Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Foreign Relations of Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Foreign Relations of Armenia

Common or not common, doesn't matter. "Serjik" or "Serge" is not the way to address a president. I think, as I mentioned above, this has a deeper cause, which lies in the current state of "culture" among Armenians.

Comment

Switzerland is becoming a much closer partner for us. (let's not forget their tough stance on Armenian Genocide also):

Serzh Sargsyan: Armenia, Switzerland have potential for boosting cooperation
      May 3, 2011 - 18:25 AMT
      PanARMENIAN.Net - Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan said that Armenia and Switzerland have great potential for boosting cooperation and expressed interest in full usage of the existing opportunities in economic cooperation.
      Sargsyan told a joint press conference with his Swiss counterpart Micheline Calmy-Rey that the countries can cooperate in xxxelry and watchmaking industry, as well as agriculture, tourism, culture, science and art.
      Sargsyan also expressed gratitude for granting Armenia a status of honorary guest at the Geneva International Book and Press Fair, the RA presidential press service reported.
      Armenian-Swiss inter-parliamentary relations discussed in Bern
      May 3, 2011 - 17:35 AMT
      PanARMENIAN.Net - Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan met in Bern with President of the National Council of Switzerland Jean-Rene Germanier to discuss development of the Armenian-Swiss inter-parliamentary relations.
      Mr. Sargsyan expressed hope that the Armenian-Swiss parliamentary friendship groups will contribute to the development of bilateral relations, using methods of parliamentary diplomacy.
      The parties attached importance to inter-parliamentary contacts at bilateral level and as part of international parliamentary forums through active collaboration of the two countries’ delegations.
      Sargsyan also met with Swiss President Micheline Calmy-Rey. After the meeting, the Presidents summarized its results at a joint press conference, the RA presidential press service reported.
      Armenian President meets with Swiss official

May 03, 2011 | 18:09
      Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan held a meeting with the President of the National Council of Switzerland Jean-Rene Germanier in the framework of his official visit to Swiss Confederation.

The sides discussed the issues related to development of Swiss-Armenian inter-parliamentary relations expressing hope that parliamentary friendship groups will continue contributing to development of ties between the states, presidential press service informed Armenian News-NEWS.am. They also stressed importance of inter-parliamentary contacts not only in bilateral format but within the framework of parliamentary assemblies of international agencies as well.
      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
      ---
      "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Tigranakert View Post
        It just shows the desperate state of our Armenian culture that even most of the "devoted", "patriotic" Armenians in here call our president Serzh Sargisyan, as "Serge". At the same time calling Ilham respectfully by his last name, Aliyev.
        Calling Serge Sargsyan "Serge" is not disrespectful at all. On the contrary, when people refer to politicians by their first name, it is a sign of respect and of endearment in the sense that he is one with the people. Maybe in the West and many places it does not work that way but this makes sense to Armenians. We don't refer to Monte Melkonian as "Melkonian", everyone refers to him as Monte. Same with Andranik (do I need to say his last name?), Dro (do I need to say his last name?), Serob (does the average person even know his last name?) etc. The people who follow LTP similarly refer to him as "Levon" because they respect him and think it is endearing to call him that.

In a formal setting, you'd expect everyone to call him "պարոն Նախագահ" as Mos pointed out. Now calling someone like our president "Serjik" is MEANT to be disrespectful. The -ik suffix is to diminish the person's status. Aliyev is referred to as Aliyev because of the simple fact that we don't give two sh!ts about him.
        Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
          Calling Serge Sargsyan "Serge" is not disrespectful at all. On the contrary, when people refer to politicians by their first name, it is a sign of respect and of endearment in the sense that he is one with the people. Maybe in the West and many places it does not work that way but this makes sense to Armenians. We don't refer to Monte Melkonian as "Melkonian", everyone refers to him as Monte. Same with Andranik (do I need to say his last name?), Dro (do I need to say his last name?), Serob (does the average person even know his last name?) etc. The people who follow LTP similarly refer to him as "Levon" because they respect him and think it is endearing to call him that.

