Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Customs Ordeal: How an Iranian-Armenian Got Assistance to Soldiers in Artsakh

Vanik Keshishyan, a citizen of Iran and Armenia, can’t drive his car into Armenia.

He hasn’t been allowed to drive his car, with Iranian registration, into Armenia ever since he received his Armenian citizenship. Armenian authorities say it’s not allowed.

Meanwhile, citizens of Iran, with no Armenian passport, are free to drive to Armenia and spend up to 180 days in the country.

This fact perturbs Mr. Keshishyan, who feels that he’s being singled out and caught in a legal nightmare.

As soon as fighting broke out along the Artsakh Line of Contact in early April, Mr. Keshishyan decided to go to Iran and collect whatever items he could to bring back and distribute personally to Armenian soldiers on the frontline. Before entering Iran, he asked Armenian customs officials if he would have a problem when returning by car. They told him no problems would arise and that he could enter Armenia with his Iranian passport.

Buoyed by the news, Mr. Keshishyan left for Iran on April 4. He fixed up his car and changed the tires for the trip back to Artsakh. On April 28, loaded up with homemade jams, fruits and vegetables, clothes, tents, sleeping bags, umbrellas, undergarments and other items, he started the trip back to Armenia.

“There are Tabriz Turks all the way up to the Iranian border. 70% are up in arms regarding events in Karabakh. Before crossing the border, I was thinking of what to say. I’m a martial arts trainer in Armenia and Iran. So, that’s how I identified myself,” said Mr. Keshishyan.

When he reached the Armenian border and officials learnt that his cargo was destined for Artsakh, he was warmly received and allowed to enter the country with his Armenian passport.

“I then entered customs and was told that I couldn’t bring the car into Armenia because I have an Armenian passport,” Mr. Keshishyan related. “He said we have entered the Eurasia Union and an Armenian doesn’t have the right to bring his car in. They’ve taken that law and placed four walls around us. Everyone can’t come by bus. I want to bring my mother to Armenia. But she can’t come by bus and I can’t bring her by plane. I want her to sit in my car and come to Armenia. They have to find a way so that people don’t suffer.”

Lacking any options, Mr. Keshishyan threatened to voice his complaint over the internet regarding the unsanitary conditions of the toilets at the border crossing. He was so disillusioned about not being able to get the goods to the soldiers that he decided to stage a hunger strike at the customs house until he found out who had drafted such a law in the first place.

“I loaded the stuff on my car so that I could personally take it to the soldiers, to greet them all, so that they could feel that we are with them in spirit,” said Mr. Keshishyan
    The customs official started to yell at Mr. Keshishyan, telling him he could complain to whomever he wanted.

“The official said, we work according to the law. I answered, if only all the laws worked so well,” Mr. Keshishyan said.

The official relented and let him drive through, making it known that he was doing him a favor. Mr. Keshishyan was not appeased.

“He let me through with the car so that I wouldn’t raise a stink. I don’t fear such encounters. If there was a problem, I would have donated the car to Karabakh. Why should I, an Armenian, not be allowed to drive my car into Armenia. What damage have I done to my country?” Mr. Keshishyan asks.

He believes this is a reason why other diaspora Armenians cannot benefit from their country. Mr. Keshishyan believes that it’s a human rights violation and a restriction on freedom of movement.

“They say that you, by law, as an Armenian citizen cannot enter with a car. I’m coming with a car with Iranian license plates. If I bring the car into the country what damage am I doing? I can’t sell the car. Cars in Iran are twice as expensive. So, I can’t even bring one in to sell. It’s out of the question. The car will enter and leave in a short deadline. Why are they making things tough for people? At least they should make some exception for dual citizens,” Mr. Keshishyan adds.

Mr. Keshishyan recounts that in the past he’s tried to enter Armenia with his Iranian passport. When getting his visa, officials immediately told him that as a dual citizen he cannot enter by using his Iranian passport. They didn’t issue him a visa.

“In other words, should I give up my Armenian citizenship? Instead of opening doors for us, they are daily closing them,” Mr. Keshishyan argues.

