Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Are Armenians white????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are Armenians white????

Originally posted by freakyfreaky View Post
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Just when it looked like the federal government might have to put a barbed wire fence around the city of Glendale for reasons of national security, good news arrived Monday from the crime busters at the U.S.

Read it and weep.

Archive for Wednesday, December 18, 2002
    No Straight Answer From the Feds on Armenian Furor
    By Steve Lopez
    December 18, 2002 in print edition B-1

Just when it looked like the federal government might have to put a barbed wire fence around the city of Glendale for reasons of national security, good news arrived Monday from the crime busters at the U.S. Justice Department.

Armenian nationals do not – repeat, DO NOT – have to report to the Immigration and Naturalization Service for fingerprinting and registration.

It was all a mistake, and Armenians can now return to their normal activities.

Or maybe it wasn’t a mistake.

I can’t tell, and the really frightening thing is that the Justice Department can’t seem to tell either. After rescinding the order calling for Armenians to fall in line and be accounted for, a Justice Department spokesman was asked by The Times about the goof, and here’s what we got out of him:

“I can’t say it was a mistake.”

Well then what was it? And if they couldn’t get this right, and couldn’t at least come up with a credible lie, why should we assume the feds are capable of getting anything else right when it comes to homeland security?

This all began late last week when Armenia, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan were added to a list of 18 mostly Muslim nations whose nationals are required to register if they’re male, 16 or older, and here as students or visitors.

This requirement sent the nation’s 1.5 million Armenian Americans into a frenzy, and California, home to half of them, led the outrage campaign.

Californians sent more than half the 10,000 letters of protests filed with the White House over the weekend.

“Not only is Armenia a staunch supporter of the United States, but Armenian people have had a long history of being integrated into the fabric of this great nation,” said Ardy Kassakhian of the Armenian National Committee of America’s Western regional office in Glendale, which has roughly 70,000 Armenians.

“Armenia is also a Christian nation surrounded by Muslim neighbors, and hostile ones at that,” he said. “Does anyone even read history or the newspaper or anything?”

That could be it. This might be a simple case of someone in the Bush administration having flunked geography, and thinking Armenia was a suburb of Tehran.

If someone had made a movie called “My Big Fat Armenian Wedding,” this probably wouldn’t have happened.

Other possible explanations? This was a wink and a nod to Turkey, a strategic ally that has a long history of conflict with Armenia.

Or some mid-level weasel decided it would look bad to have only one other non-Muslim nation – besides North Korea – on the list.

“It’s not geography or history or anything like that,” insisted Harut Sassounian, publisher of the California Courier, a weekly newspaper based in Glendale and serving a national Armenian audience.

“I happen to know through sources in Washington that it was initiated by someone in homeland security,” said Sassounian, who insists there was an overreaction to a report that Armenia’s borders are not “watertight.”

Whose are?

Adding Armenia to the list was all the more absurd, Sassounian said, when you consider that some of its border countries aren’t on the list even though they’ve been suspected of having terrorists in their midst.

“The U.S. government has troops in Georgia right now to hunt down Al Qaeda members, and Georgia is not on the list,” Sassounian said. “It’s all games, politics and self-serving positions.”

If it weren’t, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan would have been the first countries on the list, not the last.

Saudi Arabia harbored or produced many of the Sept. 11 terrorists, and Pakistan is home to schools that are grooming the next generation of anti-American terrorists.

Look, we wouldn’t even need the fingerprinting and registration if the feds hadn’t been asleep at the wheel for decades, and actually kept track of foreigners who were here temporarily.

Now the Bush administration is playing catch-up, still rudderless, but trying to look like it’s doing something useful by rounding up anybody who doesn’t go to the same church as John Ashcroft or Tom Ridge.

Does anybody think there’s a terrorist dumb enough to go down to the local INS office and introduce himself?

In the new world, I don’t know too many people who would object to the government finally reforming immigration controls.

But is it too much to ask for some consistency and logic, or for someone to articulate a coherent policy that doesn’t remind us of internment camps?

Why not put Spain and Germany on the list because of the Al Qaeda operatives in those countries?

Why not all of Indonesia, which has the world’s largest population of Muslims?

