Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

“Cease Fire” Defined Up Close: A personal journey to grandma and reality

Photolure

By GOHAR ABRAHAMYAN
    ArmeniaNow reporter
    E-mail to friend | (0) Comments | Print |
    READERS' COMMENTS
    Would you like to post a comment ? Be the first to share your thoughts.
    Post a comment
    Comments are welcomed and encouraged. However, comments not pertaining to the topic or containing slander or offensive language will be deleted. You have to be registered to be able leave your comment. Sign in or Register now for free.
    Peace ends where the Armenian-Azeri border starts …

This is not a theoretical assumption, but a reality I experienced myself.

Finding myself amidst Azeri gun fire in Aygepar village, Tavush province, last week, I realized once more with all disturbing clarity that the war continues despite the ceasefire regime which, I now know for sure, exists on paper only.

Enlarge Photo

Enlarge Photo
    The once industrial lively settlement Aygepar today reminds of a military ground with an army unit in the village and frontline border positions where the village ends.

The Aygepar road stretches only 300 meters from the border and the not-so friendly neighbor country sends an accompaniment of shots and bullets to passing vehicles, drivers of which try to speed away without stopping.

In such a vicinity to the Armenian-Azeri border thoughts get tangled within a mixture of sentiments on what’s life or death, motherland and enemy, neighbor and friend.

Carried away by such thoughts for a moment I mentally went back to a day a few months ago when during a presentation by one peacemaker organization we were lectured on the importance of friendly attitudes to neighbor countries. Back to reality I asked the driver to stop on the border road between the two countries for the sake of understanding how tolerant our “neighbors” are.

Along the border, abandoned pastures stretch that for two decades now have been minefields, thus a forbidden danger zone. Mighty mountains of my fatherland – so loyal, so reliable - were guarding my back, Azeri Alibeily village (Tovuz region) opened to my view in all its splendor of abundant greenery, tall and slim poplars, and neat rows of two-storey houses.

It was an ordinary early-spring rural evening in Alibeily; empty streets, chimney smoke. Standing in the no-man’s land between the two villages I was trying to absorb the serenity typical of only villages. I was enjoying the silence, the peace… Two villages, residents of which only two decades ago knew each other by name, paying visits to one another’s place, helping each other, sharing food at the same table… They could hardly have imagined a day when they’d raise guns against each other.

Did I say peace? Yes, my mind was still drifting in peace lulled by clean air and tranquility of the scenery…a gunshot broke the almost tangible silence and peace was violated. After the second shot one of the Armenian frontier guards there started running towards me shouting to quickly hide in a tank trench.

“What was that?” I asked in shock.

“What was it? It was your enemy,” was the reply. “Wait until it’s dark, then we’ll move, it’s too dangerous now,” the border guard told me.

The enemy seemed so far away when I was in Yerevan. The same enemy whose bullets had killed my uncles, still very young, whose shells had razed to ground my grandfather’s house, the enemy because of whom tears never stop blurring my grandmother’s eyes.

We waited for the cover of night. The moon was hiding behind the mountains as if trying to give us a safe road in the darkness that had turned into a natural shield protecting us; the car had turned off its lights and was navigating its way to Nerkin Karmiraghbyur (“inner red spring”) village.

The tension of that trip brought new thoughts, this time more mature, more clearly shaped: what used to be a neighbor country turned into an odious enemy. And as I kept thinking I felt anger overwhelmed me when recalling how they say the same thing is happening on the other side of the border as well…

In Nerkin Karmiraghbyur, border village in Tavush province, 250 km from Yerevan, for a decade now my eighty-year old grandma (my mother’s mother) has been living in a house ruined by the war. I visit her on every holiday when there are a few days off.

Many treat my frequent visits to this dangerous zone as insanity; to me it’s a call of patriotism, because it is here, right in front of the enemy, trapped between life and death is where true Armenia begins.

My last visit was for the March 8 Women’s Day.