Mr. Keshishyan says that this past Nowruz a group of Armenians from Iran wanted to drive to Armenia. Many were dual citizens. Some had to drive back to Tehran, while others were forced to take buses at the border. Their cars were sent back.

Mr. Keshishyan relocated to Armenia fifteen years ago. He’s into eco-farming and wants to construct a hothouse in Artsakh. To do this, he has to bring various supplies and tools from Iran. But he can’t do so because of the car issue.

“My family is here and I work there, in Iran, where I have a business. Every time, I have to take the bus and listen to that Turkish music. I want to bring back various supplies to launch my business plans here. What can I bring by bus?” says Mr. Keshishyan.

In Iran, he produces boxes for jams and jellies and would like to bring the equipment to Armenia temporarily. The car issue throws cold water on the plan.

“They should at least be a bit more flexible due to the fighting. What happens tomorrow or the next day when the fighting gets more intense and ten or twenty cars want to bring in supplies? Will they tell them to turn around and go home?

Mr. Keshishyan has taken up the matter with the Iranian embassy. He also visited the Ministry of Diaspora Affairs in Yerevan last week and the Human Rights Defender’s Office. They advised him to write to the Stare Revenue Committee.

He’s since done so. The committee has said it will reply to his complaint in no sooner than seven and no later than 30 days.

Comment

Comment

Mr Keshishyan's frustrations are clearly valid and understandable. I d believe Iran has been working on EEU partnership which would greatly help with this issue.
        Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Tour in supply base and military base in the region of Vayk

Comment

Originally posted by AstalaVist View Post
            So they can attack us, gain some land and make ceasefire without facing any consequences? Just because we don't want to let our soldiers to die? (while we are losing soldiers every day)

I really can't find the logic here. It's not important if the land that you lose is big or small, if it has stratagic value or not. You have to take it back no matter what you sacrifice for that. Otherwise you are the one who lose the war. It's just that simple.
            Like allready said.
            The sacrifice you're talking should start from you.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
              This is a significant victory for us and a significant defeat for azeris. The azeris have been fighting this for a long time thus this is a conssession on their part. This can be used to strengthen the status quo which is good for us.
              Armenian politician must think of a way to populate Artsakh into a million or 2 million population, sooner or later we gonna clash again!

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
                Mr Keshishyan's frustrations are clearly valid and understandable. I d believe Iran has been working on EEU partnership which would greatly help with this issue.
                Not gonna happen, because Israel signed/is going to sign a free trade agreement first.

Comment

I think they are afraid armenian citizens go abroad and bring cars and sell them. Ie profit. Only guys who can do that are oligarchs. Although i do know a diaspora armenian with no armo citizen who brought some cars from germany with no problem.

Comment

Lubawa Armenia: The “offspring” of NATO and CSTO members

Lubawa Armenia, the first Armenia-Poland joint defense enterprise, has been successfully operating in Armenia since October 2014. The factory is currently engaged in the production of modern technologies for multifunctional camouflage producing such military-technical products as decoys, technical and other tents, helmets, bulletproof vests, camouflage netting, etc.

Mediamax visited the Armenian-Polish joint enterprise, toured the factory and talked to Director of Lubawa Armenia CJSC Jarosław Ruch.

According to the Director, the Armenian Defense Ministry is the main customer and consumer of the enterprise’s products. The Ministry of Territorial Administration and Emergency Situations of Armenia also purchases the factory’s products.

“All company’s employees are Armenians. Only I am Polish here. The majority of our employees have attended trainings in Poland. The number of our employees will increase once the demand for our products increases,” said Jarosław Ruch.

The director expressed the hope that Lubawa Armenia would enlarge its production within a short period of time expanding to the countries of the Eurasian Economic Union (EEU) and other foreign markets.

“Armenia has a small market and therefore most of our production should be exported. I hope the negotiations will yield desired results,” said the Lubawa Armenia Director.

According to him, other companies operating in the defense industry sector may follow the success of Lubawa Armenia, thus increasing Polish investments in Armenia’s defense.

Yekaterina Poghosyan
                    Photos: Mariam Loretsyan

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X