Is it religion, geography or trade status that gets you on the list, or is someone in the White House throwing darts at a map?

And can we really trust Canada?

Steve Lopez writes Sunday, Wednesday and Friday. Reach him at [email protected].

--------------------------------------------

Don't recall Turkey being put on that list.

If a white christian nation categorizes other christians, of which you are a member, as white, and then group you with muslims after declaring a war on islamo-muslim fascists, then how white are you?

How many Armenians are in the U.S.? In the world? Talk about a white minority.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjVZaZ4o6_4
    ------------------

UC Students including Armenians, seek universities' proper identification of their ethnicity. http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,1054147.story

Students push UC to expand terms of ethnic identification

Email Picture
    Stefano Paltera, For The Times
    Nicole Salame says she does not agree with the UC policy that Arabs are considered white. “It did not make sense to me,” said Salame, who ended up checking “Other” on her application to the university.
    Middle Easterners want alternatives to 'white' and 'other.'
    By Raja Abdulrahim
    March 31, 2009
    Nicole Salame, 19, was filling out an application to UCLA last year when she got to the question about race and ethnicity. She thought a mistake had been made.

"I read it five times and was like, where is Middle Eastern?" the freshman recently recalled. "Is it on the other page, did it get cut off? I thought they forgot."

UC San Diego admissions gaffe dashes students' hopes -- again
    Her Lebanese-born mother told her Arabs are considered white, but Salame didn't believe her. Her high school counselor told her the same thing.

"It did not make sense to me, it's so far-fetched," said Salame, who ended up checking "Other."

For years the federal government has classified Arab Americans and Middle Easterners as white. But confusion and disagreement have led some students to check "Asian" or "African," depending on what part of the Middle East they came from. Some, like Salame, simply marked "Other."

Now several UCLA student groups -- including Arabs, Iranians, Afghanis and Armenians -- have launched a campaign to add a Middle Eastern category, with various subgroups, to the University of California admissions application. They hope to emulate the Asian Pacific Coalition's "Count Me In" campaign, which a few years ago successfully lobbied for the inclusion of 23 ethnic categories on the UC application, including Hmong, Pakistani, Native Hawaiian and Samoan.

The UCLA students said having their own ethnic designation goes beyond self-identity and has real implications for the larger Arab and Middle Eastern communities.

The "white" label can hurt them with universities and companies that use the information to promote diversity, they say, and can result in the gathering of little or no statistical data on important issues, such as health trends in the community. Voter-approved Proposition 209 bars California's public colleges from considering race in admissions.

The Arab American Institute estimates that including Middle Easterners in the white category on the census has led to a population undercount of more than a million, said Helen Samhan, who works at the institute. There are more than 3 million Arabs in the United States, the institute says.

There is no count of Middle Easterners at UCLA. Student groups estimate that there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of Persians and Arabs among the more than 40,000 students on campus.

"It's not just about wanting a category on a form," said Sarah Gualtieri, a USC professor of American studies and ethnicity. "I think you see particularly among a younger population a desire to really claim . . . both sides of the hyphen of Arab and American."

Gualtieri is the author of a forthcoming book, "Between Arab and White: Race and Ethnicity in the Early Syrian American Diaspora," that explores how Syrian immigrants, who were considered Asian, waged a legal battle in the early 1900s to be classified as white and thus eligible for citizenship. At the time some were barred by the courts under the Asian Exclusion Act.

That classification was cemented in the late 1970s when the Office of Management and Budget, a federal agency, listed all Middle Easterners as white.

But in the last few decades there has been a push to establish a separate category as the general population has grown more diverse and because of the possible benefits it could bring.

"Back then, to get rights you needed to be white," said Yasi Chehroudi, president of the Iranian Student Group, which is helping spearhead the University of California campaign. "Now it helps to be yourself."

UC officials are aware of the UCLA students' campaign and are exploring the possibility of changing the ethnic categories on the university's application form, said Nina Robinson, director of policy for the Department of Student Affairs. A decision could come in the next six months.

But any change in ethnicity categories could affect data trends, Robinson said. For example, if those who in the past would have checked white were to start checking another category, it would appear as a sudden drop in white applicants.

