Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Originally posted by HajiHabibli View Post
    In the interview babayan says that the azeri attack was essentially spontaneous and not a pre planned large scale operation. If that's the case, how does one explain the maps and documents found in the downed mi24 which pointed to such a pre planned operation?
    His argument basically collapsed on itself there,in fact,it only requires some logic to find out that azerbaijan was very well prepared for such an attack,here's the most obvious one:azerbaijan usually sends small diversion groups to penetrate the border,this time it sent the most elite special forces it had,alongside aerial support and reconnaissance,heavy artillery being used

Comment

Originally posted by Lori View Post
      Armenia cannot survive a state of perpetual war.I'm not talking about ending our ethnic conflict with Turks - That is an eternal struggle that we share with many other groups (Greeks, Serbs, etc). I'm talking about peace - politically. Armenia needs a chance to actually develop itself as well, and we don't have superpower backing and our own nuclear arsenal like Israel. We cannot be at war with Turks for 60 years straight.

If ceding some territory to the Turks (Just as Israel ceded territory back to Arab states) means development of the country, no more threats of full scale war, and peace - Why would you be against such a thing?
      I've been reading your stuff and largely abstaining from replying back because I like the concept of peace. But here is where your reasoning is actually flawed. You even mentioned Israel giving back the Sinai in exchange for peace. Here is the things you do not really take into account.

Ceding land to Azerbaijan, in no shape or form, guarantees Nagorno Karabakh to be recognized by Azerbaijan or any other country. It is essentially appeasemet to the Azeris. Do you understand that? It literally does not guarantee us ANYTHING.

The Israelis lost the Sinai. They still occupy the golan heights which have now become almost part of Israel. They are now occupying the West Bank, which will, if pressure like this continue, also become Israel. You see, the Israelis are not going to give up land for some assumption it will bring peace. What the Israelis understand, what Armenians understand, and what you will one day understand is that in the real world, outside of Oregon, some people are just not going to understand unless you xxxxing fight them.

Armenia can grow into a super power. It could use its conflict to propel industrial production. It can beat the Azeris in all shapes and forms. It can't do that if you are on some kind of supposed high horse saying that we should give back those lands that brave men and women died for in order to appease a dictator and a country that is trying to destroy the Armenians.

You are unfamiliar of the depopulation of Nakchivan? Or how KGB grey wolves like Heydar Aliyev were trying to depopulate Syunik? How they tried and FAILED in Nagorno Karbakh?

Keep that peace loving bull sh*t to having the US pull out of Iraq or some sh*t. It has no place historically in the history of our people.

Comment

Originally posted by Hakob View Post
        Azad Jan we could do what Chinese have done in general merchandise market. Pick the highest priced items and make cheaper copies and rip the profits.
        For example.
        An Accuracy Inyernational "chassis system" (rifle stock, lol) costs around $1000. It is the top in world in aiding the shooter with adjustments and support. In reality it is an 8santimeter by 12 by 100 chunk of aluminum (worth about $50) precision machined and fitted to have adjustments for cheek, hand grip, shoulder support, receiver nesting with nice floating barrel, scope and by pod support, added rails for fancy add ons on 3 sides and painted cool camo. Sells for $1000.
        A similar one can be designed with all the futures but distinctive (in arms marked moving around a couple of bolts is new design).
        In Armenia's labor market this could be made for maybe $100 total cost.
        Go to secondary markets for accuracy international (not US, Canada, England etc, but South America, orient, Africa and Eastern Europe) and sell.
        There are many other items in menue that can be done.
        Totally agree! You don't even have to be manufacturing armaments continuously either. Binoculars, Shovels, other tools can be made from the same precision machinery needed to make firearms. Manufacturing armaments can be a good way to subsidize manufacturers. That's pretty much how Boeing can still compete with the Euros subsidizing the xxxx out of Airbus.

Comment

Armenian peacekeepers shift duty in Lebanon
          17:20, 01.06.2016
          Region:World News, Armenia
          Theme: Politics

YEREVAN. – The official ceremony of the peacekeeping duty shift of the Armenian troops was held Monday at the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) Sector West Headquarters, in Shamaa in the southern part of the country.

The Ministry of Defense of Armenia informed Armenian News-NEWS.am that before the ceremony, Armenian Ambassador to Lebanon Samvel Mkrtchyan met with UNIFIL’s Sector West Commander, Brigadier General Arturo Nitti.

Nitti commended the Armenian peacekeepers’ professional training, discipline and ability to work in a multinational environment, and highlighted their capability of rapid integration.

The interlocutors exchanged views on the prospects for the development of UN peacekeeping, and the need for the expansion of peacekeeping mandates.

During the official ceremony of the duty shift, Brigadier General Nitti thanked the Armenian peacekeepers for their conscientious and high level of service, and spoke appreciatively of their discipline and service training.

The official ceremony concluded with the presentation of UN special medals to the outgoing Armenian peacekeepers, and for successful completion of their mission.

Armenia News - NEWS.am
          Within the framework of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL)…

Comment

Originally posted by Lori
            My position is not opposite the position of the Armenian people. My position is opposite to your position - no compromise/suicide pact.
            Please explain how not cedeing territory is a suicide pact. On the contrary I believe that what you are suggesting is suicide. Turks have already proven countless times that they do not abide to any agreements, whether it's the Geneva conventions, the cease fire agreement, etc. They were in Talish for a few hours and we saw what kind of barbarians we're dealing with. Now you advocate bringing them closer to our populated territories by cedeing unpopulated regions? They've now started to make claims to Yerevan! Are you even considering the implications your position can have if it is carried out? Again, please explain how not giving any territory to the Turks is suicide. Thanks!
            Last edited by AbuSindi; 06-01-2016, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Lori please answer the other questions like AbuSindi ones.
              How is giving any land not suicidal to us ? We lost 800hectares of high ground and now 3 villages officially dead. No-way for anyone to live there.
              Give them 8000 hectares and whole Artsax will be the same.
              Turks have proven that they can't be our peaceful neighbours. The only way they want us is as theirs.
              Never have we been in peace with them while we had any form of independence.

