Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Racism (Anti-Armenianism); a good thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Racism (Anti-Armenianism); a good thing?

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
    You are either a classic Islamist liar or a perfect idiot to dare to suggest that Armenians have "coexisted perfectly" with Muslims. Nobody can coexist perfectly with Islam, unless you consider extinction to be perfect coexistance. When Muslims are not gleefully killing non-Muslims, they are even more bloodthisty with any fellow Muslims they consider are not acting like true Muslims. Islam is evil, and is probably the most dangerous problem facing the world. No reasonable person could argue otherwise. The only stable Islamic countries are those whose rulers have realised that all aspects of Islam need to be firmly controlled lest it becomes a bloodthirsty monster. Iraq is an example of what can happen when that control is lost. Why not go there and try out your "loving"?
    S**t !!!!

I agree with Bell......................I suppose that's an example of some universal mathematic probability equation.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellektor View Post
      I personally would like to see Armenians in Russia back in Armenia, since they speak Russian as a legacy of Soviet assimilation program, they lose their Armenian identity faster than anywhere else and if Armenians in “Christian” countries have been assimilated after three generations, an Armenian that has lived in Russia for say, 10 years, has already “forgotten” the Armenian language. It's also due to poor organization of Armenians in Russia as contrary to the Diasporans after the Genocide where the Dashnaktsutiun was strong and did everything to organize the community.

However, the downside is that these Armenians outside Armenia work and send money to their relatives in Armenia, where the lousy governance of the mobster thugs has caused inequality soar to the miserable actual levels.
      A strange notion. Do you have direct knowledge of completely russified Armenians? Many of my family have been in Russia for 20+ years and don't fit your profile, at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
        I have been thinking and saying that for many years. It is good to see other Armenians who care about the Armenian people and country yet are not blinded by religion.
        Here here!
        General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by hrai View Post
          A strange notion. Do you have direct knowledge of completely russified Armenians? Many of my family have been in Russia for 20+ years and don't fit your profile, at all.
          As a matter of fact, the organization of Armenians is much weaker in Russia than other countries where there's a considerable Armenian community. In any case the Diaspora is a temporary phenomenon and sooner or later the Armenians will either leave like in most Islamic countries or they'll assimilate like in Poland where since the 17th century (just like in Iran) 300,000 Armenians held on to their identity as long as they could but they eventually disappeared.

In Iran where I live, as the result of the Islamic “revolution” and the installation of the backward, intolerant rule of the tyrant mullahs 31 years ago, the more or less 300,000 strong Armenian community of before the revolution has dwindled and is at about 60,000 or so where the 32 million Iranian population has grown to become over 70 million. The ratio has been reduced about ten times from about just under one percent to under 0.1 percent in 31 years... The picture is not better in Syria, Iraq, Lebanon or even Jerusalem. The well organized Diaspora in the Middle East where we had a huge number of Armenian schools, community homes, churches, etc. has thinned down considerably as the result of the political changes in the region in the past three decades.

Throughout the four centuries in Iran we have kept our Armenian identity and every Iranian Armenian speaks the language (whether you like our accent or not) and we have also kept the traditions and the Mesropian spelling. However the community will not last forever because it's only in Armenia where the Armenian nation will go on as long as the country exists.

The over a million Armenian community in Russia (over two million all over the ex-USSR region) are endowed with the blessing (or curse) of the knowledge of the Russian language. You correct me if I'm wrong but the number of schools in the whole region is abysmally smaller than the absolute minimum needed to preserve the Armenian language and identity for a long time. The organization of the Russian Armenians: community homes, churches, etc. leaves also to be desired.

With satellite TV available worldwide and 4 Armenian channels and one Russian Armenian channel: TV ARM RU (I wonder who the audience is other than Armenians in Russia who DON'T speak Armenian) all on Hotbird, we get to see quite a few cases of Armenians, young and old, in Russia who speak Russian on TV.

The simple fact that they already know Russian and they live in Russia and the scarcity of Armenian schools it's pretty obvious the parents do not feel the need to speak Armenian at home with their kids. This is so obvious and if your relatives aren't among these it is that the exception doesn't change the rule.

I'm just stating the fact that I have observed watching Armenian TV. If this doesn't reflect the truth blame Armenian TV, don't blame me. I wish this was not true. This is sad but it is not so different than the Polish Armenians' case.

Comment

Hellektor,
            Different solutions for different locations.

The situation in Russia for 70+ years gave no allowance really for nationalities, just the Soviet model. Armenian schools had no chance in Union, barely in Armenia itself, giving no basis for schools since collapse of USSR.
            This doesn't mean nationalities disappeared, what's shown and seen on media doesn't reflect what happens in home or on the street.
            In my experience, you go to school and speak one language, go home, socialize and speak another..........or very often switch between the two often mid-sentence. Schools may not be common, there are quite a few churches but really the social networking centres are in every Armenian apartment.

The media really get me angry. How often do they say " We only print/broadcast what the public want"...........I've never been polled by the media as to "what I want". The media print/broadcast what they (& their controllers) want us to read/see/hear.