"It's reasonable that Middle Eastern people don't like to be lumped in with white, so I think there's a lot of sympathy for the issue," Robinson said. "But there are also a lot of issues" to consider.

In a 1997 report on the census, the Office of Management and Budget pointed out that while Arab Americans suffer from stereotyping, they tend to be more educated and affluent than the average American. The report questioned whether they should be placed in a minority category, which could increase their chances for benefits aimed at the socially and economically disadvantaged. Some in the Middle Eastern community agree.

But UCLA junior Shawn Gabrill said he has more in common with other children of immigrants than with those whose parents were born in this country.

"I feel like when I put down 'white' on an application, they assume my parents finished high school, went to college and that English was my first language," the 20-year-old English major said. "And none of these things describe me."

Gabrill, the son of Jordanian and Egyptian parents, said he had difficulties with the college application but, because he was seen as white, he wasn't identified as someone who needed extra help from high school counselors.

"So it's kind of like we're in between. We're not white, but we're not as disadvantaged as the other groups so we don't get any of that aid," he said. "So we're kind of invisible in that way."

[email protected]
    Between childhood, boyhood,
    adolescence
    & manhood (maturity) there
    should be sharp lines drawn w/
    Tests, deaths, feats, rites
    stories, songs & judgements

- Morrison, Jim. Wilderness, vol. 1, p. 22

Comment

Why is it so important being "white". Creating and seeking for evidence that you (whoever you are, Armenian, Georgian, Kurd etc) are white is pure racism.

White, Yellow, Black, Red... all are bullxxxx. Even Japans claim they are white.

White races do not exist. It was invented for the sake of legalisation of the colonial imperialism.

Comment

Listen to what Serzh says about Armenians being European.

Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
        ---
        "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

I'm only "White" when it comes to university applications. If they're pushing quotas, I need in anyway I can.

Comment

White is relative term, the Irish were not seen as white till the early 1900s even though they are pallid and most definitely European, regardless America refused to see them as white, instead as pale Negros (I xxxx you not)

The original racial anthropological schmucks defined Caucasians and Caucasoids of havng "Blond hair, Blue eyes and a rosy complexion", this is the reverse of the natives of the Caucasus and for that matter many Europeans (Italians, Spaniards, Polish, Irish, etc.)

What do we define as Caucasoid, thats my question :

Is the blond haired, blue eyed, prominent chinned dolichocephalic German similar to the Black haired, brown eyes, non prominent chinned brachycephalic Iranian, by definition yes, but with cranial anthropology it does not seem similar

Comment

I don't know about you guys, but I can spot an Armenian a mile away.
              Then again, maybe it's just my supernatural powers.

Comment

Caucasoid today just means not Mongoloid or Negroid. It's a very broad category and it even includes populations from India with dark, negro-like skin, because as you've stated, it's based on cranial (and the body in general) anthropology, not on the exterior complexion of the object of analysis.

In any case, people aren't happy with this sort of division and feel the need to probe further. Afterall, what happens when you have a mulatto? You need an extra category to put him in. What happens when you want to differentiate a Caucasoid from India and one from Europe? You need to make sub-categories.

etc... etc... thus categories are made for the needs of different institutions, "parsing" peoples' backgrounds based on criteria viewed to be relevant.

I wouldn't get very hung up about it, it's just a natural social phenomenon and it has existed since the dawn of man, he has always needed to make these boundaries and categorizations that accurately reference a well defined exogamic or exogenous community. Accept it and move on.
                Last edited by jgk3; 04-08-2009, 05:08 PM.

Comment

No I see your point, but Dolichocephalic is the reverse of Brachycephalic, Black hair the reverse of Blond hair, High cheekbones the reverse of low, etc.

How can people claim someone with opposing features is similar, that is unscientific, whimsical not to mention illogical

Comment

Dolichocephaly and Brachycephaly occur in all of the 3 major anthropological categories for humans. The criterion for this differentiation is not based on that. If I find a neat list that tells the actual visible (physical) distinctions involved, I'll post it here.

Comment

Please do, I don't mind the classifications at all, just find them amusing, I think everyone can agree over the years anthropology has seen some pretty stupid things and alot of it needs a good slap

Comment

Working...
                      X