Time seems to have stopped in this border village somewhere around late last century. Walls of houses and factories burned and ruined from non-ceasing gunfire, bullet traces, roads lined with trenches, the sounds of shots in the air, are a proof of the war of not so distant past and the disturbed border of the present.

Politics is silent here, except for campaign seasons. So are international peacekeeping organizations, because people to whom life under gunfire has become a routine are having a hard time preaching peace, tolerance and brotherly love for neighbor countries.

Nerkin Karmiraghbyur was dormant that day, so tranquil, so serene, and so harmonious to the spring holiday… Villagers sick and tired of gunshots had turned off lights in their houses not to become an easy target because of them.

Survivor of two wars, my grandma was sitting by the window, her head bent, her restless fingers plaiting her long hair, white as snow, moving quickly as if competing with each other, in accord to the prayer her bluish lips kept repeating as restlessly: “Dear God, please, let them not shoot again, let there not be a war, not again, please, God…”

Comment

Celebration dedicated to 20th anniversary of RA Police Forces formation

Last edited by burjuin; 06-22-2012, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Nagorno-Karabakh: The Trigger Of World War III? – Analysis

By: Window On Heartland
        June 16, 2012

On February 23, 2012, the controversial leader of Russia’s Liberal Democratic Party Vladimir Zhirinovsky predicted the possible outbreak of World War III this summer. According to the former Russian army colonel, as soon as Syria is annihilated, a blow will be struck against Iran. At that point, “Azerbaijan might take advantage of that state to re-seize Nagorno-Karabakh. The Republic of Armenia will act in opposition to it, while Turkey will support Azerbaijan. That’s how we’ll in summer be caught in a war,” Zhirinovsky explained.

Although the Russian politician is not new to this kind of interventions, the risk that the Caucasus might indeed be the trigger of a new world war is all but unlikely. Earlier this year, Azerbaijan’s president Ilham Aliyev said Baku is buying up modern weaponry to be able to regain control of the breakaway Nagorno-Karabakh region quickly and with few losses should peace talks with neighbouring Armenia fail. Negotiations to end the conflict have been held under the auspices of the so-called Minsk Group since 1992, but so far results have been inconclusive.
        The borders of the former Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Oblast

The borders of the former Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Oblast

Azerbaijan is a natural ally of Turkey and an adversary of Iran. NATO partner since 1994 through its participation to the Alliance’s Partnership for Peace program, Baku is also one of the most geo-strategically important allies of the West in the pipelines war against Russia, being both a supporter and a potential supplier of the Washington-backed Nabucco gas pipeline project. On the other side, Armenia is a close ally of Russia and Iran, both interested in countering Turkish and US influence over the Caspian region.

Given this geopolitical context, to which are added NATO-Russia tensions over US missile defense plans in Europe and Azerbaijani-Russian disagreements over the renewal of the Gabala radar station lease, a spike in violence in the Caucasus might indeed trigger a major conflict between a US-led coalition consisting of Azerbaijan, Turkey and Israel on one side, and a Sino-Russian bloc including Armenia and Iran on the other side. Nevertheless, although five of the eight countries involved are de facto nuclear powers, a World War III between them would not necessarily imply the use of nuclear weapons.

In fact, a conflict originating from tensions in the Caucasus-Caspian region would be local in scope, but global in extent and consequences, being thus able to be considered a world war. Such a confrontation would have some of the characteristics of the Cold War, being the result of at least three proxy conflicts (Azerbaijan against Armenia, Iran against Azerbaijan, Turkey against Iran); nevertheless, given the nuclear potential of the countries diplomatically involved, it could not last more than a few days, being decided by both compellence and deterrence strategies fielded by the United States, Russia and China.

According to the New York Times, Russian fighter jets stationed in Armenia have conducted about 300 training flights since the beginning of 2012, increasing the number of flying hours by more than 20 percent from last year. Although Kirill Kiselev, an officer of the press service in the Southern Military District in Gyumri, assured the “Intensification of flights of Russian air-unit of N102 military base has been recorded in the framework of combat training program,” such a hyperactivity of Russian air forces might be a warning that Moscow could intervene at any moment should a war break out.