Treaties mean xxxx , what did those treaties do for Crimea? For Kosovo ? For Palestina ? For Abkhasia ? Nothing , nothing at all.

People aren't as good as you think. You are being naive if you belive they will EVER recognise Artsax even in exchange of 99% of land.

Comment

Originally posted by AbuSindi View Post
                Please explain how not cedeing territory is a suicide pact. On the contrary I believe that what you are suggesting is suicide. Turks have already proven countless times that they do not abide to any agreements, whether it's the Geneva conventions, the cease fire agreement, etc. They were in Talish for a few hours and we saw what kind of barbarians we're dealing with. Now you advocate bringing them closer to our populated territories by cedeing unpopulated regions? They've now started to make claims to Yerevan! Are you even considering the implications your position can have if it is carried out? Again, please explain how not giving any territory to the Turks is suicide. Thanks!
                Sure no problem. Btw, haydavid settle down. I can only answer so many accusations, demands, questions, etc at once. This is a discussion, not an interrogation.

If we don't come to a political compromise with the Azerbaijanis, it will surely mean war. War will destroy both nations, this situation is described as "suicide pact" by non-partisan analysts like Thomas De Waal, Eric Krunger, etc. Both Armenia and Azerbaijan have the capability of destroying one another. This was not the case 20 years in post-war Caucasus. The Azerbaijanis did not have the arsenal they have now. We did not have the arsenal we have now. That is reality and we must accept this. We don't have to "trust" the Azeris in order to have peace. We have a mutual defense agreement with the most powerful country in the region. Trust is not a factor, our security apparatus is. Again, incorporating Artsakh into Armenia will bring it under this umbrella. I don't know how many times I gonna have to repeat this.

When I say "peace" I do not mean a lasting peace with Turks. Ill say it again, that is an eternal struggle that we share with other groups and is not possible. Ethnic conflict extends past politics and boundaries. However, political peace is possible as long as one side is willing to come to a compromise.

The Azeris will not accept just letting 10-14 percent of their official territory go, that is given. I believe the time when states could just take land from one another during war is now over, we have international law and restrictions that regulate this. A compromise is in order.

Now you advocate bringing them closer to our populated territories by cedeing unpopulated regions?
                You say this as if I just want us to give them land and thats it. You also imply that they aren't already close to major population centers in Armenia. Giving them the southern regions of NKR in exchange for political peace (And perhaps Shahumyan) is a much better alternative then phased settlement or Western plans for the region. (Maintaining post-Soviet borders)

I never said anything about Azerbaijan recognizing Artsakh as independent in exchange for territories. Artsakh is Armenia.

Are you even considering the implications your position can have if it is carried out?
                It is not just my position, this is something you need to understand. This started because I agreed with Samvel and posted a map that triggered people.

Hmm . I read what you said.
                What can I say? A Red cow wil not change his skin. An idiot will stay so.
                only a Turk will back stub. You might be an Armenian by birth, but a Turk by character nevertheless.
                Awww, Hakob. what happened to your dissertation? It was actually civil. Its as shame you have resorted back to your childish ways. Just couldn't take the sight of your own post huh?

Addressing Kocharyan's statements

Azerbaijan was already purchasing massive amounts of weapons from Russia when he was in power, just not as advanced. They used that weaponry to rebuild their army. We didn't start a modernization process until 2010, by then Azerbaijan had already started acquiring T90S tanks.

Robert is trying to ride a political wave, thats it. Something just seems really fishy here.
                Last edited by Lori; 06-01-2016, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hakob
                  Hmm . I read what you said.
                  What can I say? A Red cow wil not change his skin. An idiot will stay so.
                  only a Turk will back stub. You might be an Armenian by birth, but a Turk by character nevertheless.
                  Hagop, your conciliatory hand to Lori had parallels to Lori's approach to the Azeri in seeking peace.

Situations like these reminds me from the famous quotes of Churchill.
                  This relates to the sympathy given by good doers to the locals in the colonies ....

He said "They are either under your heel or round your neck."

You need to treat destructive ideas with the same pre-warning.

There is no middle ground between under the heel and round your neck.

Last edited by londontsi; 06-01-2016, 03:52 PM.
                  Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
                  Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
                  Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Originally posted by Lori View Post

The Azeris will not accept just letting 10-14 percent of their official territory go, that is given. I believe the time when states could just take land from one another during war is now over, we have international law and restrictions that regulate this. A compromise is in order.

Unless Armenia can develop enough where Azerbaijan understands that war is truly suicidal and it's better to let 10-14% go, then get destroyed. Difficult task, but not impossible.

At this point it's too early still to jump for compromise. There could potentially come a time where the scenario you describe is truly the best option left. But, again, we are not there at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by HajiHabibli View Post
                      Unless Armenia can develop enough where Azerbaijan understands that war is truly suicidal and it's better to let 10-14% go, then get destroyed. Difficult task, but not impossible.

At this point it's too early still to jump for compromise. There could potentially come a time where the scenario you describe is truly the best option left. But, again, we are not there at this time.
                      I agree. Unfortunately, the latest events more or less rule out any hopeful scenario from taking place. I do get the feeling that war is just around the corner. This "ceasefire" is just the calm before the storm.

Comment

Working...
                      X