Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

So I was just day-dreaming today about the different possible scenarios that would settle the Artsakh issue. Different thoughts eventually led me to think "what if we had Russian "peacekeepers" in Artsakh?"

I don't know if it has been considered since the South Ossetia war but it surely worked out for them! Within the first hour of the war, Russian "peacekeepers" came under attack and boom, Russia was involved... sending in land forces and helping the Ossetians achieve simple victory with minimal losses (comparing to a longer war that might've taken place) and Russian recognition. Just a thought that I thought would be cool to discuss.

What does everyone else think? Any opinions if this might be good or bad?
    Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
      So I was just day-dreaming today about the different possible scenarios that would settle the Artsakh issue. Different thoughts eventually led me to think "what if we had Russian "peacekeepers" in Artsakh?"

I don't know if it has been considered since the South Ossetia war but it surely worked out for them! Within the first hour of the war, Russian "peacekeepers" came under attack and boom, Russia was involved... sending in land forces and helping the Ossetians achieve simple victory with minimal losses (comparing to a longer war that might've taken place) and Russian recognition. Just a thought that I thought would be cool to discuss.

What does everyone else think? Any opinions if this might be good or bad?
      I don't think this would be a good idea because Russian - Azeri relations are not bad (as compared to Russian - Georgian relations leading up to he war).

In short, Russia really had no option but to take S. Ossetia's side 100% because Georgia was 100% anti-Russian. With that said, you have to factor in that Russia could strike a deal with Azerbaijan that would be against Armenian interests...especially since Azerbaijan has oil and gas.

In short, the only way it would be a good idea to have Rusiian peacekeepers in Artsakh is if Azerbaijan becomes as anti-Russian as Georgia is/was.

Comment

Russia offered to put in Peace keepers back in the early 90's and have reiterated their offer a number of times, Armenia agreed each time but Azerbaijan refuted. Its already been though up and its a no go.

As for the demographic situation in Armenia, you can look it up on the CIA factbook.... Population growth is still negative but expected to stabilize in the next year or two. They update their information quite often, they are unbiased and you can use the same database to compare us to Georgia and Azerbaijan (Actually I did that just the other day). Azerbaijan population growth is + but nothing special.

Oh and those K-3's are bad ass..... I had no idea! Do you have any more pictures or information on them??

Comment

If Russians are playing the role of a legitimate peace keeping force what would be the objection from the Azeris? They would prefer to have no peacekeepers to keep the military option alive?

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
            So I was just day-dreaming today about the different possible scenarios that would settle the Artsakh issue. Different thoughts eventually led me to think "what if we had Russian "peacekeepers" in Artsakh?" ... What does everyone else think? Any opinions if this might be good or bad?
            Well, if Armenia was seeking to join the Russian Federation (something I personally would seriously consider) Moscow would consider stationing Russian "peacekeepers" on the territory of Artsakh, otherwise Moscow would never do it because it trying very hard to keep a strategically very significant Baku within its orbit. Another scenario that would pit Russia against Azerbaijan would be, like Crusader said, if Baku suddenly became anti-Russian. However, there is virtually no chance for that happening, especially now after what happened in Georgia.
            Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
              Well, if Armenia was seeking to join the Russian Federation (something I personally would seriously consider) Moscow would consider stationing Russian "peacekeepers" on the territory of Artsakh, otherwise Moscow would never do it because it trying very hard to keep a strategically very significant Baku within its orbit. Another scenario that would pit Russia against Azerbaijan would be, like Crusader said, if Baku suddenly became anti-Russian. However, there is virtually no chance for that happening, especially now after what happened in Georgia.
              This is where I depart with you, Armenian. Enlighten me with your reasoning for wanting to join the Russian Federation. Armenians must work for Azad, Angakh yev Miatsial Hayasdan, not an "Official Armenian Oblast of the Russian Federation".

Comment

Join the RF? WTF!
                This is the only time I will say a dashnak statement: Azadoutioun Gam Mah!
                Once your in their grip theres not coming out.

Independent Armenia 4 Ever!