Nevertheless, only strong Chinese support can allow Russia to successfully continue its deterrence strategy aimed at avoiding US-sponsored military interventions both in the Caucasus (Nagorno-Karabakh) and the Middle East (Syria and Iran). Strong of its 3 million soldiers, who make the People’s Liberation Army the world’s largest military force, China would in fact be able to wage any kind of conflict with an overwhelming conventional superiority. Should Beijing gain access to military facilities in countries such as Kazakhstan and Pakistan, a Western attack on Tehran and its allies would therefore become an extremely remote possibility. In that case, the setback suffered by the US–Israel axis of having to de facto accept Iran’s nuclearization would already be, in itself, a victory for the Sino-Russian bloc, as well a practical realization of what Sun Tzu considered as the “apex of strategy:” to win a fight without fighting.

About the author:

Window On Heartland

Window on Heartland is a geopolitical blog focused on security and strategic issues in the post-Soviet space. Launched in November 2010, Window on Heartland aims to provide new perspectives on the geopolitics of the region, taking into account the complex historical, cultural and ethnic background of the peoples living within the borders of the former Soviet empire. Window on Heartland has been created and is managed by Giovanni Daniele Valvo, an independent political analyst specializing in Russian and East European affairs.

On February 23, 2012, the controversial leader of Russia’s Liberal Democratic Party Vladimir Zhirinovsky predicted the possible outbreak of World War III this summer. According to the former Russian army colonel, as soon as Syria is annihilated, a blow will be struck against Iran. At that point, “Azerbaijan might take advantage of that state to...

Comment

US ambassador to Armenia and Chief of Police were the first gunners of new shooting- ground
          14:09, 22 June, 2012

YEREVAN, JUNE 22, ARMENPRESS: Chief of Police of Armenia Vladimir Gasparyan and ambassador extraordinary and plenipotentiary of USA to the Republic of Armenia John Heffern on June 22 opened the new shooting-ground donated by the US Government to Armenian law enforcement system. Armenpress reports that the ambassador and chief of police walked around the shooting-ground and got acquainted to the implemented works. “US government is glad to support Armenia in the work of strengthening the abilities of law enforcement forces. This shooting-ground is one of the most difficult components in preparing the staff” noticed Heffern. He highlighted that Armenian police builds a system which is favorable for one important thing - to create confidence between people and police. Vladimir Gasparyan added that Armenian police works very harmonically with the embassy of USA. “We want to create normal, fair, honest police and I highly estimate your personal role in this context. We are grateful to US Government which finds means during the crisis and solves friendship, moral issues” mentioned Gasparyan. After getting acquainted with the works the chief of Police and ambassador become the first gunners of the shooting-ground. The length of the shooting ground is 501 meters. It can be used for preparing the staff of all departments of law enforcement forces.
          YEREVAN, JUNE 22, ARMENPRESS: Chief of Police of Armenia Vladimir Gasparyan and ambassador extraordinary and plenipotentiary of USA to the Republic of Armenia John Heffern on June 22 opened the new shooting-ground donated by the US Government to Armenian law enforcement system. Armenpress reports that the ambassador and chief of police walked around the shooting-ground and got acquainted to the implemented works. “US government is glad to support Armenia in the work of strengthening the abilities of law enforcement forces. This shooting-ground is one of the most difficult components in preparing the staff” noticed Heffern. He highlighted that Armenian police builds a system which is favorable for one important thing - to create confidence between people and police. Vladimir Gasparyan added that Armenian police works very harmonically with the embassy of USA. “We want to create normal, fair, honest police and I highly estimate your personal role in this context. We are grateful to US Government which finds means during the crisis and solves friendship, moral issues” mentioned Gasparyan. After getting acquainted with the works the chief of Police and ambassador become the first gunners of the shooting-ground. The length of the shooting ground is 501 meters. It can be used for preparing the staff of all departments of law enforcement forces.