Armenian language TV or Russian/English language is irrelevant for me, although some Russian shows are too good to miss!

As regards your accent, I've many friends from Tehran and the accent is fine!

Comment

Hellektor,

The situation in Russia for 70+ years gave no allowance really for nationalities, just the Soviet model. Armenian schools had no chance in Union, barely in Armenia itself, giving no basis for schools since collapse of USSR.
              This doesn't mean nationalities disappeared, what's shown and seen on media doesn't reflect what happens in home or on the street.
              In my experience, you go to school and speak one language, go home, socialize and speak another..........or very often switch between the two often mid-sentence. Schools may not be common, there are quite a few churches but really the social networking centres are in every Armenian apartment.

The media really get me angry. How often do they say " We only print/broadcast what the public want"...........I've never been polled by the media as to "what I want". The media print/broadcast what they (& their controllers) want us to read/see/hear.

Armenian language TV or Russian/English language is irrelevant for me, although some Russian shows are too good to miss!

I agree, Hrai is right, accent is not a problem. And most people overcome the accent in no time, when they are in Armenian homeland friendly native environment, for at most one year it disappears, especially among the young. And if you encounter a few badmouthing people, they are scattered everywhere in the world, but they do not constitute the majority of Armenian nation. Besides Armenia itself has different dialects in different regions and they are in the same situation.
              Last edited by gegev; 08-17-2010, 03:45 AM.

Comment

"it's only in Armenia where the Armenian nation will go on as long as the country exists."
                This is a important piont and one i myself have been stressing for a while now. We in the diaspora need to develop a relationship with Hayastan. It can be in a different form for different people but Hayastan is our only hope for a future as a Armenian nation.
                Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Hellektor,

Dear hrai,

I only state the facts seen through my eyes that look in windows that are not necessarily the same for everyone. I hope the Russian Armenians remain Armenian for centuries and when the time is right, go back and live in their liberated, united Armenia. But the ugly fact is that the Diaspora is the result of the Armenian Genocide and not just that of the 1915. It's beyond doubt that the Diaspora will disappear sooner or later. I only observe that this may happen faster in Russia than a number of other, better organized communities, because of the reasons I stated in earlier posts.

Everything is relative: our sun will reach the end of its life in about 8 billion years. Still, since the weather will become too hot as the result of the dying sun's expansion, there will hardly be any sign of life (or maybe no atmosphere at all) in a couple of billion years from now, on this planet. No surprise that the human kind won't make it beyond this millennium, let alone millions or billions of years. Still, as the result of evolution, no creature looks the same after a several hundreds of thousands of years so the offshoots of the human species may not have much in common with us millennia later, that is, if Islam or a meteor or industry hasn't destroyed our planet earlier.

All this is to say that Armenians will continue remaining that for centuries only on Armenian territory, the genocidal Turk abomination is very well aware of that, this is why they constantly nag and demand more territory from Armenians until no more territory is left to us. And our lousy diplomats are sitting down and talking with our bloodthirsty enemy to see how much territory are we going to cede to the sore, warmongering, genocidal “Azeri” chicken losers... Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by gegev View Post
                    I agree, Hrai is right, accent is not a problem. And most people overcome the accent in no time, when they are in Armenian homeland friendly native environment, for at most one year it disappears, especially among the young. And if you encounter a few badmouthing people, they are scattered everywhere in the world, but they do not constitute the majority of Armenian nation. Besides Armenia itself has different dialects in different regions and they are in the same situation.
                    Dear gegev,

Iranian Armenian accent is almost the same as that in Armenia. It's the same eastern Armenian dialect. Shah Abbas “brought” us here from Nakhijevan and the region of Araratian plain; we didn’t fall from the sky. True, the main Yerevan accent (not that of every Yerevantsi, mind you) is slightly different as a result of the Russian influence, but I hear many an Armenian speak very similarly to us in Yerevan and different regions of Armenia, would you believe, using the same Persian words/expressions we sometimes use, which is quite delightful: shalvar, hab, zahrumar, jahannam, akhmakh, kucha, etc., etc.

I didn't mean to stress this as much as it was noticed by you guys. I just mentioned it en passant, and the reason was, sometimes jokes are made on us because of the way we pronounce/use certain words or expressions. I didn't mean it as an important point.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellektor View Post
                      Throughout the four centuries in Iran we have kept our Armenian identity and every Iranian Armenian speaks the language (whether you like our accent or not) and we have also kept the traditions and the Mesropian spelling. However the community will not last forever because it's only in Armenia where the Armenian nation will go on as long as the country exists.
                      We have an accent?
                      I always thought our other Diasporan brothers had the accent.

No but seriously our dialect like you said is exactly like the Armenians from Armenia and you are right, without the motherland we are all screwed.

BTW, don't feel too bad dadashie man, most Irani Armenians are here in US with the rest of the Persians who left Iran after the freaking Mullahs took over. Man I miss Tehran, I know it has changed a lot since I left.
                      B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Working...
                      X