Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian-Turkish Relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Armenian-Turkish Relations

Armenians display amazing naivety by cherishing hopes on the Armenian Genocide recognition by Washington

Seemingly today’s Turkey isn’t going to repeat the massacre but there exists Azerbaijan which has become the worthy successor of the Ottoman Empire in the Armenian issue.
    A group of Turkish intellectuals recently sent a petition letter to Armenians, apologizing publicly for the Armenian Genocide in the Ottoman Turkey in 191.
    The fact itself is already unique if taking into account Article 301 of Turkish Penal Code, which “promises” to arrest those who will openly discuss the Armenian Genocide. Nevertheless, professors Baskэn Oran and Ahmet Эnsel, journalists Ali Bayramoрlu and Cengiz Aktar personally apologized for the “great disaster Ottoman Armenians suffered in 1915”.

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ According to Today’s Zaman, the intellectuals' group is calling on other people to sign the petition posted online, which reads as follows: “I cannot conscientiously accept the indifference to the great disaster that Ottoman Armenians suffered in 1915, and its denial. I reject this injustice and, acting of my own will, I share the feelings and pains of my Armenian brothers and sisters, and I apologize to them.”

“We are apologizing for not being able to discuss the “Great Calamity” that the Armenian nation suffered in 1915, for not talking about it openly for such a long time, nearly one hundred years,” said Turkish journalist Cengiz Aktar. Meanwhile, Turkish nationalists and historians demand that the people “supporting Armenian claims of Genocide be arrested.”

In unison with this statement Armenian intellectuals sent an open letter to Turkish President Abdullah Gul, suggesting once again recognition of the Armenian Genocide. The letter particularly states that the issue baffled the collective awareness of the Armenian and Turkish nations, and caused actions irrespective of various demands of everyday policy.

“We all should accept that the Ottoman Empire is guilty of the massacre of the Armenian people, and modern-day Turkey bears "hereditary responsibility" for what they consider a "monumental crime against humanity”. Present-day Turkish diplomacy and propaganda machine can’t cover this dark page of history. The historic memory of our nations is deep and restless. Your generation of Turkish leaders must accept the undeniable truth and recognize the fact of the Armenian Genocide. Recognition of this indisputable fact is first of all essential for the Turkish people. Relieving this burden of history, they can turn this dark page and launch a sincere dialogue for true reconciliation,” Armenian intellectuals said in the letter.

Such addresses are, of course, necessary but they are made for no political or time-serving reason; they are dictated by human heart. However, the mournful experience should have long sobered up that part of Armenian nation, who still, despite of the Genocide and the Nagorno Karabakh war, consider that petitions or pleas are capable of solving a problem. The European diplomats, who were witnesses of massacre in 1915-1916, acted exactly the same way. They wrote to Berlin, London, Washington and St. Petersburg, but it produced no results. They proved to be unable to change anything, and there miraculously remained only several hundred thousand Armenians in the world. And though, most likely, today’s Turkey isn’t going to repeat the massacre, there exists Azerbaijan which has become the worthy successor of the Ottoman Empire in the Armenian issue. At least, anti-Armenian articles in the Azeri press are much more than they are in Turkish papers. And it suggests much. Moreover, Baku has begun to speak of Turkey’s possible «betrayal» against her brother and her probable normalization of relations with Armenia, which in Azeri politicians’ opinion goes against the strategic goals of Official Baku.

It is evident that present-day Turkey will never voluntarily recognize the Armenian Genocide. It is also difficult to say what or who can make her do it. Seemingly, the European Union would be unable to do it, as to all appearances Erdogan’s Government is no more eager to enter into the EU. It would be at least naive to stake on the Islamic countries too. As for Russia, it would never press on Turkey in such a complicated issue, since it is now essential for Russia to move Turkey away from the USA and attract her to her side.

Not at all belittling the work done by the Office of «Hay Dat» towards the international recognition of the Armenian Genocide, we nevertheless consider that Armenians are amazingly naive in this issue, especially towards the new US Administration. In case Barack Obama officially recognizes the Armenian Genocide, he will have to deal not with Turkey herself, but with the xxxish and Turkish lobby that will immediately make it clear for the President that he hurried with his decision. Thus, “Hay Dat” Office Director Kiro Manoyan’s statement saying that “Recognition by the new U.S. Administration seems quite possible now” is a bit premature.

Karine Ter-Sahakyan

For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
    to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Although the above article is very well put by Ms. Ter Sahakyan; but I am of course hoping that even though Obama does have to deal with the J'ewish and the turkish lobyists and as a matter of fact I was personally thinking just about this from a week ago, I am still looking forward to Res. 106 to be passed successfully next time around (hopefully by 2009).

Comment

Thousands Sign Turkish Apology To Armenians

By Emil Danielyan

Thousands of Turks have joined their prominent countrymen in publicly apologizing for the World War I-era mass killings and deportations of Armenians in the Ottoman Empire.

The unprecedented apology was initiated earlier this month by a group of 200 Turkish academics, journalists, writers and artists disagreeing with the official Turkish version of what many historians consider the first genocide of the 20th century. Their petition, entitled “I apologize,” was posted on a special website (www.ozurdiliyoruz.com) on Monday. More than 7,000 Turks signed it as of Tuesday evening, indicating their names, occupations and places of residence.

