Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Life in Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Life in Armenia

Originally posted by Mher View Post
    That is sad to hear, and I have also heard about similar cases. A significant part of the problem is the government, the corruption in the government, and selfish and shortsighted leaders worrying about their own self interest. Unfortunately, unlike our neighbors with similar, or worse, governments, we do not have millions of people to spare. Even worse, a large part of our immigrants leave for the west, thousands of miles away, where they will eventually become assimilated.

I personally can no longer just wait around and hope things in Armenia get better. I was planning on moving to Armenia a few year after finishing college, but now, seeing how things are changing, I am going move immediately after college. I have a few friends who are excellent students in excellent universities here in California and they share a similar sentiment. I am hoping a precedent can be set in the youth here, especially the educated youth, to start a movement back to Armenia.
    Sad indeed. He is a patriotic Armenian that would give his life for Armenia, and he would be a great contributor to the Armenian country. But just because the Government can't give him a simple passport, they will lose this patriotic, hard-working Armenian who would raise a family and contribute to Armenia. Because of this citizenship, he will move to a country where the government can respect him and give him citizenship. It's astonishing that a foreign government will give him quicker this citizenship than the Armenian. I don't understand - if the government doesn't want such individuals in Armenia, what individuals do they want? This citizenship process needs to be rebuild - no question.
    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
    ---
    "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Just made a donation to Armenia Fund. They've been doing countless projects for armenia the past 10 years, and have raised around 200 million dollars. A few dollars from every armenian in the world will make a difference, one of the current projects is providing clean water to villages in Artsakh.
      Last edited by arakeretzig; 11-25-2011, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arakeretzig View Post
        Just made a donation to Armenia Fund. They've been doing countless projects for armenia the past 10 years, and have raised around 300 million dollars. A few dollars from every armenian in the world will make a difference, one of the current projects is providing clean water to villages in Artsakh.
        It is a great event just in the fact that it brings Armenians from all over the world together for a day.

But does anyone know how effective and efficient Armenia Fund is? Anyone have any knowledge of any corruption or misuse of funds?
        I know they have pictures of some of their projects of the past on their site.

Comment

It is a great event just in the fact that it brings Armenians from all over the world together for a day.

But does anyone know how effective and efficient Armenia Fund is? Anyone have any knowledge of any corruption or misuse of funds?
          I know they have pictures of some of their projects of the past on their site.
          Ah, the ideal excuse for self-hating Armenians not to contribute. Always talking about corruption, always bringing in the flow of pessimism and negativism to everything related to Armenia. If you are a self-respecting Armenia, you don't care if only 5 dollars of your 50 dollar contribution arrives in Armenia, you will be happy with the 5 dollar arriving in the right destination. This is the excuse I know A LOT of Armenians are using not to contribute, and you are contributing to this.

Driving through Armenia, dozens of places have been renovated together with dozens of roads. In Artsakh on every corner you can see their signs "renovated by All-Armenia fund". Just as with any other huge humanitarian organisation, to exactly know how much they spent on what is difficult, in Armenia, in Europea, in the US, the easiest way is to see how many projects they have completed. It's never 100%.

It wouldn't surprise me if you found that one project some thousands of dollars have been misused, to spread the words to other Armenians that the whole organisation is corrupt and to say nobody should contribute. Armenians are self-destructive and are more eager (and prefer) to hear something bad about our country than something good.

(Don't take it personal, I know you are a self-respecting Armenian and don't mean it that way, but most other Armenians do).
          Last edited by Tigranakert; 11-26-2011, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigranakert View Post
            Ah, the ideal excuse for self-hating Armenians not to contribute. Always talking about corruption, always bringing in the flow of pessimism and negativism to everything related to Armenia. If you are a self-respecting Armenia, you don't care if only 5 dollars of your 50 dollar contribution arrives in Armenia, you will be happy with the 5 dollar arriving in the right destination. This is the excuse I know A LOT of Armenians are using not to contribute, and you are contributing to this.

Driving through Armenia, dozens of places have been renovated together with dozens of roads. In Artsakh on every corner you can see their signs "renovated by All-Armenia fund". Just as with any other huge humanitarian organisation, to exactly know how much they spent on what is difficult, in Armenia, in Europea, in the US, the easiest way is to see how many projects they have completed. It's never 100%.

