Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Originally posted by ArmeniaSacra View Post
    I was just about to post this...you did that before me

An interesting perspective...one more thing btw...the falling oil prices should be good news for us and hopefully bad new for the azeris! The the oil prices are down by almost half...IMF is predicting 3.5% growth for Azerbaijan in 2015...while the Azeris are increasing their military budget but 25%...! this is actually excellent...means more resources will be spent on a corrupt army instead of being directed towards economic development...which in my opinion would be a much bigger threat!
    The Oil falling is more important than any military, political, economic development out there. It could be the biggest development for our nations well being. I think the IMF prediction was made before most recent, more extreme decline. In October, the Azeris had to adjust their 2015 budget from oil being based on $100/barrel to $90. Well now the price of Brent is $70/Barrel. Despite the various attempts at manipulating numbers such as saying "oil only account for 45% of economy", or "non-energy sector growing", the bottom undeniable fact is oil accounts for about 74% of all government revenue. http://www.academia.edu/8149729/Why_...an_in_English_
    Given the fact that year-to-year oil prices are down roughly 33% and that oil account for 74% of the economy, Azerbaijan will be receiving 25% less revenue in the upcoming year. That's 9 billion dollars. They can't cut the budget because it will cause panic and mass civil unrest. So they'll have to tap into their SOCAR Oil Fund which officially stand under 30 billion dollars, but most likely significantly less. When this fund runs out is when real instability will start. But let's just say if prices stay where they are for the next 12 months (which most predictions says they will), Azerbaijan won't be talking as big.

Comment

Originally posted by Artashes View Post
      Are you trying to understand Forbes? Lol.
      You are trying to understand propaganda??
      If you are seeking actual truth, don't go to Forbes for an accurate understanding of world events.
      Haha I don't really like Forbes. Like you said, they like talking bs

Comment

Is azerbaijan using this?

Comment

Originally posted by Mher View Post
          The Oil falling is more important than any military, political, economic development out there. It could be the biggest development for our nations well being. I think the IMF prediction was made before most recent, more extreme decline. In October, the Azeris had to adjust their 2015 budget from oil being based on $100/barrel to $90. Well now the price of Brent is $70/Barrel. Despite the various attempts at manipulating numbers such as saying "oil only account for 45% of economy", or "non-energy sector growing", the bottom undeniable fact is oil accounts for about 74% of all government revenue. http://www.academia.edu/8149729/Why_...an_in_English_
          Given the fact that year-to-year oil prices are down roughly 33% and that oil account for 74% of the economy, Azerbaijan will be receiving 25% less revenue in the upcoming year. That's 9 billion dollars. They can't cut the budget because it will cause panic and mass civil unrest. So they'll have to tap into their SOCAR Oil Fund which officially stand under 30 billion dollars, but most likely significantly less. When this fund runs out is when real instability will start. But let's just say if prices stay where they are for the next 12 months (which most predictions says they will), Azerbaijan won't be talking as big.

While this is great news for Armenia, lets remember who this is affecting greatly: Russia. Russia is predicted to hit a recession in 2015, possibly slightly effecting states dependent on their economy. We might experience some migrant issues, along with currency issues.

This is a bit of a problem for Azerbaijan, considering they will have to dip into reserves for their insane spending

Fun fact: Azerbaijani exports, are dominated by crude petroleum, making up 87% of exports in 2012, thats 9% more than Saudi Arabia.

Of course, but its basically an upgraded version of the BRDM-2. What they basically did in this vehicle, is fix it. They fixed all the armor and fire power issues that vehicle had, but as I explained a while ago, its not much of a problem. Armenian BTR-70s are basically its match firepower wise, thats if they had 80mm rockets. In the long run, they only have around a small number of these, and they probably wont see much combat. We barely know if this thing is fully operational and not a prototype or in testing. To be honest, they are attempting to fix a severly flawed Soviet design. Its better to abandon the project
          Armenian colony of Glendale will conquer all of California!

Comment

This has absaloutly nothing to do with this thread, but u guys should read this. I find it to very very interesting. Wish american tv would pay a little more attention to stuff like this

Mesopotamia’s Civilization Originated in Armenia Shengavit (official website): http://www2.widener.edu/~msrothma/shengavitweb2.html ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chubs View Post
              While this is great news for Armenia, lets remember who this is affecting greatly: Russia. Russia is predicted to hit a recession in 2015, possibly slightly effecting states dependent on their economy. We might experience some migrant issues, along with currency issues.

This is a bit of a problem for Azerbaijan, considering they will have to dip into reserves for their insane spending
              One other thing to note though, before this whole price decline, Azerbaijan reserves were expected to decrease significantly in the coming years. It's officially predicted at -2% a year, but a lot of other reports expect it to be much more critical than that.