“I cannot conscientiously accept the indifference to the Great Catastrophe that Ottoman Armenians suffered in 1915, and its denial,” reads the petition. “I reject this injustice and acting of my own will, I share the feelings and pains of my Armenian brothers and sisters, and I apologize to them.”

The signatories were careful not to describe the Armenian massacres as genocide, a highly sensitive term resented by the Turkish state and nationalist circles. Some prominent intellectuals that have used the word have been prosecuted for “insulting Turkishness.” One of them, Turkish-Armenian newspaper editor Hrant Dink, was gunned down by a nationalist teenager in January 2007.

The “Great Catastrophe” evoked by the authors of the petition appears to be a translation of the Armenian phrase “Mets Yeghern” frequently used with regard to the 1915 massacres.

Turkish nationalists were quick to criticize the online apology. The Associated Press news agency reported that a group of some 60 retired Turkish diplomats issued a statement on Monday describing the move "as unfair, wrong and unfavorable to national interests." "Such an incorrect and one-sided attempt would mean disrespecting our history," the diplomats said.

Devlet Bahceli, the leader of the opposition Nationalist Action Party said: "No one has the right to insult our ancestors, to present them as criminals and to ask for an apology."

"We are not betraying anyone. We are merely telling the Armenians that we share their grief," countered Gila Benmayor, a journalist and columnist for the mass-circulation “Hurriyet” newspaper. Benmayor told the Associated Press that she signed the petition because she believes "the time has come for change."

Among the intellectuals who initiated the apology is Hasan Cemal, a veteran columnist working for another leading Turkish daily, “Milliyet.” Cemal is a grandson of Ahmed Djemal Pasha, one of the three top “Young Turks” that ruled Ottoman Turkey during the final years of the empire and are believed to have masterminded the slaughter more of more than a million Ottoman Armenians.

Djemal Pasha was assassinated by an Armenian gunman in Tbilisi in 1922. Hasan Cemal met with the assassin’s grandson when he traveled to Yerevan last September to cover Turkish President Abdullah Gul’s historic visit to Armenia.

The petition’s signatories also include Cem Ozdemir, the ethnic Turkish leader of Germany’s Green Party.

Thousands of Turks have joined their prominent countrymen in publicly apologizing for the World War I-era mass killings and deportations of Armenians in the Ottoman Empire.
        Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Aytekin Yildiz: Turkish state has to apologize
          16.12.2008 17:59 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ The apology campaign was not only criticized by Turkish denialists, but also by some Turks who felt the statement had not gone far enough, Zaman reports.

"It is a good starting point, but not enough. Firstly, what do they mean by saying ‘Great Catastrophe’? Let’s name it. It is genocide. Secondly, the state has to apologize," stated Aytekin Yildiz, Coordinator of the Confrontation Association.

Historian Ayse Hur said that Turkey "has to apologize on behalf of the perpetrators and for itself, too, because it has legitimized their actions through the years."

Another prominent Turkish intellectual said, on condition of anonymity, that the Turkish state, rather than individuals, must make the apology.

Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

wow, I'm not used to hearing such words from Turks

Comment

I keep thinking of that saying about be careful what you wish for.

What will happen if Turkey accepts the AG? Do we lose a trump card and what if anything would be gained for Armenia?

Comment

I'm thinking something similar.

However, how effectively could they pursue their doctrine of pan-Turkism after recognizing the genocide?

Comment

I am not sure that the Genocide will hinder the building of a new empire. If anything they may get smart and use it as a propoganda tool showing that they can admit the error of the past and are not the same old devil in new clothes. In either case Armenia alone will not hinder Turkish expansion, at least not for the forseable future.

Comment

Haha, You should not afraid so much.

Anyway, Turkey is not following Pan-Turkist ideas and AKP is least nationalist party which ruled Turkey.

Originally posted by gmd View Post
                    I am not sure that the Genocide will hinder the building of a new empire. If anything they may get smart and use it as a propoganda tool showing that they can admit the error of the past and are not the same old devil in new clothes. In either case Armenia alone will not hinder Turkish expansion, at least not for the forseable future.
                    So what you want? I mean, If you afraid that Turkey will recognize genoside, It is easy to stop Turkey. Stop to pressure.
                    Last edited by Palavra; 12-16-2008, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Palavra View Post
                      Haha, You should not afraid so much.

Anyway, Turkey is not following Pan-Turkist ideas and AKP is least nationalist party which ruled Turkey.

So what you want? I mean, If you afraid that Turkey will recognize genoside, It is easy to stop Turkey. Stop to pressure.
                      I think you misunderstood my initial comment. In my opinion the failure of Turkish policy in Genocide denial, for Turkey's interests, has been the empowerment of Armenians within western politics. The problem for Armenians is that this may have become a singular focus and hence a point of potential failure. I raised the point to discuss what could be hopefully achieved post recognition for the state of Armenia. The issue of moral vindication aside we Armenians need to consider what can realistically be gained from Turkey (politically) in the case that Turkey recognized the genocide. In my opinion Turkey at this point in history may gain more from Genocide recognition then it does by pursuing a denialist policy. At the same time Armenians and Armenia may lose a political tool without gaining anything more then an apology from Turkey.

Comment

Working...
                      X