In a formal setting, you'd expect everyone to call him "պարոն Նախագահ" as Mos pointed out. Now calling someone like our president "Serjik" is MEANT to be disrespectful. The -ik suffix is to diminish the person's status. Aliyev is referred to as Aliyev because of the simple fact that we don't give two sh!ts about him.
          I totally disagree, I don't see any sign of "respect" by calling a politician by his first name, meaning he is "one" with the people is totally bullxxxx. As I already mentioned, most Armenians lack the even the basic respect for our heroes, if it was in Turkey their pictures would hang all over the place, heck, most of the Armenians don't even know the stories of our heroes. Anyways Armenians have no respect for authority when it comes to other Armenians. As we just got independent, we still have a lot of things that needs to be changed after centuries of living under Turkish/Persian/Soviet control, and this is one of them.
          Last edited by Tigranakert; 05-03-2011, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigranakert View Post
            I totally disagree, I don't see any sign of "respect" by calling a politician by his first name, meaning he is "one" with the people is totally bullxxxx. As I already mentioned, most Armenians lack the even the basic respect for our heroes, if it was in Turkey their pictures would hang all over the place, heck, most of the Armenians don't even know the stories of our heroes. Anyways Armenians have no respect for authority when it comes to other Armenians. As we just got independent, we still have a lot of things that needs to be changed after centuries of living under Turkish/Persian/Russian control, and this is one of them.
            Disagree or agree, it's your own personal view/taste and it seems a little "Western" to me . Armenians don't mean disrespect when they call their politicians and heroes by their first names even if to you, it seems like it. I gave you examples, both historical and modern. There is no intent unless they're putting that ridiculous "-ix" suffix.

As for the rest of your comments, I agree there is a lack of knowledge of our heroes stories and history in general. I blame that on 70 years of Soviet anti-nationalist policies and the 20 years we've wasted not fixing it, though.

Comment

A beautiful comment someone left on Hurriyet regarding cutting US aid to Armenia:

I invite Armenophobes posting here to put things into perspective. The US has never been anything other than a stranger to Armenia and it has been an active problem for Armenia due to its excessively Turkophile foreign policy since 1947. Private aid from Armenian Americans is more reliable and has been pouring in at around 300 million a year. The US will lose whatever leverage it has in the country; and its place will be taken by Russia, China and Iran. The next time Armenia deals with Iran, the US will not be able to threaten aid cut off. Worse yet, the lack of US involvement there means that future conflicts in Georgia will entail bribing the Laz to smuggle out Americans in contrast to August 2008. In less than 2 years, this decision will be severely regretted, but by then it will be too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Artsakh View Post
                A beautiful comment someone left on Hurriyet regarding cutting US aid to Armenia:

I invite Armenophobes posting here to put things into perspective. The US has never been anything other than a stranger to Armenia and it has been an active problem for Armenia due to its excessively Turkophile foreign policy since 1947. Private aid from Armenian Americans is more reliable and has been pouring in at around 300 million a year. The US will lose whatever leverage it has in the country; and its place will be taken by Russia, China and Iran. The next time Armenia deals with Iran, the US will not be able to threaten aid cut off. Worse yet, the lack of US involvement there means that future conflicts in Georgia will entail bribing the Laz to smuggle out Americans in contrast to August 2008. In less than 2 years, this decision will be severely regretted, but by then it will be too late.
                Indeed a great post, thanks Artsakh jan.

Comment

Originally posted by Artsakh View Post

It's because of the Armenian lobby that the US is not blatantly anti-Armenian, because face it Armenia stands in the way of its interests in the region. In my view, the anti-Armenian policies stem from their competition with Russia (we are with Russia) thus they will try to counter us. That being said, neither Turkey or Azerbaijan are moving closer to US either, and Georgia after elections will have a much more reasonable foreign policy. The US is losing its grip on the region as the post-independence pro-US fever is subsiding and people looking at the real players in the region (Russia and Iran). The Caucasus is firmly Russia's backyard, and the sooner idiot governments like that of Georgia understand that, the sooner there can be peace and stability.

We should use the US however, but we should not allow them to blackmail us into choosing our foreign policy. It's because of their good buddy Turkey's illegal blockade that we have to intensify economic relations with Iran. So really, it's their call not ours.
                  Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                  ---
                  "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Working...
                  X