Comment

Since there are more Russian troops in Armenia I guess things like this will happen

Toorks lose a jet over Syria, Guess the Syrian's practiced shooting techniques at the new shooting range

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan could not bring any light to what happened to a military plane that was reportedly shot down by Syria, as he talked to media after the plane's disappearance.

Bang Bang, someone is ready to play the game
            Last edited by Vahram; 06-22-2012, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Հայ դիքապահների աչքի առաջ ադրբեջանցի զինծառայողները հաշվեհարդար են տեսել իրենց ծառայակցի նկատմամբ
              Posted on Հունիս 22, 2012 by Մելինե Մ. | 1 մեկնաբանություն

Panorama.am լրատվական կայքի փոխանցմամբ, իրենց ունեցած հավաստի տեղեկություններով` հունիսի 20-ին ուշագրավ միջադեպ է արձանագրվել հայ-ադրբեջանական սահմանագծի Ճամբարակի հատվածում:

Հայ դիրքապահներն ականատես են եղել ադրբեջանցի զինծառայողի նկատմամբ իր իսկ ծառայակիցների կողմից հաշվեհարդարի փաստին: Հակառակորդ կողմի մարտական հենակետերից մեկի զինծառայողը փորձել է լքել հենակետը և անցնել հայ դիքապահների կողմից վերահսկվող տարածք, սակայն մի քանի մետր առաջ անցնելուց հետո` չեզոք գոտում, խոցվել է ադրբեջանցիների կողմից:

Այնուհետև փոխհրաձգություն է տեղի ունեցել ադրբեջանական երկու հենակետերի միջև: Որոշ ժամանակ անց` փոխհրաձգության դադարից հետո, մի քանի ադրբեջանցի զինծառայողներ` մոտ 8-10 հոգի, անցել են չեզոք գոտի և տարել իրենց իսկ կողմից սպանված ծառայակցի դին:

Հայ դիրքապահները հետևել են հակառակորդի գործողություններին և չեն խոչընդոտել ադրբեջանցու դին չեզոք գոտուց դուրս հանելուն:

razm.info

Comment

Հայ դիքապահների աչքի առաջ ադրբեջանցի զինծառայողները հաշվեհարդար են տեսել իրենց ծառայակցի նկատմամբ
                Posted on Հունիս 22, 2012 by Մելինե Մ. | 1 մեկնաբանություն
                Panorama.am լրատվական կայքի փոխանցմամբ, իրենց ունեցած հավաստի տեղեկություններով` հունիսի 20-ին ուշագրավ միջադեպ է արձանագրվել հայ-ադրբեջանական սահմանագծի Ճամբարակի հատվածում:

Հայ դիրքապահներն ականատես են եղել ադրբեջանցի զինծառայողի նկատմամբ իր իսկ ծառայակիցների կողմից հաշվեհարդարի փաստին: Հակառակորդ կողմի մարտական հենակետերից մեկի զինծառայողը փորձել է լքել հենակետը և անցնել հայ դիքապահների կողմից վերահսկվող տարածք, սակայն մի քանի մետր առաջ անցնելուց հետո` չեզոք գոտում, խոցվել է ադրբեջանցիների կողմից:

Այնուհետև փոխհրաձգություն է տեղի ունեցել ադրբեջանական երկու հենակետերի միջև: Որոշ ժամանակ անց` փոխհրաձգության դադարից հետո, մի քանի ադրբեջանցի զինծառայողներ` մոտ 8-10 հոգի, անցել են չեզոք գոտի և տարել իրենց իսկ կողմից սպանված ծառայակցի դին:

Հայ դիրքապահները հետևել են հակառակորդի գործողություններին և չեն խոչընդոտել ադրբեջանցու դին չեզոք գոտուց դուրս հանելուն:

Comment

how many russian soldiers are currently in armenia

Comment

Originally posted by HyeFighter2 View Post
                    how many russian soldiers are currently in armenia
                    Not enough!

Armenia's Army look quite smart to me though.

Comment

Police of the Republic of Armenia

Comment

Working...
                      X