Comment

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
                  This is where I depart with you, Armenian. Enlighten me with your reasoning for wanting to join the Russian Federation. Armenians must work for Azad, Angakh yev Miatsial Hayasdan, not an "Official Armenian Oblast of the Russian Federation".
                  Sometimes my frustrations regarding Armenia and Armenians overtake me. I am glad you disagree with me on this matter, and I greatly respect you for it. For most of my adult life I also thought and felt like you. My observations during the last several years, however, began to change my mind somewhat regarding our self rule; and Levon Petrosian's bloody fiasco early this year basically confirmed what I had already strongly suspected, namely that we Armenians (in our current state) are not able to effectively/efficiently govern ourselves in a very complex and volatile geopolitical region like the Caucasus. In short, I'm tired of Armenia's poverty, I'm tired of Armenia's lack of longterm security, I am tired of Armenia's petty yet serious internal disputes, I am tired of facing multitudes of hungry wolves in our nasty neighborhood all by ourselves... We might find our security, peace, stability and prosperity in some form of a union with the Russian Federation, perhaps in a confederation with them. I'm still a staunch nationalist, but I guess with a twist... Believe me, I am depressed that I feel this way. In my opinion, the next ten-twenty years will be crucial/pivotal for Armenia. If we can't have a serious breakthrough, if we continue remaining in our obscure and endangered position, I would theoretically support some form of a union with the Russian Federation. I rather be a part of the Russian Federation than continue being a tiny, landlocked, endangered, impoverished, third world state constantly seeking handouts and help... I hope I am wrong but ազատ անկախ և միացյալ Հայաստան sounds good and exciting but it may not become a realty for us in the foreseeable future. I guess my personal take on this matter comes from many years of dealing with self-hating and/or ignorant Armenians, taking into serious concideration the xxxxed-up geopolitical situation of world in general and the Caucasus region in particular, taking into concideration our wonderful neighbors, the severe lack of national assets, etc... But I have not given up yet. Like I said, the next ten-twenty years will be revealing.
                  Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Interesting responses.

I don't think that Georgia was anti-Russian when the peacekeepers were initially deployed in Abkhazia and South Ossetia. Russian peacekeepers in Artsakh is strategic for Russia. First, it clears up its name in the Caucasus to the rest of the world. Second, it will deter any baboon attempt at attack. Third, if (when?) the baboons attack, the peacekeepers will be forced to react (keep the peace ) to which they will get shot at. This will be the perfect pretext for Russia's control of not only the BTC pipeline but the less-known Baku-Supsa pipeline as well. In case you did not know, those two pipelines are within firing range of Artsakh and since the alleged summer operation which Armenian detailed about, we are now even closer. The drunk Boris Yeltsin's gift to Armenia (a dozen SCUDS) are aimed at it too

Russia doesn't really need to explain itself to anyone, let alone Azerbaboonjan. But anyway, it's not really taking sides is it? They ARE peacekeepers making sure no hostilities return as long as those (useless) peace talks continue . We don't need the baboons' consent whether to deploy Russian "peacekeepers" or not. This is defeatist mentality that we keep going back to. We freakin' won the war yet we're gonna take a 'no' from the fake republic and just agree?
                    Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
                      Sometimes my frustrations regarding Armenia and Armenians overtake me. I am glad you disagree with me on this matter, and I greatly respect you for it. For most of my adult life I also thought and felt like you. My observations during the last several years, however, began to change my mind somewhat regarding our self rule; and Levon Petrosian's bloody fiasco early this year basically confirmed what I had already strongly suspected, namely that we Armenians (in our current state) are not able to effectively/efficiently govern ourselves in a very complex and volatile geopolitical region like the Caucasus. In short, I'm tired of Armenia's poverty, I'm tired of Armenia's lack of longterm security, I am tired of Armenia's petty yet serious internal disputes, I am tired of facing multitudes of hungry wolves in our nasty neighborhood all by ourselves... We might find our security, peace, stability and prosperity in some form of a union with the Russian Federation, perhaps in a confederation with them. I'm still a staunch nationalist, but I guess with a twist... Believe me, I am depressed that I feel this way. In my opinion, the next ten-twenty years will be crucial/pivotal for Armenia. If we can't have a serious breakthrough, if we continue remaining in our obscure and endangered position, I would theoretically support some form of a union with the Russian Federation. I rather be a part of the Russian Federation than continue being a tiny, landlocked, endangered, impoverished, third world state constantly seeking handouts and help... I hope I am wrong but ազատ անկախ և միացյալ Հայաստան sounds good and exciting but it may not become a realty for us in the foreseeable future. I guess my personal take on this matter comes from many years of dealing with self-hating and/or ignorant Armenians, taking into serious concideration the xxxxed-up geopolitical situation of world in general and the Caucasus region in particular, taking into concideration our wonderful neighbors, the severe lack of national assets, etc... But I have not given up yet. Like I said, the next ten-twenty years will be revealing.
                      This is a very interesting view and is very reasoned. However, I think we should only go to that extreme if we are between a rock and a hard place i.e. in a similar position as we were post-Genocide. I agree that I want to be free, but I also don't want to see my people die from starvation like a 3rd world country either. I think Armenia is far off from a 'point of no-return' but that something definitely needs to change so that we can improve.

Comment

Working...
                      X