It wouldn't surprise me if you found that one project some thousands of dollars have been misused, to spread the words to other Armenians that the whole organisation is corrupt and to say nobody should contribute. Armenians are self-destructive and are more eager (and prefer) to hear something bad about our country than something good.

(Don't take it personal, I know you are a self-respecting Armenian and don't mean it that way, but most other Armenians do).
            That is crap. Why should we be happy with $5 going where it should? That is not acceptable; all of it should except what is essential for running the operation. We should not tolerate corruption. If there's a choice to give to a charity that gets a larger percentage of donations allocated to the PURPOSE for which the funds were donated, then I'll give there.
            One could very well accuse you of making excuses as well. Why make excuses for thieves who steal from the poor, infirm, hungry, homeless, disabled, and orphaned? Are you really advocating that we say "ah well, at least 10% of the money makes it where it was supposed to go?" and still support "charities" or organizations that operate this way? It is not exactly black and white... The only options are not to either not make any contribution or to contribute money to corrupt organizations.
            [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
            -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

I never said there was any corruption. My family and I donated more than we could honestly afford. However I simply raised a question about something that I've heard from others. Also, why should I okay with 90% of my money being stolen and not given to what I intended for it to be given. Why should I accept that corruption should be part of the process? I'm not trying to spread negativity among Armenians. I am just stating a basic fact. I personally know what the negativity does. I am a member of a youth organizations, and we have a donation system where Armenians can trade in their credit card for an identical Armenian themed credit card sponsored by Capital One which has benefits for our organization as a percentage of their spendings goes to us. They don’t have to spend anything extra, or change their spending habits, and they can fund dozens of projects for us by simply continuing their same spending habits. However, we get very few people who do this because people feel like since its associated Armenians there is bound to fraud.

Unfortunately, this negativity exists because in many ways it is based on reality. We have to end all acceptance of any corruption in our culture. There is no right type or amount of corruption. Unless we do, such negativities will continue to exist. Again, I was not saying that Armeniafund is corrupt in any way whatsoever. I was simply asking IF there was ANY corruption. From what I see, from the people who put their names on the line, and the end result, I can claim that there is atleast some legitimacy. I just wanted to know more.

Comment

It's far better to start and administer, small community orientated, not-for-profit business of your own. Which will qualify for all sort of government grants and schemes. Than to give large amounts of money to a charitable fund. As a lot of charities are often run by paid administrators, who sit around, devising new ways to siphon money out of the kitty and award contracts to their cronies.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigranakert View Post

This is the silliest thing I've ever read. Armenia Fund is an organization with a good track record and you're making them look bad by saying "You shouldn't care about any possible corruption" when asked if there is any.

Comment

Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

• Re: Life in Armenia

I never said there was any corruption. My family and I donated more than we could honestly afford. However I simply raised a question about something that I've heard from others. Also, why should I okay with 90% of my money being stolen and not given to what I intended for it to be given. Why should I accept that corruption should be part of the process? I'm not trying to spread negativity among Armenians. I am just stating a basic fact. I personally know what the negativity does. I am a member of a youth organizations, and we have a donation system where Armenians can trade in their credit card for an identical Armenian themed credit card sponsored by Capital One which has benefits for our organization as a percentage of their spendings goes to us. They don’t have to spend anything extra, or change their spending habits, and they can fund dozens of projects for us by simply continuing their same spending habits. However, we get very few people who do this because people feel like since its associated Armenians there is bound to fraud.

Unfortunately, this negativity exists because in many ways it is based on reality. We have to end all acceptance of any corruption in our culture. There is no right type or amount of corruption. Unless we do, such negativities will continue to exist. Again, I was not saying that Armeniafund is corrupt in any way whatsoever. I was simply asking IF there was ANY corruption. From what I see, from the people who put their names on the line, and the end result, I can claim that there is atleast some legitimacy. I just wanted to know more.
                      well, now you've seen that it's not a fake fund. why don't you spread the word to those same people who accused the fund? they'll in turn spread the word it's not a fake fund, yev ayl, yev ayl.

Comment

Working...
                      X