But yeah it's a complex situation. But the light short term damage to Armenia is not nearly as bad as what Azerbaijan has coming
              Putin has painted him into a corner and I don't see how he gets out of it. Based on $80/barrel they are projecting a 2015 recession and GDP shrinkage of -0.8%. And that's being generous. Their predicted worse case scenario of $60/barrel would lead to -3.5 to -4% GDP shrinkage. It's in a lot of trouble economically, and with oil prices expected to hover where they are for the immediate future, i don't see how he gets out of it on his own terms. The ideal situation would be for both sides to realize they need each other. Ukraine is a total mess verging on complete economic and political collapse, and simply can't get out of it without finding a middle ground with Russia. I feel like Putin would now love this option, but he has lost control over the rebels and can't reign them in.

I don't know how this bodes for the Armenian economy. It's very depressing that despite some positive economic steps by our government in recent years, a lot of it is going to wash away because of the fact that as a small landlocked country we're so vulnerable to up and downs in neighboring countries. Beyond geography, its a result of an economy that is significantly dependent of remittance and has a large trade deficit. Again though so much of this dependence on Russia is also based Armenia facing that military threat and needing Russian aid and not being able to have a more balanced foreign policy. With a decline to the baboons we can hope to see that change.

Comment

One other thing to note though, before this whole price decline, Azerbaijan reserves were expected to decrease significantly in the coming years. It's officially predicted at -2% a year, but a lot of other reports expect it to be much more critical than that.

But yeah it's a complex situation. But the light short term damage to Armenia is not nearly as bad as what Azerbaijan has coming
                Putin has painted him into a corner and I don't see how he gets out of it. Based on $80/barrel they are projecting a 2015 recession and GDP shrinkage of -0.8%. And that's being generous. Their predicted worse case scenario of $60/barrel would lead to -3.5 to -4% GDP shrinkage. It's in a lot of trouble economically, and with oil prices expected to hover where they are for the immediate future, i don't see how he gets out of it on his own terms. The ideal situation would be for both sides to realize they need each other. Ukraine is a total mess verging on complete economic and political collapse, and simply can't get out of it without finding a middle ground with Russia. I feel like Putin would now love this option, but he has lost control over the rebels and can't reign them in.

I don't know how this bodes for the Armenian economy. It's very depressing that despite some positive economic steps by our government in recent years, a lot of it is going to wash away because of the fact that as a small landlocked country we're so vulnerable to up and downs in neighboring countries. Beyond geography, its a result of an economy that is significantly dependent of remittance and has a large trade deficit. Again though so much of this dependence on Russia is also based Armenia facing that military threat and needing Russian aid and not being able to have a more balanced foreign policy. With a decline to the baboons we can hope to see that change.

What's the thing I hate about armenia. The economy sucks,
                And so it doesn't attract any people.

Comment

It seems as if sanctions have done nothing to the Russian economy, at least the ones imposed by Western sanctions. It really does seem as if oil price drop, is the main root cause of all this. Its insane, how dependent the world's nations are on oil...I mean, the US went to war, killing hundreds of thousands of people and occupied a country for it.

Hopefully Armenia might see at least one thing positive from this. The crude birth rates have increased slightly this year due to a better economic atmosphere compared to previous years, hopefully it will keep growing despite this setback.

I doubt this will effect defense spending and I doubt it will put much of a dent in GDP. I dont know what the average payment is for migrant workers in Russia. i would assume its anywhere between 5k-15k rubles, which translates to 40k-120k drams, which if people in Armenia are working at the very least slightly part time, than that would be still a plentiful bonus. Would this force migrants back to Armenia if the ruble keeps falling?

Anyways, Armenia seems to be on track with military modernization so far. It seems as if the budget is filled up with deals spanning the next year or so. If that PT72U deal went through (only one outlet said it wasn't, and MoD did not confirm nor deny it), Armenia should have 54 PT72U tanks by now. Considering Armenia has like 300-400, its not hard to conceal at all. Maybe we might see them in the parade, maybe we wont, but one thing is for sure, cooperation with Poland must continue, they just might be our ticket to defense if Tsar Putin decides to drop us.
                  Armenian colony of Glendale will conquer all of California!

Comment

The Police Force of Armenia carried out professional and tactical exercises in Metsamor city, in the area of the nuclear power plant.

Comment

The decline of the azeris will not have as much of a positive effect on Armenia as you may think. It may even have a negative impact. A inevitable economic collapse of azerbadjan will lead to government change. Without a nest egg to protect and armed to the teeth this country will be more dangerous. The only power which can and probably will keep it under control is Russia.
                      Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Working...
                      X