minimum six regions could end up under water,” he said.

Catastrophic floods this spring in Azerbaijan affected five regions, destroying much of the country’s harvest. As a result, the Sarsang reservoir has been discussed at the highest level.

“At times of high water, the Armenians exploit the situation and aggravate conditions in downstream regions. At first they cut off the water, fill Sarsang above regulation levels, and then all at once release water to our side,” said Huseyn Bagirov, Azerbaijan’s natural resources and environment minster.

“The Armenians are continuing their total war with ecological methods. Normally the water flow in the river is about 3-5 m3 a second. But then they suddenly release water, it comes to 80-90 m3 a second.”

David Babayan, a water expert in Karabakh and head of the information service of the unrecognised state’s president, denied the authorities there used the Sarsang dam to punish Azeris. He said Karabakh used the dam to meet its own requirements.

“We use it to produce electricity as well as to irrigate the region. During winter we are producing electricity and during this period the water flows, and during the summer we keep the water in the reservoir. No one holds back the water of the Terter intentionally. We use the water and do it for objective reasons, because the water is used for electricity production,” he said.

He said the Karabakh authorities had proposed that they jointly exploit the Sarsang dam together with the Baku government, but that all their offers had been refused.

“They said they have oil and are not interested in the cotton harvest and production in those regions. Thus the Azerbaijan authorities should blame themselves. If they want to take steps for mutual confidence we will avoid this problem,” he said.

The Azeri foreign ministry said it did not negotiate with the self-proclaimed Karabakh government, and thus there had been nothing to discuss.

“A suggestion from a non-existent legal entity does not sound serious. Azerbaijan’s territories are occupied by Armenia. At the moment, talks are going on to regulate the conflict, and the internationally-recognised sides of the talks are Azerbaijan and Armenian, and the mediators are Russia, the United States and France. There is nothing to add to this,” said Elkhan Polukhov, a ministry spokesman.

Bagirov said that, however, that since there was clearly no imminent prospect of the conflict resolving itself or confidence-building measures being taken, Azerbaijan should build new reservoirs to resolve the problems of drought and floods.

A resolution to the problem cannot come too soon for those ordinary villagers.

“This summer I lost my harvest on seven ha. I put my last money into planting wheat. But because of the drought, and a lack of water to irrigate it, my family has been left without a penny, and I don’t know how I’m going to support them,” said Vasif Agacanov, a resident of the village of Qapanli in the Terter region.

Samira Ahmedbeyli is an IWPR staff reporter. Sara Khojoyan, IWPR’s country director in Armenia, contributed to this story.

Comment

If Karekin II does not understand politics, he should stay out of it and stick to his religious duties. He is becoming a tool for Azerbaijani propaganda.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  From front line to Holy Echmiadzin: Armenian Catholicos asked for mediation

His Holiness Karekin II has urged President Serzh Sargsyan to return to Azerbaijan the body of slain Azeri soldier Mubariz Ibrahimov, a member of a team of soldiers who attacked Armenian forces in the village of Chaylu, Martakert, Nagorno-Karabakh in June.

According to a statement issued by the press service of the Holy See of Echmiadzin, in early September Patriarch Kiril I of Moscow and All Russia appealed to Karekin II on behalf of Leader of Muslims in the Caucasus, Sheikh-ul-Islam Allahshukur Pasha-Zade.

Ibrahimov was killed in a skirmish June 18, during which four Armenian troops were killed and four wounded.
                  The Echmiadzin statement issued September 27 was not conciliatory.

“The Armenian side will always be ready to discuss such petitions if Azerbaijan, in its turn, expresses readiness to discuss those problems by means of recovering an effective collaboration, remaining faithful to the demands of international humanitarian law,” the statement says.

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
                    If Karekin II does not understand politics, he should stay out of it and stick to his religious duties. He is becoming a tool for Azerbaijani propaganda.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    From front line to Holy Echmiadzin: Armenian Catholicos asked for mediation

His Holiness Karekin II has urged President Serzh Sargsyan to return to Azerbaijan the body of slain Azeri soldier Mubariz Ibrahimov, a member of a team of soldiers who attacked Armenian forces in the village of Chaylu, Martakert, Nagorno-Karabakh in June.

According to a statement issued by the press service of the Holy See of Echmiadzin, in early September Patriarch Kiril I of Moscow and All Russia appealed to Karekin II on behalf of Leader of Muslims in the Caucasus, Sheikh-ul-Islam Allahshukur Pasha-Zade.

Ibrahimov was killed in a skirmish June 18, during which four Armenian troops were killed and four wounded.
                    The Echmiadzin statement issued September 27 was not conciliatory.

“The Armenian side will always be ready to discuss such petitions if Azerbaijan, in its turn, expresses readiness to discuss those problems by means of recovering an effective collaboration, remaining faithful to the demands of international humanitarian law,” the statement says.

http://armenianow.com/news/24928/arm..._azeri_soldier
                    Agree.
                    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

David Babayan: it’s NKR that Azerbaijan has to ask for the body of the killed, not Armenia
                      September 27, 2010 - 17:25 AMT 12:25 GMT
                      PanARMENIAN.Net - Azerbaijan spares no efforts to present the transfer of Azeri ensign Mubariz Ibragimov’s body as a political issue, according to the head of the Central Information Department of the NKR President’s Office David Babayan.

“The body of the Azeri subversive lies in no one’s land, it’s the line of contact of NKR and Azeri armed forces. Earlier, All Armenian Catholocos, by the request of the Patriarch of Moscow, addressed Armenian president to assist in the transfer of the body.”

“Seeking to involve Armenia in the issue, Azerbaijan is trying to insinuate that Ibrahimov might be killed by an Armenian soldier. Such an action can only by characterized as a provocation. It’s NKR that Azerbaijan has to ask for the body of the killed, and not Armenia,” Babayan said, noting that inadequate perception of reality is prevalent in Baku.

A subversive attack of the Azerbaijani armed forces at the village of Chaylu was prevented by Nagorno Karabakh servicemen on June 18. As result of a close combat, the Azerbaijanis retreated, leaving ensign Mubariz Ibrahimov killed.

Comment

Working...
                      X